CAE Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
2.7

CAE President, CEO, and Director Marc Parent
Marc Parent

Pros
  • The working conditions are fairly good and overtime is paid at time and a half (in 12 reviews)

• It's a great place to find another flying job or to work if you are retired and love to stay in aviation (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is more focused on product than on employees (in 9 reviews)

• gt; Limited growth opportunities as people don't quit and large layers of management of long timers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Bad, but not Great

Current Employee - Co-Op
    Current Employee - Co-Op

I have been working at CAE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay, variety of assignments

Cons

A lot of assignments are mediocre, sometimes there's nothing to do

Simulation Technician II

I have been working at CAE

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

Terrible company all the way up the management chain

Clean the slate start over

Good place to find another job.... a transitional place to work.

Current Employee - Flight Instructor
    Current Employee - Flight Instructor

I have been working at CAE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a great place to find another flying job or to work if you are retired and love to stay in aviation.

Pilots come from all over the world and many companies like to hire CAE instructor pilots and check airman. Management knows that people come and go, so not much room for advancement or promotion. Management is indifferent to turnover;however, and the company not set up to keep employees long term.

That said there are many who for for medical reasons or family reasons stick it out year after year, owner after owner. Some employees have out lasted bankruptcy and five or so owners of the company over twenty or so years.. So it's not all bad. There are some old but good employees who have been here forever.

Policy changes day to day, and management arbitrarily enforces policy and work rules. The schedules are run by profits and the customer. If you are adaptable you will get by.

Jobs are threatened for not complying with systems and procedures for which there is no training and no written guidance but this is the CAE motivational style... truth is, management doesn't understand their own policies and procedures, or the ever changing world wide regulatory environment themselves. They just like to scare you into figuring it out for your self or set you up for the blame. Just the way it is.

Cons

If you don't expect much, and understand there is not much room to grow, CAE has really really no cons. They deliver an OK product to the customers, and it is a clean safe place to work.

Benefits are OK. Salaries are about 70-90% of what a flying job pays

No retirement just a 401k

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Healthcare- Great product, Horrible management

Former Employee - Management  in  Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic healthcare simulation product! Potential to save lives, and educate others to do the same.

Cons

Guaranteed 80-100 work weeks, consistently berated by management, miserable outlook for future, no longevity, multiple layoffs, wrongful termination. All the best employees are quitting due to upper management.

If your plan is to shut down SRQ production and move to Montreal- tell the people. Don't fire strongest people, or force them to quit because you can't be honest. Upper management sets a poor precedence for leadership, and HR rules the company. No employee can trust anything but another employee. Look what you are doing to Healthcare!

Fear for your job everyday

I worked at CAE full-time

Pros

Before, when it was METI it was a great place to work. Management was great too. Then...CAE acquired METI in 2011.

Cons

Want to get laid off or fired? Then work here at CAE. No stability. CAE management pushes you around like a bull mowing over you. One minute you are busy working and without a clue they lay you off. Would never want to go back there again.

Stop using the employees as fools. Telling them all is ok ..then the next minute , another round of layoffs.

Sad at the direction of this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with across the country and world are still some of my closest friends. Working with healthcare providers to impact patient safety was such a worthwhile occupation.

Cons

Once METI was purchased by CAE, the company went from a learning company to a simulator company. The management has no clue that the education part of the company impacted the sales at a very high level. In addition, the sales force was extremely low in numbers compared to its rival companies all along. Now, with eliminating sales and education employees at regular intervals it certainly will get worse. HR did not maintain my confidentiality while an employee which led to some difficulties in my last days. I'm glad I am gone; I'm sad for my friends who won't find another job before they get laid off in the next round.

You need to wake up and figure out what you are doing. What is your mission? What is your vision for the healthcare arm of your company? Be open and honest with your employees instead of treating them so poorly. The last memo I got (through a very active grapevine) extended two whole sentences to someone who had given their all to make your company successful. Even if you eliminate their position, they deserve more from you than that.

Very disappointing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Generally, great people. I was part, for many years, of the original company, great leadership, great technology, great market, a tremendous potential.
    CAE acquired the company in 2011 and since then, everything has gone downhill.

Cons

Upper Management has no clue, no direction, treat all employees without respect. Layoff are very common and always as a result of bad management - the interesting fact; management stays and employees are layoff. In summary, Management doesn't care.
    CAE stock performance is an embarrassment and a direct reflection of CAE leadership.
    HR runs the whole company - HR is the most powerful organization inside CAE. Employees cannot trust HR - it is like Initech (Office Space)

Advice: Upper Management needs replacing.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising. - Mark Twain

I worked at CAE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for building long term personal and professional relationships.

Cons

Poor management. Too many layoffs. No market strategy. Lack of new product development. Forecast unrealistic likely due to no market research/analysis. There are always career opportunities available because there are always layoffs.

Competitive and market research. New product development with fresh ideas and Future (not past) technology. Replace management in several departments. Give employees a feeling of security by keeping some around for more than a year or two. Better compensation.

Not focused on the employees only on the bottom dollar

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting industry and great employees

Cons

Senior Management from Global Operations and HR leaders are very out of touch with the team.

Pay attention to what your employees are telling you.

Management is terrible.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great industry. I work in the human patient simulation division, and the products we produce are great. Our company was bought by CAE two years ago and our focus has changed, which makes the mission a little less clear, but the company started with the idea of saving lives. How can you beat that?

Cons

Management is unreal. There are quarterly layoffs, and upper management always has a new plan. The President announced in January at a Sales meeting, "there will be no layoffs, but I may fire someone before the end of the week." This was his idea of humor. Vacation and expense policies have changed retroactively. Salaries are low, but hours are long.

Worked for CAE? Contribute to the Community!