CACI International

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

Kenneth Asbury

Pros
  • Good work/life balance: I've worked over 40 hours a week maybe 10 times in the last 6 years (in 13 reviews)

• Livable work and life balance, good benefits, mostly decent people (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Working on the client site, you get very limited vacation time (in 9 reviews)

• It feels like the senior management is flying blind and only looking out for themselves (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

I worked at CACI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

By in large, I worked with a lot of capable individuals. The benefits are outstanding and the pay is fair. Will try to retain your services by moving you laterally to another position.

Cons

Just like any other contractor, you never know when your contract might end. If they are in a subcontractor status, sometimes the pay commensurate to your skills won't be available to you.

Be honest with your top performers. Do not assume that just because a contracts stability is tenuous, that the employees will not bring their best effort. Doing this leaves a very bad taste in their mouths and breeds mistrust and discord. This is a good way to lose quality employees.

Good company.

Former Employee - Counterintelligence Planner, Lead
    Former Employee - Counterintelligence Planner, Lead

I worked at CACI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in job location and job type; CACI seemed to have a positive reputation among the multiple government/military work-sites I supported; good pay and adequate benefits. Room for advancement. Management was generally open about changes the company planned to implement.

Cons

Inadequate HR/Management response to retain qualified individuals when a contract is lost. Organization communication plan was, at times, slow to reach employees working in overseas locations. A greater emphasis on timely communication of organizational changes would have been beneficial.

Work harder to keep long tem employees.

Great place to work, management actually stopped by regularly

Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at CACI International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training, salary, work load, people

Cons

hard to get promoted at current location

Defense contractor in Arlington Va

I have been working at CACI International

Pros

Salary is competitive, good people
    to work with, great location (near the metro), challenging environment, great opportunities, good leadership

Cons

The pace is quite slow at time, expectations are not clearly set , processes not in place, turnover creates confusion

Company with integrity losing integrity fast

Current Employee - Background Investigator in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Background Investigator in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at CACI International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The first line supervisors can be very easy to work with.

Cons

With the loss of work for USIS, CACI has become money hungry. Most of the new employees make more money than the legacy staff. Management and HR are not interested in providing rectification. Opportunities for growth were promised for legacy staff, but this is only if you know someone or if you are willing to take a pay cut.

Stop bad business practices and treat legacy staff properly by ensuring equal pay and benefits. Promote investigators with pay raises in new jobs, not cuts.

Management was deceitful when we acquired former USIS employees

Current Employee - Background Investigator/Mentor
    Current Employee - Background Investigator/Mentor

I have been working at CACI International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Before the huge influx of employees from USIS CACI was a very good company

Cons

Many legacy employees were encouraged to apply for positions due to the expansion of the contract. Many qualified employees were not even interviewed but instead CACI picked up former USIS management. It's a shame that CACI did not promote within first but they looked outside the organization. There are problems already starting with these former USIS managers.

With the influx of investigators CACI has not increased the salaries of their legacy employees. To me this is a slap in the face and will be seeking employment else where. CACI will be losing many qualified and loyal employees if something is not done. You bring your concerns to management and nothing is done. The excuses you keep getting is that they have a great wealth of knowledge...but my response is if they are so good why did they lose the contract.

Mixed Reaction to an Average Company

Current Employee - Background Investigator I in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Background Investigator I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at CACI International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a Background Investigator who came over to CACI after the implosion of USIS. The management style is def better than the previous employer, but CACI comes with its own string of problems. The benefits package for medical and dental are good and reasonable. Pay is higher.

Cons

Technology tools are way behind. For example I work from home office and my CACI supplied laptop does not even have MS Office loaded on it. CACI's advice is to use either your personal PC or the CACI supplied iPhone. OK. . . here is a question for all the CACI MBAs. . . how can we update Excel spreadsheets containing 100 lines of data on my iPhone? Many off their processes are tedious compared to the competitors. For a company that provides IT professionals in so many government contracts, their in house IT is surprisingly archaic.

Vesting for the 401K is 3 years. I am not planning on staying 3 years so I am not participating.

HR here is incompetent. For example, I have seen them double withhold state income tax from multiple states where the employee did not live or work. They input women as men, and men as women for benefits. They input your address for benefits in a state you have never lived in and it takes 5 weeks to sort out such a minor detail, but it prevents you from using your medical and dental coverage. Also job offers for certain hourly rate went out that include and health and welfare benefit of $4.00, not as the customary practice to have the hourly rate plus H&W listed. So many were surprised to see their first paycheck short. Classic used car saleman trick! But they signed it!

Management obsesses about timecards which have more data fields than any other company I have ever seen. No surprise when folks fat finger the input, or when HR does not have the proper codes authorized for you to use and you can't save the timecard. Result is everyone on your team has the same timecard problem, leading to . . .

Management is totally reactive to issues. Only when every single member of the team has a question or problem will they finally communicate to all what to do. This plays out almost every single day and you can predict how they will handle it, which does nothing but frustrate the employees and wastes the junior managements time. The response is almost always a total surprise that this problem has occurred followed by scrambling and drop everything to correct it.

Straighten out your systems that are outdated and tedious or you will find many of the employees you worked hard to recruit and train are going to go elsewhere. Many of my colleagues predict that CACI Investigative Services will be like USIS in two years.

OK place to work

I have been working at CACI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a solid company. The office culture depends on whether you were acquired by CACI. Depending on your manager you can have some flexibility with working from home. When it's crunch time hours can be long. You are expected to do what it takes in terms of hours to get it done right.

Cons

The morale is not as high as before. There have been a lot of lay-offs. Since the government contracts are really focusing the bottom-line the company has made significant efforts to do more with less employees.

Great Job!!

Current Employee - LAN/WAN Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - LAN/WAN Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CACI International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CACI was a great company to work for. I started out in the Middle East (Bahrain) and was transferred to Tampa. In both locations I worked in Network Admin type role for a system called Promina.

Cons

There were very few challenges with this job. My only issue was prior to getting hired I almost lost out to someone less qualified due to someone's personal pick for the position. I ended up interviewing again while waiting on an offer letter.

CACI

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at CACI International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

CACI employs talented people. Their recruiters work with you in a professional manner and are timely in coordinating interviews and providing timely feedback. The benefits are also fairly competitive with other Defense Contractors.

Cons

Like most Defense Contractor employment, you will be assigned to a client site and never see a CACI office again. However, that is part of the bargain when you sign up to be a contractor. Also, goals and objectives for career growth are really never discussed with you during your tenure. It's all about pleasing the client which might not be a bad thing.

My advice is to get out and meet your people.

CACI International Photos