CAL POLY Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.8

CAL POLY President Jeffrey D. Armstrong
Jeffrey D. Armstrong

Pros
  • Extremely flexible hours/vacation time (in 4 reviews)

• Cal Poly is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is what you make of it (in 3 reviews)

• Minimum wage, raises start after 250 hours and are capped at (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job to have as a student

Current Employee - Office Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY part-time (more than an year)

Pros

--very flexible with student schedules
    --fun environment
    --nice to stay on campus

Cons

--logging hour process each month is annoying

Little Growth Opportunities

I have been working at CAL POLY

Pros

Beautiful Campus, great benefits, food on campus.

Cons

No annual pay raise
    No room to grow
    High pay for parking

Micro-managed Master

Current Employee - Coordinator in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to work with great students
    Always busy with new projects
    Beautiful area

Cons

CYA to the max. Everything is always a hastle. Was not allowed to talk with other campus officials without gaining approval. Even though I am a professional Staff member. Most Admin do not care about students. Rather see them as individuals who if a student/parent comes to them, we are to move heaven & earth for them and neglect everyone else. Micro managed to every detail. Office Hours started at 10 am, and would be getting calls at 10 am asking on updates on situations from the night before that you knew nothing about yet.

Trust your employees, they have masters degrees for a reason. Don't preach work life balance, and then state that we're expected to check email/have meetings every night.

Don't be scared of the sometimes harsh reality of critical feedback.

Secure

Former Employee - Staff in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is fine, the benefits are great, and the environment is generally friendly. A positive side effect of the dismal state budgets is that you usually work in small, tight-knit teams and feel like you're "making a difference."

Cons

Top-heavy management structure, limited room for growth. I acquired all of my departed supervisor's duties for five months and was never compensated accordingly. Helplessly self-aware of its own bureaucracy, nothing happens as smoothly as it could.

Place more interest in the potential growth of your employees and match increased responsibility with fair compensation.

Accommodating to part-time students!

Former Employee - Student IT Tech in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student IT Tech in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours as a student worker; classes come first, then work.

Awesome boss in the media distribution services department.

Cons

Couldn't work during class hours, so it was either pre-dawn or post-dusk hours. Flexible, but not ideal.

The MDS office is in a pretty old basement. It gets dusty down there.

Working as a student for Cal Poly's Information Technology Services

Current Employee - User Experience Research & Design (Student Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

ITS lets students set and manage their own schedules, as long as they're putting in enough time to get work done. Combined with working on campus this is invaluable for students to use by coming in to work during breaks between classes. Shift-based employers off campus often have 4 hour minimum shift lengths so many times smaller breaks between classes will be wasted time for a student. At ITS you can put that time to work.

It's also easy to take a little time off if you're headed home for the weekend or if you need a day off to study for that big midterm. As long as you're communicating with your superiors and getting your work done, ITS is very understanding of education being your priority and is willing to work around that with you.

Working for ITS also allowed me to graduate with 3 years of experience relevant to my field.

Cons

Pay per hour is lower than most off-campus companies in the same field. I think the extremely flexible schedule outweighs this con, but it's still worth noting.

Amazing boss and work environment for an assistant job, but the department heads had ulterior motives .

Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for an on campus position, a great boss, and reasonable hours for a college student.

Cons

No opportunities for promotions or pay raises. The department I was in had some demanding and rude staff. Wanted us to perform degrading jobs like clean up bathrooms or even dead rats. Luckily our boss stepped in, but the department workers do not know how to treat an employee.

Overall, very pleased

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cal Poly is a great place to work. Fantastic location, easy-going culture, and really up-and-coming in the academia world.

Cons

This is probably a criticism more of academia than Cal Poly specifically, but Cal Poly sometimes refused to adopt new technologies or ideologies. Sometimes you have to fire people who aren't assents or try something new and untested.

4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining

Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

Cons

One of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

To the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

Amazing

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and I got to work on a wide variety of projects. The area is beautiful and so are the people that inhabit this wonderful place.

Cons

Not many downsides, besides the lack of diversity. The area is generally white and lacks culture that can be found in places like Berkeley or San Francisco.