CAL POLY Reviews

Updated September 1, 2014
4.0

CAL POLY President Jeffrey D. Armstrong
Jeffrey D. Armstrong

Pros
  • Easy job, laid back managers, decent pay (in 3 reviews)

• Extremely flexible hours/vacation time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is what you make of it (in 3 reviews)

• Minimum wage, raises start after 250 hours and are capped at (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Accommodating to part-time students!

Former Employee - Student IT Tech  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student IT Tech in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours as a student worker; classes come first, then work.

Awesome boss in the media distribution services department.

Cons

Couldn't work during class hours, so it was either pre-dawn or post-dusk hours. Flexible, but not ideal.

The MDS office is in a pretty old basement. It gets dusty down there.

Working as a student for Cal Poly's Information Technology Services

Current Employee - User Experience Research & Design (Student Assistant)  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Research & Design (Student Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

ITS lets students set and manage their own schedules, as long as they're putting in enough time to get work done. Combined with working on campus this is invaluable for students to use by coming in to work during breaks between classes. Shift-based employers off campus often have 4 hour minimum shift lengths so many times smaller breaks between classes will be wasted time for a student. At ITS you can put that time to work.

It's also easy to take a little time off if you're headed home for the weekend or if you need a day off to study for that big midterm. As long as you're communicating with your superiors and getting your work done, ITS is very understanding of education being your priority and is willing to work around that with you.

Working for ITS also allowed me to graduate with 3 years of experience relevant to my field.

Cons

Pay per hour is lower than most off-campus companies in the same field. I think the extremely flexible schedule outweighs this con, but it's still worth noting.

Amazing boss and work environment for an assistant job, but the department heads had ulterior motives .

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for an on campus position, a great boss, and reasonable hours for a college student.

Cons

No opportunities for promotions or pay raises. The department I was in had some demanding and rude staff. Wanted us to perform degrading jobs like clean up bathrooms or even dead rats. Luckily our boss stepped in, but the department workers do not know how to treat an employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, very pleased

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cal Poly is a great place to work. Fantastic location, easy-going culture, and really up-and-coming in the academia world.

Cons

This is probably a criticism more of academia than Cal Poly specifically, but Cal Poly sometimes refused to adopt new technologies or ideologies. Sometimes you have to fire people who aren't assents or try something new and untested.

4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining

Former Employee - Employee  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

Cons

One of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

To the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

Amazing

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and I got to work on a wide variety of projects. The area is beautiful and so are the people that inhabit this wonderful place.

Cons

Not many downsides, besides the lack of diversity. The area is generally white and lacks culture that can be found in places like Berkeley or San Francisco.

Cal Poly can be a good option for students looking for work experience.

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My supervisors were kind, competent, and willing to share their knowledge. Flexible hours and relaxed atmosphere. Fair compensation. There are chances to gain new experience and grow, if you look in the right places.

Cons

Large organization that can feel slow-moving at times. Legacy systems with a lot of history where the purpose is sometimes unclear. Some departments seem disconnected or untrusting of each other. Be prepared to regulate your own performance.

Find ways to increase communication and trust between departments. Encourage individuals to express what would make their work more meaningful. Give them the chance to move towards this. Create processes to support change in ways that feel natural.

Cal Poly Corp doesn't care about Cal Poly's values, only turning a profit

Former Employee - Cook  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Cook in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Constant availability means its fairly easy to get a job here, and easy to get enough hours if you need money. A set quarterly schedule for workers means you don't have a constantly changing schedule like other employers at Cal Poly. "Free-meal passes" are a little bonus each time you work at least four hours.

Cons

No benefits, great reluctance to offer "full-time" positions. Instead they rely on a constant stream of "interim" employees which basically means they'll work you full-time then replace you with someone else after a few months. Students are treated as disposable, and management will simply take them off the schedule to cut back on paid hours without even notifying them. Instead of offering quality food their dining division offers extremely cheap, overpriced food at the expense of its students.

The number one complaint students have at Cal Poly is the food. If the corporation isn't aware of this they really must not care about the students. In my years at Cal Poly as both a student and employee I haven't seen the corporation take any steps to improve the quality of their offerings. Listening to the students would go a long way in improving the stigma that surrounds campus dining.

Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Tutor  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great weather, healthy youthful environment, and intellectually challenging.

Cons

Small regional economy. Bring your own job.

Great education, great campus. I work at Village Market in Poly Canyon Village

Current Employee - Crew Lead - Village Market  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Lead - Village Market in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Easygoing
    -Fun environment; most of my coworkers and I are pretty like-minded, so we gel really well
    -Great supervisor

Cons

-Can get very slow at times

Worked for CAL POLY? Contribute to the Community!