CAL POLY Reviews

Reset

1. Secure

Former Employee - Staff in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is fine, the benefits are great, and the environment is generally friendly. A positive side effect of the dismal state budgets is that you usually work in small, tight-knit teams and feel like you're "making a difference."

Cons

Top-heavy management structure, limited room for growth. I acquired all of my departed supervisor's duties for five months and was never compensated accordingly. Helplessly self-aware of its own bureaucracy, nothing happens as smoothly as it could.

Advice to Management

Place more interest in the potential growth of your employees and match increased responsibility with fair compensation.

2. Accommodating to part-time students!

Former Employee - Student IT Tech in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student IT Tech in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours as a student worker; classes come first, then work. Awesome boss in the media distribution services department.

Cons

Couldn't work during class hours, so it was either pre-dawn or post-dusk hours. Flexible, but not ideal. The MDS office is in a pretty old basement. It gets dusty down there.

3. Overall, very pleased

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cal Poly is a great place to work. Fantastic location, easy-going culture, and really up-and-coming in the academia world.

Cons

This is probably a criticism more of academia than Cal Poly specifically, but Cal Poly sometimes refused to adopt new technologies or ideologies. Sometimes you have to fire people who aren't assents or try something new and untested.

5. Amazing boss and work environment for an assistant job, but the department heads had ulterior motives .

Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for an on campus position, a great boss, and reasonable hours for a college student.

Cons

No opportunities for promotions or pay raises. The department I was in had some demanding and rude staff. Wanted us to perform degrading jobs like clean up bathrooms or even dead rats. Luckily our boss stepped in, but the department workers do not know how to treat an employee.

6. 4 stars for Cal Poly, 1 star for working for Campus Dining

Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meal with every shift and you get to meet some pretty cool people when there's a lull in service

Cons

One of the managers is the worst person to deal with, ever. My very first shift (4 hours) and she wouldn't let me take a single break or use my meal. She'll tell you what to do but not how to do it so you're on your own.

Advice to Management

To the one manager who cannot lead: What are you in a hurry for? When you're not barking orders, all you do is stand around looking for something to complain about.

7. Amazing

I worked at CAL POLY

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and I got to work on a wide variety of projects. The area is beautiful and so are the people that inhabit this wonderful place.

Cons

Not many downsides, besides the lack of diversity. The area is generally white and lacks culture that can be found in places like Berkeley or San Francisco.

8. Cal Poly Corp doesn't care about Cal Poly's values, only turning a profit

Former Employee - Cook in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Cook in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant availability means its fairly easy to get a job here, and easy to get enough hours if you need money. A set quarterly schedule for workers means you don't have a constantly changing schedule like other employers at Cal Poly. "Free-meal passes" are a little bonus each time you work at least four hours.

Cons

No benefits, great reluctance to offer "full-time" positions. Instead they rely on a constant stream of "interim" employees which basically means they'll work you full-time then replace you with someone else after a few months. Students are treated as disposable, and management will simply take them off the schedule to cut back on paid hours without even notifying them. Instead of offering quality food their dining division offers extremely cheap, overpriced food at the expense of its students.

Advice to Management

The number one complaint students have at Cal Poly is the food. If the corporation isn't aware of this they really must not care about the students. In my years at Cal Poly as both a student and employee I haven't seen the corporation take any steps to improve the quality of their offerings. Listening to the students would go a long way in improving the stigma that surrounds campus dining.

9. Cal Poly can be a good option for students looking for work experience.

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My supervisors were kind, competent, and willing to share their knowledge. Flexible hours and relaxed atmosphere. Fair compensation. There are chances to gain new experience and grow, if you look in the right places.

Cons

Large organization that can feel slow-moving at times. Legacy systems with a lot of history where the purpose is sometimes unclear. Some departments seem disconnected or untrusting of each other. Be prepared to regulate your own performance.

Advice to Management

Find ways to increase communication and trust between departments. Encourage individuals to express what would make their work more meaningful. Give them the chance to move towards this. Create processes to support change in ways that feel natural.

10. Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at CAL POLY part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great weather, healthy youthful environment, and intellectually challenging.

Cons

Small regional economy. Bring your own job.

11. Top-down administration

Current Employee - Professor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Professor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at CAL POLY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, freedom to run classes the way I want

Cons

Workload continuously increasing, no raise in salary for ages

RSS Feed </> Embed