CA Technologies

3.4
1,014 Reviews

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but even better is the challanges - you wont be bored here (in 133 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay Okay. Not so good, neither horrible.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shuttle Service
    Free Food
    Onsite Gym

Cons

No Career Groth.
    Dumb middle management.
    CA is changing senior management every now and then, and reorgs are almost monthly. Everyone works to make their boss happy nor to build amaizing products.

Get real. Chaning top layer wont chnage culture in a year. Make sure everyone is accountable and remove too much processes. Hire and retain top talents in engineering.

A company that has lost its place on the planet.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mainframe business had a great run for a number of years, but has since lost its spark.

Cons

This is a company that has become a trough for executives and board members to feed.

Name one business that has thrived within CA over the last 10 years?

ok ok

I worked at CA Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

experienced mentor. free coffee. flexible timing

Cons

management is horrible and the project is sort of pointless.

Great people, terrible management.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Herndon, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Herndon, PA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are very good.

Cons

While most companies have their bureaucratic issues, CA excels at fluff and red tape. It is not uncommon for a 4 month project to spend 1-2 months in meetings before any code is written. While CA has implemented Agile, 'CA-Agile' has made things worst.

CA also has the 'anyone is expendable' mentality. Nobodiy's job is 'safe'. People get nervous around April as this the traditional month layoffs are announced.

Good company, but not much opportunity for professional growth, and a culture that seems to be hard to change

Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

compensation, flexibility of work structure, a desire to be the best (although being it is harder than wanting it)

Cons

lack of growth, old-world culture (> 30 year old company), strong "that's the way we do it here" mentality. So matrixed that its difficult to hold people accountable, and there's lots of old wood that is never cleared out.

There needs to be some self-improvement mechanisms in place, such as cross-function surveys with special attention to people that have been there less than 5 years: pay attention to them! Make changes based on the survey results. Benchmark against the market, and try to become more like those you aspire to emulate. All of the current surveys are far too structured to provide much insight. The questions that are asked are not going to provide the kinds of insights needed to do what needs to be done.

Principal Software Engineer

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CA Technologies specializes in software that it sells to enterprise clients. They therefore treat their developers very well as they are a business producer rather than a cost center.

Cons

CA Technologies is generally short-sighted in the realm of their existing portfolio. They tend to push out money making products for newer technology projects even when the product is making money for them.

Newer is not always better. A lot of the technology trends turn out to be fads that are not long-lasting. While not sticking to older technologies, you need to recognize the technologies that are still viable and not push them out for newer eye candy technologies.

Sixteen years and I never felt valued

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Lisle, IL

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to work hard while maintaining decent work-life balance with above average Job Security, good pay & benefits.

Cons

Highly politicized culture has failed (so far) to create an environment of trust and to foster innovation. The work of creating customer satisfaction in a maturing industry segment is challenging enough already without that goal being coerced into a facade by the REAL challenge of keeping your matrix of bosses happy.

To middle management I recommend getting out of the way and learning how to encourage your people to fail more often. To executive management, I recommend cleaning house under you - flatten the organization and stop believing the smoke that middle management is blowing up your way. All of your otherwise valiant attempts to improve the organization and foster innovation will continue to be just lip service until you remove the non-professional, self-serving, ego-driven so-called "directors" and managers that are in the way of progress.

Not flexible, too many managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Great Employees, Good Products. The strategy of the company seems to be headed in the right direction. The CEO seems to have a strong drive to bring about the needed change to grow the company.

Cons

This is an ever changing environment. Too many managers in the way. The company preaches about accountability and now trust but to many micro managers who want to control everything instead of giving you the room to do your job. If I get it right, great, if I get it wrong then hold me accountable but give me the opportunity to give something a shot. If I say I can deliver something hold me to it but let me try.

It should not matter where or when I do my job but if I deliver or not. Stop worrying so much about whether or not someone is in the office or not and whether or not we deliver on our goals and promises. We are a technology company with the ability to do the job from anywhere at anytime. Stop being so narrow minded that a job must be done from 9-5 everyday in the office. Allow us some freedom and flexibility and practice what you preach about Trust!

Product Management

Current Employee - Product Management
    Current Employee - Product Management

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Life balance. Ability to work from home and have flexible work schedule. Reasonability not too demanding.
    Also, ability to work with very large customers on complex IT projects.

Cons

Company that is still searching for its direction. Legacy products that have quality issues. A lot of customer escalations. Not a lot of room for personal growth.

Very Positive

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Changing culture, top executives, potential growth company

Cons

High Turnover on executives needs to stop