CALIBRE Systems

Joseph A. Martore

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent employee-owned firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfying, challenging work supporting numerous federal agencies. Company offers internal training through CALIBRE University as well as tuition reimbursement, employer contributions to employee 401k plans, and an employee stock ownership program after an initial qualifying period. The company also has a generous vacation and holiday program and robust health, dental, vision and wellness programs.

Cons

Most of the company's work is in the District of Columbia metro area, although there are small offices in Huntsville, AL; San Antonio, TX and San Diego, CA.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Program Analyst III in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst III in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee ownership give each employee a voice in the company. Directors listen to their people and encourage business development efforts. The CEO is an active email communicator and encourages team members to network and better understand the business.

Cons

Risk averse. This company has a ton of potential in other parts of the federal government but seems to be stuck in the DoD environment. They need to attract diverse talent from other agencies outside of DoD to build rapport and relationships in DHS, EPA, Commerce and other Executive Agencies.

Get out and meet with your teams on a monthly basis. Find out what's going on at the deck plate and encourage employees to be creative and network outside of their normal scope of work.

Good professional development, sub par management

Former Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CALIBRE does provide a great set of tools and work opportunities that pave the way to good professional development. Hierarchical ladder is clearly shown and quarterly/annual meetings disclose company progress, goals, achievements and areas of improvement. Learning opportunities available for those who take charge. ESOP is a good plus for those who can stand being here for over 5 years.

Cons

Hierarchical ladder is mostly for show as progression through the ranks/positions is not directly tied to performance evaluations, neither is pay. A lot of ruthless competitive attitude among employees (at all levels) but not unusual in mid-size and large companies. "Best Places to Work" surveys are only distributed to key personnel to ensure good reviews. Internal "anonymous" surveys are NOT anonymous.

Maintain surveys anonymous to promote real criticism on areas that have to be improved. Implement better bottom up and top down review of employees as scare tactics seem to keep everyone in check. Improve management training for those in managerial positions. Most of them are promoted not due to professional advancements but rather a buddy system, causing an overall lack in leadership.

I liked working here... but was overworked.

Former Employee - Technical Editor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Editor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really enjoyed the people I worked with at CALIBRE (though I was--and still am--bewildered by the sudden snubbing by a younger coworker with whom I'd been close friends. Suddenly she was no longer speaking to me, and I still don't know why!) Offices were quite nice. The commute from Arlington was not bad, and there was a very pleasant coffee shop/lunch place in the lobby.

Cons

For a time we dealt with a manager who barely knew what he was doing, but that was rectified, which was some relief. However, there was much more work than could be handled by only a couple of editors, and 60-hour work weeks just kept happening. Needed to leave so that I could have a non-work life again!

It may well be that it is now CALIBRE management's practice to keep enough folks hired to cover all that needs to be done. Our department was made up of a small company that had just merged to become a part of CALIBRE, and perhaps things just had to get into a groove.

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee ownership; the company is made of great people who care about helping their customers succeed. Compared to its competitors, CALIBRE cares more.

Cons

I worked there over 10 years, and I'd say that it's trying to figure out how to be a big company and maintain its culture - that's probably where some of the bad reviews are coming from.

Concentrate on the culture - empower the employees who are entrepreneurs AND the ones who want to do a great job for their customers and maintain a balanced life.

Lots of smart people

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good chance for advancement if you're willing to be flexible.

Cons

Market is tough in government services.

Keep the benefits

Growing company with an amazing internship program!

Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Your internship largely depends on your supervisor. My internship experience was incredible! I learned a lot and gained a lot of transferable skills. The hourly pay for this internship is also extremely gracious. There would be events for the interns to bond together, such as Top Golf, Pizza Parties, Bar Hopping.

Cons

None that I can think of.

The internship experience for interns largely depends on their supervisors. Make sure supervisors have enough time set aside to keep interns busy.

The people make the difference

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at CALIBRE for several years. The people are exceptional, and opportunities are available if you want them. If you're the kind of person who wants to get things accomplished and learn all aspects of the business, it's a great place to work. Ethical focus is not just lip service. The leave is generous, benefits are good, and the employee stock options are great. Internal training is widely available and frequently conducted by executive management. External training and most benefits are at least on par with the market. It is a steadily growing company; management at the executive level is careful, accessible, and thoroughly involved. It's a place where, despite 750 employees, you will likely be known to the C-level team.

Cons

This is not the best place if you want a predictable, 9-5 type job, and the culture is heavily driven by the fact that the majority of people are former military (can be a pro and a con). The pay is not the top of the market. You have to have an entrepreneurial mindset and reach for opportunities, and even with that attitude, advancing can be difficult.

Communication effectively through all levels of the organization has improved, but is still a challenge. Effectively integrating those employees who are at offsite locations is another continual challenge. Finally, recommend developing/standardizing metrics for advancement.

Newbie Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Training, Development, Team

Cons

Long Commute, No Telework Option

Outstanding employee owned company - much better than the "big" defense contractors

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Open and engaged leadership
    2. Friendly employee environment
    3. Flexibility of a small firm (ie less than 100 employees) but with the resources of a larger firm (ie greater than 5000)
    4. They pay overtime!!!!!!

Cons

Still developing more clients in the commercial space, mostly federal government work so you have to recognize that up front.

Stay the course and do NOT sell the company - keep it employee owned. It makes all the difference in the world.

CALIBRE Systems Photos