CAMBA Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.4

Joanne M. Oplustil

Ok place to work, promotion difficult, pay what you expect at nonprofit

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at CAMBA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly laid back. 9-5 job, not a minute more required. If you like work life balance, you have it here.

Cons

lots of drama, both staff and the clientele. Poor pay and limited upward mobility.

The Worst Place To Be

I worked at CAMBA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

some people were genuinely nice, these being mainly the entry level employees......nothing else. Take this job if you can't find anything else or as a stepping stone to something better.

Cons

old equipment, paper-thin walls, low moral, stuck in their old ways, toxic environment and low pay. Seems like they hire anyone who will accept the low pay and it just makes the environment even more unbearable.

hire more professional employees!!! This place needs a complete 360. Filled with older upper management who are basically "yesers" they just agree to everything that they are told from their supervisors. This company needs innovators otherwise it'll continue to be a toxic company!

I had a great experience as an intern for CAMBA.

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at CAMBA as an intern

Pros

Camba is a very caring community.

Cons

My only issue is that i was not getting enough hours.

Do not Work for Heath homes!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CAMBA full-time

Pros

MET GREAT PEOPLE.
    Not much more to say about this place!!!!!

Cons

Supervisors and Management are a joke! They dont value their employees at all! Everyone is unprofessional and its horrible to work for Health Homes. They pay is crap for all the work you Must do.
    They sell dreams to clients and dont help with anything!

VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!
    SUPPORT YOUR STAFF!
    QUALITY IS BETTER THAN QUANITY!

Horrible, Horrible Organization to work for.

Former Employee - Program Leader in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at CAMBA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pretty much hire anybody.
    You get to meet some amazing people.
    It's an experience you can put on your resume.

Cons

Unorganized. Unprofessional supervisors and supervisors. Low pay. Too much favoritism and nepotism going on and if you call them out on it, you get blackballed. Supervisors and higher ups have no respect for the staff. It's always their way or no way, even if it may be immoral.

Try visiting your sites without any notice and see what's really going on. These coordinators sure know how to put on a show when they know you guys are coming. Have respect for those under you, because you can easily find yourself back at the bottom.

Camba is for Camba

Current Employee - Everything in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Everything in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at CAMBA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits after 6 months probation are good, if you can last that long.

Cons

Camba is so busy trying to prove themselves to its sponsors that they abuse the workers. At my site I work outside my job description doing everything from maintenance to manual labor and never received a honest thank you.
    I lost my parent and during the process had to take off several days visiting doctors, lawyers, hospitals and funeral. Afterwards I found myself in a meeting with HR who started with "you have our condolences" and then read me the riot act i.e. "Did you read the employee handbook?". Consequently I was forced to work even when sick to keep my job. At best it's a stepping stone to a better job but at the end of the day Camba is for Camba!

Hire qualified managers and stop the nepotism.

Brooklyn CAMBA Cluster program was a horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at CAMBA full-time

Pros

Helping homeless families; coworkers were fun to work with.

Cons

Condescending and Disorganized Management; Ridiculous and UNNECESSARY deadlines; Management makes decisions based on FEAR; inefficiency; lack of guidance; Lies; Job Insecurity

Management needs to stop berating their employees otherwise real issues cannot be resolved. This place runs on fear. Management's excuse for disorganization is that Brooklyn CAMBA Cluster is a non-profit and there are insufficient funds. NOT TRUE. Management can organize the program better without more funds. They refuse to take the time and revamp the procedures because they are too afraid of our funder, NYC Dept of Homeless Services. They are NOT open to suggestions. Work-life balance is HORRIBLE. Zero life outside of work because you work from 9am - 9pm just to meet ridiculous and unnecessary deadlines that serves NO PURPOSE. The amount of work put into a project is quadruple the value of what its worth. This is the worst job i've ever had. DO NOT WORK AT BROOKLYN CAMBA CLUSTER. However, CAMBA itself is different.

"counselor"

I have been working at CAMBA full-time

Pros

It MAY be a good stepping stone (depending on your preference), but nothing more than that. If you have received higher than a bachelors degree education, then this is NOT the agency for you, unless you are okay with working for free and don't have any loans to pay back.

Cons

There are way too many. Let's start with the "benefits" package...If you have not accrued enough vacation time or if you decide to not take time off when working with schools, you are expected to sit in one of the CAMBA offices and stare ate your fellow co-workers for your entire shift. There was mention of internet access to complete work that may need to be done, but that can only be done if there are computers to be provided. They do NOT provide computers for employees to do work. Should you decide to bring your laptop or any other device to use internet, there's NO WIFI to connect to.
    CAMBA does not provide professional development nor does it offer opportunity to grow and develop, especially if you are a licensed professional. There are many other non profit agencies throughout the NYC area that actually provide support to their employees and clients.

Why would I provide advice to make this agency better? As an employee, my advice and suggestions are not respected. My talent will not be wasted on an organization that does NOT consider or appreciate their staff.

Legal Staff

I worked at CAMBA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience, lots of independence, manage own case load

Cons

Clients can be difficult and challenging.

Increase pay to staff and provide yearly raises

It was alright

Current Employee - Group Leader in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at CAMBA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Boss was great but supervisor - not so much

Cons

Lack of flexibity - Everyday work schedule