CAL POLY Reviews

Reset
3.8
CAL POLY President Jeffrey D. Armstrong
Jeffrey D. Armstrong

Pros
  • Flexible hours as a student worker; classes come first, then work (in 4 reviews)

• It was a great place to have easy work while making time to study (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to pay for parking, if you drive to work (in 2 reviews)

• Pay raises are almost nonexistent and when you do finally get one, they raise you less than a dollar an hour most of the time (in 2 reviews)

1. Wonderful place to work as a student!

Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Really great flexibility for student schedules. If you are a full-time employee they have excellent benefits. I like the excitement of being on a campus where there is always something going on. Working with students and young people is lots of fun. Most of the people in the housing department (my division) were really awesome people to work with.

Cons

The CSD I worked under was really bad at giving feedback and didnt respect my time. She never recognized any work I did.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees know they are appreciated when they do a good job. Take advice for improvements - you do not know everything (most of them are good at taking feedback for improvements).

2. Wonderful People

Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

These are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They became like a family to me. Time off was never a problem and they made it easy to balance work and school.

Cons

Not many downsides. Of course, when you're just a student assistant, you make minimum wage. Sometimes an angry parent will yell at you over the phone.

Advice to Management

They are excellent. Everything runs smoothly. Things that need to be said are said tactfully. They are just incredibly kind.

3. Pretty friendly place to work.

Former Employee - Professor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Professor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Pleasant place to work, friendly coworks and administrator. A lot of help to new people, such as senior faculty mantuor, release time.

Cons

salary level is so so, small town environment, which may be desirable for some people, but not myself. Hard for spouse to find a job.

Advice to Management

None

5. Cal Poly promotes a fair and welcoming work environment that enables employees to excel.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY

Pros

Cal Poly acknowledges your qualifications and respects the contributions you make to the work place.

Cons

As a student working at Cal Poly it can be difficult working with your peers.

Advice to Management

Continue to find new ways for employees to advance through the system.

6. Nice Place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great community to live in very safe and quiet. We have excellent weather. The salary is good and benefits are great. Most everyone here is nice to work with, overall I really like working here!

Cons

I don't like paying for parking. There haven't been and raises due to the state budget and there are unions.

7. I don't want to leave!

I have been working at CAL POLY

Pros

Home sweet home. The students are enthused, outdoorsy, and very competitive. The smaller town ensures a home-y feel and it makes me want to stay in the college life forever!

Cons

Learn By Doing would be more attainable if classes weren't so impacted. The classes themselves are amazing, but it's hard to stay enthusiastic when you're constantly fighting for what you need and end up taking irrelevant classes just to be a full-time student.

Advice to Management

Don't change to the quarter system, and back up your mission to get student's out in four years.

8. Great School and Academics

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Rigorous curriculum, great mentors, excellent resources

Cons

i cant think of any

9. Excellent learning experience

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

A learning environment. Developed leadership and organizational skills.

Cons

Lack of consistency through the years. Informal business structure and training

10. student researcher at cal poly

Former Employee - Student Researcher in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Researcher in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great staff, great advice from professors

Cons

not the greatest pay, somewhat smaller college so not as much exciting state of the art research, but still great learning environment

Great place to wok. Hard to get in, though.

Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst/Programmer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good for the area. Nice college atmosphere. I like my department and coworkers a lot. Good opportunity to move around once you get a job here.

Cons

Tough competition for jobs. As with any employer, different departments and managers are better than others. Have to pay for parking, if you drive to work. Parking is tight in certain parts of campus.

RSS Feed </> Embed