CA Technologies

CA Technologies Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated May 29, 2014

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire

Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • I thought the work-life balance was great for where I was in my life (in 114 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights
46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good pay, good people, great flexibility

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsI've had a really great experience working at CA. I've been on two different marketing teams and both of my managers have had my best interests in mind. They don't want to overload you, but warn you that it may happen, and it does. They let you know they appreciate the work you do and you get credit for it! Pay is pretty nice compared to what I've heard elsewhere and depending on the team, you can work from home as much as you like as long as your job is getting done (more for the widespread virtual teams like mine).

My office has a free gym and workout classes, Montessori school and small but good cafeteria. We hold employee events every few months to help get everyone away from their desks and play for a day. Fun vibe.

ConsIn a company with 14k employees and 600+ products, it can get a little crazy. You have to cover a lot of ground and do it quickly. Finalizing projects can be a hassle when you have to consult 5 different teams, but that's probably the case at any big company. I hear that some teams are just unpleasant (bad management primarily), but I haven't encountered that in marketing. I have noticed that those people who don't really "connect" with anyone tend to leave within a year. Both of my teams have been like mini-families and those who have no personality seem to just disappear.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management has been great, but I do know that some management members out there don't respect their team's work/life balance and they SHOULD. My bosses have always pushed for us to work hard, but not overwhelm ourselves (on a constant basis) and to put health first especially. I've been pretty lucky in the manager department.

Great if you're new, Indian or in Santa Clara, Fort Collins or Plano

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsThe company pays well if you're not topped out. If you're in Hyderabad and looking to join there are lots of jobs, and more to come. If you're in Santa Clara, there are lots of perks designed to attract new talent. Growth also in Plano and Fort Collins for these product lines.

If you're coming from a poorly-funded startup CA can look like manna from heaven. Beware, though, because appearances can be deceiving.

Benefits are decent, although not what they were from what I heard.

Mike Gregoire talks a good game and has infused some energy after the last CEO. Not convinced though that all of the executives really believe it or are just looking to cash out.

ConsPretty much all of the new senior technology execs being hired are Indian males based in Santa Clara or a select few other offices. There have been comments from employees that these new hires are very difficult to work for, and questionable decisions being made.

Islandia is dying, as are other offices in the East. NYC is the new corporate HQ. Mike Gregoire still has his house in Silicon Valley so that should be a hint.

Company lays off at least quarterly, and no positions are truly safe. Layoffs aren't always logical and great people are let go or leaving due to no growth opportunity.

Tons of politics, even still.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're just about at your limit of asking people to do more, more, more. Lots of people are looking to leave now that the job situation has improved, and you can't replace a tenured person with an associate, regardless of what you think.

Good people but constant changes add risk and reduce advancement opportunities

Advisor, Corporate Marketing (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsSmart people and good work life balance. most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place. Your boss likely works somewhere other than you. CA pays better than most of its competitors, but raises are tiny so don't count on moving up fast once you are hired.

ConsThe constant changes in senior leadership mean that layoffs happen at least twice per year. And major organizational shifts happen at least twice a year. A co-worker of mine had 14 managers in 3 years. Because of this your manager will never get to know well enough to lobby for you to get a meaningful promotion, or raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive changes enough time to succeed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Principal Software Engineer

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH

Pros-Great people to work with
    -Great work environment and they encourage community service
    -Competitive salary

Cons-Too many layoffs
    -Less remote work ability

Typical corporate environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

Pros• Free access to gym
    • On-site cafeteria
    • On-site children's center for those w/kids
    • Great co-workers
    • Good benefits
    • Flexible (can work from home)

Cons• Boring culture & environment
    • Different organizations seem to be very disconnected and confusing
    • Preaches innovation, but uses outdated technology, software and equipment
    • Desperately needs structure and organization

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just listen to employees' concerns. Take action and do something about it instead of giving false hope. Too many changes within management. There seems to be a trend of people leaving on their own will, getting laid-off, fired or retiring. Company seems to keep shifting constantly and not sticking to goals and the task at hand.

Steady Stable Software Development work

Manager (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsFlexible schedules, bright engineers, interesting products to work on. Broad opportunities to work in different technologies within the company.

ConsCulture varies depending on the product you work in, some product teams are moribund but others are vibrant and offer more opportunities for progress. As you grow up the management chain, there is more politics and less software innovation happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a stronger software development culture and less of a software maintenance culture.

Poorly managed unsure of what it wants to be

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFairly good work life balance

ConsLack of direction and commitment to products and projects

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what you want to be

Frequent layoffs

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsPeople were friendly at the office.

ConsRelatively low compensation, frequent layoffs

loyalty is one way. Culture & values come from coworkers

Customer Success Director (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsCoworkers are very helpful & sincere

ConsYou're expected to work & be available 24 x 7

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should know that it's not about them looking good to their managers. It would be beneficial for management to embrace "culture & values."

Very meritocratic, super family friendly

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsEmployee first philosophy. During my last stint it was share holder value and customer first blah blah but the management has realized that if the employee is not happy he cannot make others happy.

Good green initiatives.

Work from home and family friendly(in most groups).

Good performance bonuses, 401k bonuses and rewards. I feel very motivated to outperform as I feel I have a good chance of getting rewarded

ConsSometimes you can feel disconnected from the executives

Struggling to move from a value company to a growth company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold and take initiatives to get into newer markets. Cannibalize yourself before some one else eats your pie. A lot of things are in place to execute on that. Make the performance based culture more solid so that every one stays more motivated and focused on growth.

Worked for CA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!