CA Technologies Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated August 1, 2014
3.4

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • I thought the work-life balance was great for where I was in my life (in 114 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Family friendly, Performance oriented work culture

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

CA Technologies has a Goal oriented , performance focused work culture. At the same time it has a very family friendly work environment. They are also aiming to up the ante in existing and new market areas so all product groups have exciting work going on. Sky is the limit if you are a self motivated person who loves moving technology products further. Really enjoying my stint at this company. Many companies promise a career but CA Technologies actually delivers a path.

Cons

- Still struggling with strategy and direction for rapid growth
    - Needs to cull remnant non-performing culture
     - Needs to quickly build an attractive and cohesive brand image around it's franchise

Take more risks and give more freedom to your mid level managers and your engineers.

Great if you're new, Indian or in Santa Clara, Fort Collins or Plano

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time

Pros

The company pays well if you're not topped out. If you're in Hyderabad and looking to join there are lots of jobs, and more to come. If you're in Santa Clara, there are lots of perks designed to attract new talent. Growth also in Plano and Fort Collins for these product lines.

If you're coming from a poorly-funded startup CA can look like manna from heaven. Beware, though, because appearances can be deceiving.

Benefits are decent, although not what they were from what I heard.

Mike Gregoire talks a good game and has infused some energy after the last CEO. Not convinced though that all of the executives really believe it or are just looking to cash out.

Cons

Pretty much all of the new senior technology execs being hired are Indian males based in Santa Clara or a select few other offices. There have been comments from employees that these new hires are very difficult to work for, and questionable decisions being made.

Islandia is dying, as are other offices in the East. NYC is the new corporate HQ. Mike Gregoire still has his house in Silicon Valley so that should be a hint.

Company lays off at least quarterly, and no positions are truly safe. Layoffs aren't always logical and great people are let go or leaving due to no growth opportunity.

Tons of politics, even still.

You're just about at your limit of asking people to do more, more, more. Lots of people are looking to leave now that the job situation has improved, and you can't replace a tenured person with an associate, regardless of what you think.

Good people but constant changes add risk and reduce advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Advisor, Corporate Marketing  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Advisor, Corporate Marketing in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people and good work life balance. most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place. Your boss likely works somewhere other than you. CA pays better than most of its competitors, but raises are tiny so don't count on moving up fast once you are hired.

Cons

The constant changes in senior leadership mean that layoffs happen at least twice per year. And major organizational shifts happen at least twice a year. A co-worker of mine had 14 managers in 3 years. Because of this your manager will never get to know well enough to lobby for you to get a meaningful promotion, or raise.

Give changes enough time to succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, good people, great flexibility

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've had a really great experience working at CA. I've been on two different marketing teams and both of my managers have had my best interests in mind. They don't want to overload you, but warn you that it may happen, and it does. They let you know they appreciate the work you do and you get credit for it! Pay is pretty nice compared to what I've heard elsewhere and depending on the team, you can work from home as much as you like as long as your job is getting done (more for the widespread virtual teams like mine).

My office has a free gym and workout classes, Montessori school and small but good cafeteria. We hold employee events every few months to help get everyone away from their desks and play for a day. Fun vibe.

Cons

In a company with 14k employees and 600+ products, it can get a little crazy. You have to cover a lot of ground and do it quickly. Finalizing projects can be a hassle when you have to consult 5 different teams, but that's probably the case at any big company. I hear that some teams are just unpleasant (bad management primarily), but I haven't encountered that in marketing. I have noticed that those people who don't really "connect" with anyone tend to leave within a year. Both of my teams have been like mini-families and those who have no personality seem to just disappear.

My management has been great, but I do know that some management members out there don't respect their team's work/life balance and they SHOULD. My bosses have always pushed for us to work hard, but not overwhelm ourselves (on a constant basis) and to put health first especially. I've been pretty lucky in the manager department.

Principal Software Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Great people to work with
    -Great work environment and they encourage community service
    -Competitive salary

Cons

-Too many layoffs
    -Less remote work ability

Typical corporate environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Free access to gym
    • On-site cafeteria
    • On-site children's center for those w/kids
    • Great co-workers
    • Good benefits
    • Flexible (can work from home)

Cons

• Boring culture & environment
    • Different organizations seem to be very disconnected and confusing
    • Preaches innovation, but uses outdated technology, software and equipment
    • Desperately needs structure and organization

Don't just listen to employees' concerns. Take action and do something about it instead of giving false hope. Too many changes within management. There seems to be a trend of people leaving on their own will, getting laid-off, fired or retiring. Company seems to keep shifting constantly and not sticking to goals and the task at hand.

Steady Stable Software Development work

Former Employee - Manager  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, bright engineers, interesting products to work on. Broad opportunities to work in different technologies within the company.

Cons

Culture varies depending on the product you work in, some product teams are moribund but others are vibrant and offer more opportunities for progress. As you grow up the management chain, there is more politics and less software innovation happening.

Create a stronger software development culture and less of a software maintenance culture.

Poorly managed unsure of what it wants to be

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly good work life balance

Cons

Lack of direction and commitment to products and projects

Decide what you want to be

Frequent layoffs

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

People were friendly at the office.

Cons

Relatively low compensation, frequent layoffs

loyalty is one way. Culture & values come from coworkers

Former Employee - Customer Success Director  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Director in Framingham, MA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers are very helpful & sincere

Cons

You're expected to work & be available 24 x 7

Upper management should know that it's not about them looking good to their managers. It would be beneficial for management to embrace "culture & values."

Worked for CA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!