CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading)
www.caeonline.com Redwood City, CA 16 to 50 Employees

CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2014

Ryan Jacob

Pros:
  • "Gym on site is nice if you like to stay active"
    in 6 reviews
  • "You have the potential to make a lot of money within 6months"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "High stress environment, very long hours, 'always want more' attitude from management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Less than ideal work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Graduate Education

Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking in Silicon Valley in sales and service, I always wanted to get closer to the semiconductor business since that’s where it all begins. After interviewing at CAE, I decided it would be a good opportunity to learn more about manufacturing and make some decent money as well. After a round of interviews, I felt the team at CAE was highly informed and ambitious about being a major player in the equipment market. It’s been a good experience so far. I’m getting a graduate level education in semiconductor manufacturing and the compensation is meeting my goals.

ConsCAE can be a pretty intense environment but sales is always intense. You’re only as good as the last, and next, deal you close. If you’re looking for a low pressure environment, CAE isn’t for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen possible, work more closely with those team members who may not be performing up to speed. It will help create more of a team environment and can save some people who just need an extra boost.

Good Opportunity for Sales Self Starters

Capital Asset Trader (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) full-time for less than a year

ProsI was downsized out of a marketing position in high tech and being about mid-point in my career, thought it might be worthwhile to expand my search to include sales. Since marketing and sales tend to work closely together, I thought it might be doable to migrate over to a full time sales position. The guys at CAE gave me every opportunity to succeed, with training and clear objectives. But it was pretty clear I’m just not cut out for sales and I wasn’t meeting their sales numbers. We left on good terms. No harm. No foul. The short stint at CAE convinced me to stay focused on a marketing career. However, I did learn some valuable information about how sales really works and that is an added benefit as I move forward in marketing.

ConsCAE is a one man for himself kind of place. If you are thinking of a retraining type move, this is not the place for you since there is really no ramp up time. They expect results from you asap.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management has great drive and imparting this ‘can-do’ attitude to new employees is a must. Since they expect you to be a self-starter, providing as much education and information as possible will further ensure newbies will succeed.

Awesome Place to Work!

I have been working at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat group of people who have a deep sense of purpose and work hard to make the business successful.

The Mentor Program implemented over the past year is working and has helped to obtain and retain talented and dedicated employees.

Office shuts down for lunch and most head to the on-site gym for a workout or a game of basketball.

Office closes at 1:00 PM of Fridays and if we are successful at obtaining our goals, a 3 day Holiday weekend can turn into a 4 day Holiday weekend.

On-site state of the art workout facility with Rock Wall, Pool, Free Weights and Cardio Equipment, Personal Trainers, Cross Fit, and every class imaginable.

On-site Cafe that serves organic, freshly prepared food with a menu that changes daily.

My work/life balance is better than any other company that I have worked for.

ConsRequires hard work, determination and integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe environment is very different from when I started 15 months ago. You've made great strides to improve the culture and work/life balance. I believe that those who currently work at CAE do so because they really like what they can bring to the company. Continue to reward success.

Bonus program for non-traders needs to be implemented, so that we can all be recognized for our contributions to the company.

Fast Moving Company and Very Performance Driven. Not for Weaklings!

Trader (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

ProsNo one would argue capital equipment sales has been a male dominated environment. So I was a little hesitant about taking a job with a company specializing in trading this type of equipment. Granted, my confidence level is always high but I was skeptical. Would I be dealing with a lot of annoying macho stuff? After working at CAE for a while I can say, yes, there is definitely some of that, but it is very much an equal opportunity environment. If you’re a confident, driven to succeed type, which I am, you can get rewards in terms of compensation and advancement.

I really like the gym which has absolutely everything you’d want to exercise. Hey, I might not be able to bench press as much weight as the guys but I can hold my own with those sales numbers!!!!

ConsYes, it is a high pressure environment, but seriously, what would you expect when you’re dealing with multi-million dollar deals? It’s not necessarily a warm fuzzy environment but I’ve found it works if you meet your goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide some perks like the gym since it helps provide balance and prevent burnout. Foster promotion for those who demonstrate steady performance at a high level.

Extreme Boot Camp But You Learn a Lot and the Compensation is Great

Redwood City, CA

ProsBeing a top tier sales professional is my career objective. I joined CAE because I knew, that while it can be a pressure cooker environment, they are more than fair in compensating those who perform. Since I’m setting the bar high for my own objectives, CAE seemed like a good fit. It’s worked out for me. CAE does promote from within so it is a good place for people like me who are focused on getting ahead and always looking for the next level of compensation. Plus, at some point, if I decide to move to another sales organization, the experience will be very valuable in meeting my new objectives. The managers at CAE are tough but bright and if you work hard and pay attention, you’ll learn what it takes to be an A level salesperson, and also have a very rewarding experience.

