CALIBRE Systems

Joseph A. Martore

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee ownership; the company is made of great people who care about helping their customers succeed. Compared to its competitors, CALIBRE cares more.

Cons

I worked there over 10 years, and I'd say that it's trying to figure out how to be a big company and maintain its culture - that's probably where some of the bad reviews are coming from.

Concentrate on the culture - empower the employees who are entrepreneurs AND the ones who want to do a great job for their customers and maintain a balanced life.

I liked working here... but was overworked.

Former Employee - Technical Editor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Editor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really enjoyed the people I worked with at CALIBRE (though I was--and still am--bewildered by the sudden snubbing by a younger coworker with whom I'd been close friends. Suddenly she was no longer speaking to me, and I still don't know why!) Offices were quite nice. The commute from Arlington was not bad, and there was a very pleasant coffee shop/lunch place in the lobby.

Cons

For a time we dealt with a manager who barely knew what he was doing, but that was rectified, which was some relief. However, there was much more work than could be handled by only a couple of editors, and 60-hour work weeks just kept happening. Needed to leave so that I could have a non-work life again!

It may well be that it is now CALIBRE management's practice to keep enough folks hired to cover all that needs to be done. Our department was made up of a small company that had just merged to become a part of CALIBRE, and perhaps things just had to get into a groove.

Lots of smart people

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good chance for advancement if you're willing to be flexible.

Cons

Market is tough in government services.

Keep the benefits

Growing company with an amazing internship program!

Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Your internship largely depends on your supervisor. My internship experience was incredible! I learned a lot and gained a lot of transferable skills. The hourly pay for this internship is also extremely gracious. There would be events for the interns to bond together, such as Top Golf, Pizza Parties, Bar Hopping.

Cons

None that I can think of.

The internship experience for interns largely depends on their supervisors. Make sure supervisors have enough time set aside to keep interns busy.

The people make the difference

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at CALIBRE for several years. The people are exceptional, and opportunities are available if you want them. If you're the kind of person who wants to get things accomplished and learn all aspects of the business, it's a great place to work. Ethical focus is not just lip service. The leave is generous, benefits are good, and the employee stock options are great. Internal training is widely available and frequently conducted by executive management. External training and most benefits are at least on par with the market. It is a steadily growing company; management at the executive level is careful, accessible, and thoroughly involved. It's a place where, despite 750 employees, you will likely be known to the C-level team.

Cons

This is not the best place if you want a predictable, 9-5 type job, and the culture is heavily driven by the fact that the majority of people are former military (can be a pro and a con). The pay is not the top of the market. You have to have an entrepreneurial mindset and reach for opportunities, and even with that attitude, advancing can be difficult.

Communication effectively through all levels of the organization has improved, but is still a challenge. Effectively integrating those employees who are at offsite locations is another continual challenge. Finally, recommend developing/standardizing metrics for advancement.

Newbie Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Training, Development, Team

Cons

Long Commute, No Telework Option

Outstanding employee owned company - much better than the "big" defense contractors

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Open and engaged leadership
    2. Friendly employee environment
    3. Flexibility of a small firm (ie less than 100 employees) but with the resources of a larger firm (ie greater than 5000)
    4. They pay overtime!!!!!!

Cons

Still developing more clients in the commercial space, mostly federal government work so you have to recognize that up front.

Stay the course and do NOT sell the company - keep it employee owned. It makes all the difference in the world.

Employee-owned and focused company that lives its First Principles--be ethical, do a great job, and renew oursevles.

Current Employee - Division Vice-President, LMS in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Division Vice-President, LMS in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, employee-ownership, customer-focused, with a dedicated staff of employees that are rewarded for great work.

Cons

The Govertnment market is tough--while we strive to bring people on and retain them for a career, the nature of Government Contracting doesn't allow that for everyone.

Retain the Employee-Stock Ownership Plan--it is a unique incentive that is the key to the employee-focused culture.

Very employee friendly

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very employee-orientated with a great ESOP and other benefits. Flex schedules and the ability to work offsite when needed was great.

Cons

Adopting change was often difficult. Complacently was sometimes tolerated. Getting approval for training was nearly impossible.

Great people doing good work

I worked at CALIBRE Systems full-time

Pros

Smart people, employee-owned firm, proficient in its niche with federal contracting, excellent focus on customer service, opportunities to grow and, to a lesser extent, develop professionally

Cons

Too-tied to federal contracts within Army, thanks to many in senior leadership being ex-Army or Army civilian employees. A little too risk-averse in some areas of business development, in that not clear on what skills should invest in to win new work. Strategy seems largely reactive.

Clearly delineate whether company is management consulting company or provider of staff augmentation on various contracts, as it is nearly impossible to do both well at the same time for the same customer.

CALIBRE Systems Photos