CA Technologies

3.3
1,064 Reviews

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but even better is the challanges - you wont be bored here (in 135 reviews)

• most people can work from home because the employees are already living all over place (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • This puts a huge strain on your work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• I do not feel that my team was always adequately supported by senior management (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

On the Up and Up

Current Employee - Program Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and with recent new CEO, the executive team is making good decisions to focus on delivering great products and improve customer value.

Cons

CA is a big beast with legacy culture that gets in its own way. But this is changing from the top down.

Remove the command and control structures that get in the way of individuals and teams truly innovating.

New CEO Making Changes

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bring in some great new products helping companies develop and deploy applications faster at higher quality. Also focusing on managing and securing APIs.

Cons

Constant change and a lot of turnover, many people have left in the near future. Some of this is good but some really good people have left.

Create a way to identify and retain top talent.

Good company, but not much opportunity for professional growth, and a culture that seems to be hard to change

Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

compensation, flexibility of work structure, a desire to be the best (although being it is harder than wanting it)

Cons

lack of growth, old-world culture (> 30 year old company), strong "that's the way we do it here" mentality. So matrixed that its difficult to hold people accountable, and there's lots of old wood that is never cleared out.

There needs to be some self-improvement mechanisms in place, such as cross-function surveys with special attention to people that have been there less than 5 years: pay attention to them! Make changes based on the survey results. Benchmark against the market, and try to become more like those you aspire to emulate. All of the current surveys are far too structured to provide much insight. The questions that are asked are not going to provide the kinds of insights needed to do what needs to be done.

Restructuring, Layoffs, and Outsourcing was the modus operandi

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit package with a good salary. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Opportunities to advance and entirely change career path.

Cons

Every year, everyone was susceptible to a layoff. And, almost every year, upper management was constantly changing so the direction and "environment" changed for all departments underneath. I came onboard as part of a merger but actually had to interview for the position before being "hired". I survived 12 years of layoffs and one outsourcing of our jobs for the entire organization I worked in by finding another position within another organization in the company. I didn't survive a second major upper management "takeover" & culling. Many years of excellent performance ratings and, all of a sudden, I'm "underperforming" and no longer needed.

Stop outsourcing US jobs to foreign countries on a consistent basis; Stop restructuring the upper management of the organizations / departments on a yearly/bi-yearly basis; The annual layoffs in May were always very stressful for everyone - too much time, energy, and effort is wasted by the employees and their families wondering if this is the year it is all over. And, last but not least, relevant job training opportunities was abysmal when I was in a "cost center" organization and not much better when I worked in a "profit center" organization. The mandated general courses for all employees ate up much of the supposed training each of us were "allotted" each year such as "SOX Compliance training", etc... but if we were, for example a system administrator, we were never allowed to take an external Linux Administration class - had to learn all of that on our own or through reading books and taking whatever CBTs we could find.

last major layoff is such a short sighted decision

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- interesting project
    - great people to work with
    - ability to work from home

Cons

- no bonuses , poor work motivation
    - periodic layoffs, most recent in May affected ~ tenth of work force was let go in one day, no performance reviews, no other consideration except geographic location

If you need to cut down on expenses spend more time carefully choosing who you let go. Hold on to key people, your products will quickly deteriorate without them.

Evolving...

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, benefits, and portfolio of products.

Cons

Constant flux, lack of innovation

Need to hire better engineers.

Worst Ever Company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home oppurtunities if your manager is flexible

Cons

Higher level management doesnt have a plan of what they are doing.

Takes NASTY Decisions.

Think when you are doing a reorg or expanding a business or putting in somewrk force in some location. When you are not interested in some location dont ever employ and shutdown all of a sudden.

CA Technology Rating

Current Employee - Program Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. One of the largest IT Global firms and growing.
    2. Swiftly response to changes in the IT market.
    3. SaaS is one of their leading corporate focal points.
    4. List in several top Gartner quadrants.

Cons

1. CA is a very political environment to work within.
    2. CA could work harder at being more transparent to its employees.
    3. Internal re-organization is currently going on, but once this settles those that remain could have long careers.

1. Work harder at transparency within the ranks, management should be held accountable for their departments success or failure.
    2. Work to flatten the management structure, which is currently to hierarchical.

CA: People friendly culture. Classic big company bureaucracy

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ethical focus, good people who attempt to make a healthy work environment. Reasonable compensation programs. Very flexible work environment. The most virtual workplace I've dealt with and it works

Cons

Bureaucracy hinders the success of the company. Too many cycles spent on reorganizing and matrix coordination. Not enough time spent on workable business strategy and marketing budget keeps getting cut

Be careful before you sign the offer letter.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Poor management and merging with acquired companies. Company is not well organized and upper managements are out of touch what's going on each business unit. I have worked for past three years and I have received one small raise even though I received top evaluation from my manager every year.

Focus and set a common goal with all manager level. Also reward your employees.