CA Technologies Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.4

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • I thought the work-life balance was great for where I was in my life (in 114 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked extended hours regularly but was paid well to do so

I worked at CA Technologies

Pros

Massive bonuses, flexible WFM, great PTO

Cons

Extended hours and significant org changes happen frequently

A significant org change every quarter is a bit much.

Great Culture and Innovation

Current Employee - Presales  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Presales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture under Gregoire. Innovation and trust are key in the culture.

Cons

Turnover of account managers leads to a lot of re-training for new reps and reduced customer loyalty.

Continue on the path we are on. Great new energy, trust, innovation and excitement within the organization.

Awesome company, Best pay and most flexible working hours

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Plano, TX

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparent reviews, Educated peers, Weekly management meetings, Voted best place to work..What more !!

Cons

Company is re-shaping and revamping itself. Kind of re-inventing its role in the market. That takes time

Keep up the good job !!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing company with a lot of promise

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule flexibility, great young culture, fun environment to work in. CEO has a great vision, management is very hands on and true to life "Open door policy."

Cons

Too much turnover, company lacks the professional cohesiveness between inside sales and field reps. Over a year working and I saw more people leave than promoted. Advancement opportunities seem thin.

Strengthen the importance of the field reps trusting inside sales reps. The company will continue to grow but I feel there is a dissolving within the company to keep everyone happy long term.

Salary is very good and benefits are great; very difficult if not impossible to advance if you're not in Islandia.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many telework positions, salary is good and virtual teams can become great collaborators.

Cons

Lots of cronyism makes it difficult to advance if you're outside the (DeNiro) circle.

A lot of the jobs are teleworked anyway so make more of them available across the country.

intern

I have been working at CA Technologies

Pros

office culture, laid back environment

Cons

pay is less, less office space

Change needs to happen at all levels

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible workplace, great benefits, good pay in the US. The new senior management taking the company in a new direction and it is very positive. A lot of great lower level employees. The new CEO and CMO are a good reason to join or stay at CA Technologies- their vision is compelling and exciting.

Cons

While senior management has changed for the better, middle management remains the same old CA. The constant infighting in middle management creates little fiefdoms. The lack of interest in working together from middle management is maddening in the US. Office politics here can be frightening and middle managers actively work against each other to the overall detriment of the company. Lower level workers get the short end of the stick because of their poor leadership and the empire building from the VP level. There is little incentive for poor managers to get better since many of them know they will never be fired- just moved into a new role managing a new team. Moving bad managers into new roles instead of firing them, has been happening for years at CA and that is why there are so many bad managers now. The good people will find jobs elsewhere because of it.

Take advice from HR on weeding out some of the bad managers. HR knows who needs to be extracted. Bad managers create a negative environment and you will never accomplish your goals with middle managers actively working against each other. Pay attention to manager scores on employee sat surveys, employee exit interviews and have HR talk to people confidentially about their managers. A lot of good people leave CA because of bad managers and it should be an easy problem to fix. Plus, if you fix that, you start fixing the culture to be more positive, innovative, and collaborative.

Great company but erroneous cuts - - too many, no backfills

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is very good and you are paid for performance. Work life balance is also good since most of the employees work from home, or have that as a constant option. HQ is in Islandia, NY, but many current executives use the NYC office as "HQ."

Cons

Sudden Resource actions -- there have been WAY too many cuts of job roles. The perception is that these people had tenure and were paid too well. When CA lays you off, they take away your PC immediately - so no hope of accessing your email or systems to find another role. No one knows WHO does WHAT anymore. Job roles are like amoebas now ; everyone is doing 3 jobs becuase of the cuts.
    Too Many New People - CA has hired many executives who want to "CHANGE" the company. While Change is good, the company is impatient. Everyone new comes in like a cowboy to 'save CA' but they don't breed loyalty and are a culture mismatch.
    Self Sufficient Culture - CA expects employees to know everything. The training is minimal and if it exists on the intranet, you should know it.
    Too many ex IBMers with inflated egos and everyone hates them
    Processes- process slows down success, but CA has poor tools and processes for a $4B company

Tell us the strategy - you think we know this, but we don't. You say we need to CHANGE, but tell us where you want us to grow.
    Fix the systems and processes that are broken - invest here. How many tools does it take?
    Take a good look at the new hire executives for CULTURAL FIT
    Great ideas but no poeple left to execute on these (marketing)
    The emperor has no clothes - - no one is willing to tell the truth to Executive Management about issues.

Very Positive

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Changing culture, top executives, potential growth company

Cons

High Turnover on executives needs to stop

Compensation is very competitive with almost unlimited computer-based training opportunities.

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Self-training materials are quite impressive in its breadth of technology topics and the company has improved in building a better company culture through intentional, imaginative programs that bring the local staffs together.

Cons

Re-organization processes negatively affect productivity in the IT industry and this company is often challenged with on-the-job training that requires significant mentor assistance for legacy product teams.

There is a need for new employee training content based on technical role. This would mean that your skilled employees need to do better at building business continuance documents to cover their out-of-office time. This could easily be incorporated into start-up training for new personnel.

Worked for CA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!