CAL POLY

Be The First To
Add Photos

CAL POLY President Jeffrey D. Armstrong

Jeffrey D. Armstrong

Pros
  • Easy job, laid back managers, decent pay(in 3 reviews)

• Extremely flexible hours/vacation time(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is what you make of it(in 3 reviews)

• Minimum wage, raises start after 250 hours and are capped at(in 3 reviews)

4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining

Employee (Former Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsFree meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

ConsOne of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

Amazing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone is extremely nice and I got to work on a wide variety of projects. The area is beautiful and so are the people that inhabit this wonderful place.

ConsNot many downsides, besides the lack of diversity. The area is generally white and lacks culture that can be found in places like Berkeley or San Francisco.

Cal Poly can be a good option for students looking for work experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy supervisors were kind, competent, and willing to share their knowledge. Flexible hours and relaxed atmosphere. Fair compensation. There are chances to gain new experience and grow, if you look in the right places.

ConsLarge organization that can feel slow-moving at times. Legacy systems with a lot of history where the purpose is sometimes unclear. Some departments seem disconnected or untrusting of each other. Be prepared to regulate your own performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to increase communication and trust between departments. Encourage individuals to express what would make their work more meaningful. Give them the chance to move towards this. Create processes to support change in ways that feel natural.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work

Tutor (Former Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsGreat weather, healthy youthful environment, and intellectually challenging.

ConsSmall regional economy. Bring your own job.

Great education, great campus. I work at Village Market in Poly Canyon Village

Crew Lead - Village Market (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros-Easygoing
    -Fun environment; most of my coworkers and I are pretty like-minded, so we gel really well
    -Great supervisor

Cons-Can get very slow at times

Top-down administration

Professor (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsSchedule flexibility, freedom to run classes the way I want

ConsWorkload continuously increasing, no raise in salary for ages

Demanding but very rewarding

Web Offset Production Manager (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsGet hands on experience with industry machines and leaders as professors. It's a great position to gain experience and feel satisfied about the work you do.

ConsDemanding and low compensation, not a lot of room to grow due to the nature of a college position.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees, encourage them to grow.

CAL POLY is a beautiful environment to work, and many of the people at the school are friendly and helpful.

ProsMost people are good at interacting with others. There is a great sense of community, and there is always a place you can ask for help. I feel that I work in a low stress environment. The people with Student Support Services are great!

ConsThere are many departments (in different buildings) that have to interact with each other. Sometimes working through the bureaucracy can feel unnecessarily time consuming.

Teaching Associate

Teaching Associate (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsSchedule convenience, impact on undergraduate students while in graduate school.

ConsThe department could be more involved in ensuring learning objectives are being achieved through the class activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCloser attention to students progress and feedback would help the learning experience.

Instructional Student Assistant Grading

Student Assistant (Current Employee) San Luis Obispo, CA

ProsIndependent hours so very flexible work environment. Additionally, work is typically easy for all majors since professors usually give guidelines in how to grade. Pay is reasonable and above minimum wage for what needs to be done.

ConsPay is inconsistent since you may have different grading loads every week.

Worked for CAL POLY? Contribute to the Community!