ConsCAE can kind of feel like boot camp at first but it’s tied to performance and if you can handle the pressure, you’ll do fine and be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train salespeople so no one gets stale. Grow the organization by helping star performers to move upward in compensation and responsibility.

Great Company for those who like to work hard and get rewarded for their success!

Redwood City, CA

ProsI've been with CAE for almost a year and I love it! Great group of people who have a deep sense of purpose and work hard to make the business successful.

Fast moving, high energy company.

Office closes at 3:00 PM of Fridays and if we are successful at obtaining our goals a 3 day Holiday weekend and turn into a 4 day Holiday weekend.

Solid foundation with an excellent track record for success. Management has the ability to successfully adapt to the constantly changing market.

ConsRequires the ability think fast, work hard and successfully adjust to continually changing environment.

CAE deals in Worldwide markets, which means the business can required that you deal with International situations during your down time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the dedication to continual improvements to training, technology and mentorship. Continue with hiring dedicated, qualified people who have the ability to make it happen and adjust to continually change markets and environment.

How CAE changed my life

Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are looking for a unique and different career path CAE is the place for you. I started here several years ago not knowing anything about Semiconductor Equipment markets. I came from another sales job where my income was capped, and potential to move up was low. CAE changed my life by not setting limits on my sales potential and providing me with the tools I need to be successful. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that CAE has provided.

Extreme financial reward
Opportunity to move up to senior trader quickly
Solid foundation with an excellent track record for success
Health benefits have been excellent
Worlds leading semiconductor equipment marketplace
Gym membership to state of the art facility
Great location
Trips & prize competitions

ConsIf you are not prepared for long work days, CAE is not a good fit.

Management at CAE strives for success. They will guide you to achieve very high performance but it does not come without pressure and hard work. This means some late nights working on deals, or answering emails during the evening hours.

CAE is a sales environment that does not stop. Downtime is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementResults are what keep employees happy and the employees who have not cut it were not meant to be. I have learned a lot from the CAE management team, and I am always learning more as the months go by. My advice is to continue to coach new traders that come in the same way each and every time. The work ethic, attention to detail, and drive I have obtained at CAE are valuable traits I will always carry now. Thank you.

Nowhere like CAE

Redwood City, CA

ProsYou won't find another company or career opportunity like CAE. I relocated to the bay area for this job, and i don't regret it at all. This is trading, pure and simple. It doesn't have the glamor of wall street, but it definitely has the thrill and reward of making deal after deal happen.

They will let you run independently here. You'll surely get an earful when you don't do your job right, but the amount of responsibility afforded is unbelievable.

ConsThe company finally shut down the LMG team, which was long overdue.
Industry counterparties can be cutthroat negotiators.
High intensity.
Short leash for under performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your current team. Sharpen their skills with constant training and feedback loops.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fit, you're a fit

Redwood City, CA

Pros-Being part of a team that is reshaping an industry
-Ridiculously fast-paced, winning mentality
-Extremely motivated colleagues
-History of promoting from within
-Nice facilities, gym, etc.

Cons-Company culture is not for everyone
-Company never takes its foot off the pedal
-Less than ideal work/life balance
-Incumbent players in the market are often shady characters

Advice to Senior Management-Clearly define the company's next steps
-Don't bring hires on board who aren't in it for the long haul

High stress, lot of work but big payoffs.

Asset Trader (Current Employee)

I have been working at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading)

ProsIt is full of highly intelligent and competitive people. Not a typical sales environment full of jocks from state schools. These are ex Olympians from Stanford and Cal along with people who finished top of their class, who speak multiple languages. Yes, you will work very had, much harder than any of your friends. But, the ones who succeed at CAE will be generously rewarded. Simply put, for a room full of people fresh out of school, a lot of them make more money then their parents ever did.

ConsYou are going to work very hard. If you do poorly, then it is the worst place to be in the world. The stress is high, and it is far more challenging than even the most prestigious jobs coming out of school. The only thing that would be harder than this would be running your own company,

Worked for CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading)? Contribute to the Community!

CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) – Why Work for Us?

CAE Online was founded in 1982, focusing initially on building the highest quality catalogue of secondary semiconductor equipment. In 2008, CAE Online became Capital Asset Exchange and Trading, LLC (CAE). In six short… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) CEO Ryan Jacob. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) employees.