CA Technologies Reviews

Reset
3.1
CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • I thought the work-life balance was great for where I was in my life (in 135 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Ruthless senior management at Corporate (in 38 reviews)

1. CA was definitely challenging...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CA has some very smart employees and challenging products to work on. Working with these smart people and challenging products will definitely help you learn about business and improve your technical skills. People there are generally willing to help you and to work together, but you definitely need to learn how to stand on your own two legs when the pressure is on. Also, the benefits are not bad.

Cons

CA has an environment where it is difficult to trust management since there are re-orgs that happen far too often. The company is obviously very slow-moving since it is so big.

Advice to Management

If you're going to have re-orgs so often, make sure you gain the trust of the people you want to keep before they get cold feet!

2. Principal Software Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of assignments. Rich multinational, multicultural human resources.

Cons

Compensation. Uneven career development opportunities (heavily depends on business unit, boss, project ...)

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place has no Pros.. The only thing I would say is good benefits.

Cons

This place is just not for young professionals. This place operate on the slowest rate as possible. Management do claiming that they used Agile. I guess they do not know what is Agile. The meeting are lengthy and 95% of time is unnecessary. Scrum standups last long for 1 hour. In that managers discuss about their family and dogs, etc... Management do not have clear vision. Frequent change in management makes it more difficult. Management do not understand about technology market Constant layoffs. Career growth is nightmare. Do not join CA at any case.

Advice to Management

Management should be more clear about the vision. Management should also take the criticism.

Big company with many problems...

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies

Pros

Decent pay, lots of opportunity, interesting place to work with many benefits

Cons

Layoffs are random and non performance based. Every year you have to worry about your job based on unseen metrics and despite reassurances from management/glowing performance reviews

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing and rehiring, train people to do what they need to do.

6. A very large company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Average perks Movement/Promotion opportunities Often promote from within

Cons

A very large company with lots of politics Care more about the product than the people Scapegoats are found regularly

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your people Take responsibility instead of setting people up to fail

7. Software engineer

Current Employee - Engineering Services Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Services Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible and nice culture. You will have time to pursue things. Work life balance. World class enterprise products. Recent CEO making lot of changes to the good direction like investing cloud technologies etc

Cons

CA - change always.u never know when things changes dramatically and the impact.

8. Family friendly, Performance oriented work culture

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CA Technologies has a Goal oriented , performance focused work culture. At the same time it has a very family friendly work environment. They are also aiming to up the ante in existing and new market areas so all product groups have exciting work going on. Sky is the limit if you are a self motivated person who loves moving technology products further. Really enjoying my stint at this company. Many companies promise a career but CA Technologies actually delivers a path.

Cons

- Still struggling with strategy and direction for rapid growth - Needs to cull remnant non-performing culture - Needs to quickly build an attractive and cohesive brand image around it's franchise

Advice to Management

Take more risks and give more freedom to your mid level managers and your engineers.

Great if you're new, Indian or in Santa Clara, Fort Collins or Plano

I worked at CA Technologies full-time

Pros

The company pays well if you're not topped out. If you're in Hyderabad and looking to join there are lots of jobs, and more to come. If you're in Santa Clara, there are lots of perks designed to attract new talent. Growth also in Plano and Fort Collins for these product lines. If you're coming from a poorly-funded startup CA can look like manna from heaven. Beware, though, because appearances can be deceiving. Benefits are decent, although not what they were from what I heard. Mike Gregoire talks a good game and has infused some energy after the last CEO. Not convinced though that all of the executives really believe it or are just looking to cash out.

Cons

Pretty much all of the new senior technology execs being hired are Indian males based in Santa Clara or a select few other offices. There have been comments from employees that these new hires are very difficult to work for, and questionable decisions being made. Islandia is dying, as are other offices in the East. NYC is the new corporate HQ. Mike Gregoire still has his house in Silicon Valley so that should be a hint. Company lays off at least quarterly, and no positions are truly safe. Layoffs aren't always logical and great people are let go or leaving due to no growth opportunity. Tons of politics, even still.

Advice to Management

You're just about at your limit of asking people to do more, more, more. Lots of people are looking to leave now that the job situation has improved, and you can't replace a tenured person with an associate, regardless of what you think.

Good people but constant changes add risk and reduce advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Advisor, Corporate Marketing in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Advisor, Corporate Marketing in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people and good work life balance. most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place. Your boss likely works somewhere other than you. CA pays better than most of its competitors, but raises are tiny so don't count on moving up fast once you are hired.

Cons

The constant changes in senior leadership mean that layoffs happen at least twice per year. And major organizational shifts happen at least twice a year. A co-worker of mine had 14 managers in 3 years. Because of this your manager will never get to know well enough to lobby for you to get a meaningful promotion, or raise.

Advice to Management

Give changes enough time to succeed.

11. Good pay, good people, great flexibility

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had a really great experience working at CA. I've been on two different marketing teams and both of my managers have had my best interests in mind. They don't want to overload you, but warn you that it may happen, and it does. They let you know they appreciate the work you do and you get credit for it! Pay is pretty nice compared to what I've heard elsewhere and depending on the team, you can work from home as much as you like as long as your job is getting done (more for the widespread virtual teams like mine). My office has a free gym and workout classes, Montessori school and small but good cafeteria. We hold employee events every few months to help get everyone away from their desks and play for a day. Fun vibe.

Cons

In a company with 14k employees and 600+ products, it can get a little crazy. You have to cover a lot of ground and do it quickly. Finalizing projects can be a hassle when you have to consult 5 different teams, but that's probably the case at any big company. I hear that some teams are just unpleasant (bad management primarily), but I haven't encountered that in marketing. I have noticed that those people who don't really "connect" with anyone tend to leave within a year. Both of my teams have been like mini-families and those who have no personality seem to just disappear.

Advice to Management

My management has been great, but I do know that some management members out there don't respect their team's work/life balance and they SHOULD. My bosses have always pushed for us to work hard, but not overwhelm ourselves (on a constant basis) and to put health first especially. I've been pretty lucky in the manager department.

Showing 53 of 1,332 reviews