CA Technologies Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.4

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • I thought the work-life balance was great for where I was in my life (in 114 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

No Growth=Constant Layoffs

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Islandia, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Islandia, NY

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful campus, nice laid back work environment, decent benefits, summer Friday's. Nice place to start a career and gain basic knowledge, but not a place to grow your career.

Cons

Constant layoffs made for low morale. Prospects of future revenue growth are not great. Constantly changing executive management team. Current CEO can talk the talk, but hasn't walked the walk.

Stop the massive layoffs and grow the company's revenue.....talk doesn't provide results, execution does.

They made a run at reinventing themselves, but failed

I worked at CA Technologies

Pros

Good pay, work at home opportunities. Excellent benefits, and traing programs.

Cons

To many levels of management. They spend time thinking about new ways to do things instead of improving the actual quality of what is done.

Give your workers a chance to succeed on one initiative before introducing another.

CA is a great company, going through transition

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time

Pros

Cash positive, long track record of surviving as a company through different IT trends and economic settings. New CEO with positive approach focused on technology. Great sales package, Compass Club, etc

Cons

Still a lot of old school sales mentality, but some change, slow to move, a lot of legacy commodity products

CA's recent pivot towards applications and dev/ops is spot on, but we need to expand outside of IT solutions for the CIO organization. This is far outside of CA's heritage as an Enterprise IT Management company, but we are missing great opportunitiesto expand our market and catch the wave of innovation. Maybe a Big Data company?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great political experience.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Herndon, VA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Constant change qualifies and creates constant movement... which makes for a very good opportunity to make a difference if positioned within new management stream view.

Cons

Constant movement means potentially being restructured more than one time a year. Constant change does not yield success it yields uncertainty.

You have to allow a reorganization to solidify before restructuring... nothing can optimize with constant movement.

Can't believe they got away with it.....

Former Employee - Workerbee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Workerbee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k is pretty good and nice options

Cons

the rest I could take or leave....

don't expect too much for too little

Not worth it if you are US based

I worked at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They do have liberal work policies. I was able to work from home and the schedule was flexible. The vacation time is good and the benefits are reasonable. Some good people have survived.

If you are looking at this from a offshore site like Hyderabad India then it's probably a fairly good place to work. I know they have tried for that anyway.

Cons

If you are not based in a place like India where the labor is much cheaper then you need to worry about layoffs constantly. Well it normally (not always) happens around the year end their fiscal year in the March/April time. So every year after I lived through April I would feel fairly safe until the following year. They busted up great teams just to save labor costs and they really don't care at all. If managers resist they were eventually removed and the layoffs continued. The replacements for these people from places like India often got jobs by exaggerating their skills and it put pressure on the few remaining people to cover for them. The management encourages this cover up to save their own jobs.

Front line managers care but the upper management team has their own opinions and are not interested in hearing anything that dissents from that opinion. To be fair it's been like that for a long time there. It's just not a very enlightened company.

The newer CEO they got at first seemed to have some vision and he might for some product lines. He certainly has some success in his past to draw on but he isn't changing anything really in the playbook as far as personal goes. It's still dump jobs in the US and replace with cheaper alternatives regardless of their skill levels. He said when he started that the only thing CA Technologies was doing well when he came in was cutting costs and I agreed with him. Is that still true? I am not sure but people I talk to don't seem to be noticing any improvement. The yearly layoff death march is engrained in the culture of the company now and I think the upper management has convinced themselves that they need to continue to show a profit increase even if that increase is from cost cutting and not from selling more products. Their projects are for the most part nothing special so I fully expect the layoff's to continue.

If I thought management listed at all I would still be working there.

Account Manager

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, Good product, great pay

Cons

Product issues, product direction, ability to execute once sold

Make your product do what we say they are going to do

No loyalty and no vision but a good place to start your career

Current Employee - Marketing  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time

Pros

Good opportunity to learn the software business. Great financial compensation

Cons

No loyalty and rotating executive management means line staff never get clear direction. Lost best sales leader they ever could have had and have failed to execute since.

sell the company's poor performing assets, be honest with employees

average company

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

above average salary in the market

Cons

constant change and layoff, growing pace is too slow

respect existing people

This ship moves steadily...

Current Employee - Sales Finance  in  Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Finance in Islandia, NY

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company benefits are generous overall. Certain offices (almost like campuses) are much better than satellite offices. The main offices have many perks and amenities. Fairly stable company to work for. Employees are generally hard working and passionate about their jobs.

Cons

Salary increases (i.e. Merit Increases) are laughable. Promotion depends heavily upon working for the right manager who will fight for you rather than being a reliable, good, hard worker. Certain functions and groups have limited or no room for personal advancement / growth. Company tries to grow organically, but just never seems to gain traction.

Current executive management has been driving substantial change wherever possible in an attempt to grow revenue. Hopefully the company will get on that path very soon instead of just maintaining at the level it has been the past several years.

Worked for CA Technologies? Contribute to the Community!