CAE USA

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Raymond G. Duquette

Good, Comfortable Place to Work

I have been working at CAE USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment, great people, good benefits. Employees are treated well. It is a comfortable work environment without a lot of conflict. Company is focusing on employee satisfaction. Work-life balance is really good here. Company tries to be a good corporate citizen sponsoring employee's kids teams and local charities, etc.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for career growth in Tampa. Company sells training, but when budgets get tight it cuts training for its employees. Doesn't make sense. Lack of accountability leads to frustration and apathy. Those who do take responsibility end up with extra work while slackers are allowed to free ride for extended periods. Pay is low in comparison to market, but the great work/life balance make this worthwhile for many.

Work on leadership and motivation of employees. Hold slacker employees accountable and recognize those who go above and beyond.

A lot of changes over the years but still a great place to work.

I have been working at CAE USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, nice people, good pay, average benefits fair amount of time off but 25 years to get a 5th week of vacation; come on.

Cons

Hard to move up without a degree or just an AA. Need to invest more in training to keep good people. Tough time moving into management if your not in the "click"

Look at and reward your people who put in the time and know the product. Look at more then the degree or lack of.

Once upon a time this used to be a good company

Former Employee - Program Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at CAE USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are awesome
    The benefits are great

Cons

The pay is below industry standard for program management
    Management is horrible, secretive and non communicative
    Several people have been placed into management roles just because they have been in the building for over 10 years, Unfortunately this does not mean that they have the skills to manage their department.
    Not a good place for career advancement if you are nonmilitary or female

Listen to your people.
    Provide quality training opportunities, spend some time and find good training vendors.
    Pay your people and provide them autonomy. You would get so much further if you would just understand the basics of motivating a workforce.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Mid-management in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Mid-management in Tampa, FL

I worked at CAE USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very rigid process oriented company. Everything has defined the process and a lot of reviews and signatures required for a task. The good thing is the task is done right mostly with extra cost. Generous severance package.

Cons

Have a tough time to expend the business beyond the core business. It is hard to break-in to the culture circle if you are not in the original circle. poor communication throughout the organization.

Open minded and adapt the market changes quickly.

Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome. Great friendly atmosphere. Benefits are amazing.

Cons

Low raises. 1-4% bell curved based on your fellow coworkers.

Appreciate the work force a little more.

Company That Strives to Promote Underachievement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at CAE USA full-time

Pros

Benefits are decent, flex time is nice, low stress due to the lack of accountability and message that mediocrity and underachievement is more than acceptable.

Cons

Complete inability to create a coherent strategy at the top and flow it down. Company strategy seems to be to pursue everything without investing in anything, including its people. They do an excellent job keeping their turnover low by holding on to the mediocre performers and underachievers, while rewarding high achievers with nothing. No investment whatsoever in their people. Useless HR department. Many at the manager and director level seem to manipulate the numbers.

Don't tout things that in the end you don't believe in and don't support with your actions...at least be honest with the employees.

Was once a decent place to work

Former Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at CAE USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits decent, some nice people working there, Vacation time average but sick time allotted you are unable to take without getting written up. Why bother?

Cons

Micromanaged, Work to failure mentality, achievable bonus goals, HR department are useless. No work life balance at all. Annual increases are a joke 2% annually. COL is higher than that.

Hire people other than yes men to stabilize business unit and grow business again. CAE used to have a good reputation for producing great product.

Worst job I have ever held, and it is due to management.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Altus AFB, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Altus AFB, OK

I have been working at CAE USA full-time

Pros

Good wages, good benefits, and flexible time off.

Cons

Micromanagent, not product driven, most management does not hold degrees, some managers don't even have the required security clearance.

Respect your team, push them to grow and embrace their strengths. This is one of the easiest jobs I have ever held, there is no reason to make it this hard. It should be about the product. This is a huge deal, we are training people to protect this country.

Co-op positions are perfect for college students

Current Intern - Student Co-Op in Tampa, FL
    Current Intern - Student Co-Op in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE USA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

When big tests loom on the horizon I have never been denied time off to study or complete other school-centered tasks (on day one I was told that school always comes first). I am given enough hours to pay my bills, but my schedule is more than flexible enough to maintain full time student status.

I am treated like an asset on a daily basis, even when I make mistakes.

I am not in the Engineering department, but multiple software engineers have entertained my inquires concerning their day-to-day activities (software is a field I am interested in).

Cons

Just for the sake of listing a con, I was unclear concerning what my actual job responsibilities would be. On day one I had no idea what kind of work to expect (it wasn't difficult and I caught on quickly).

Keep providing these fantastic opportunities to college students who need to pay their bills with a schedule that changes semester to semester.

I wish everyone wouldn't be so phony!

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, People in general are great! Salary is good and training is available. Helps you grow in knowledge and experience.

Cons

Everyone needs to play nice in the sandbox. I feel like I am in elementary school all over again with some employees who want total control and will do anything to anyone to get it. Always focused on cost cutting so you never know when your time is up.

You need to figure out what you are doing. You state your mission but it seems everything is driven by bottom line.Pay attention to what your employees are telling you. Read between the lines. You have many long term employees with their own agendas rather than the company's best interests. Stop the we/them attitude with Canada. Get some fresh HR leaders with new and innovative ideas. Get rid of the good ole boy mentality. Show employees that they are valued. Stop overworking them only to show them the door. Hire people that are professional and show integrity. Train your management to work in today's society and not back 30 years. Be consistent. Apply the same rules to everyone but iimprove the work/life balance but explore ways to maximize your employee's productivity. Treat them like the professionals they are.