CAMP Systems

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ken Gray

It's not great, but I've worked for worse places too

Web Developer (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsManagement does seem to be starting to think along the lines of what might be needed for growth. There is some potential there. The flexible hours are nice. The people I work with, including my direct managers are nice.

ConsThe pay is lower than it should be. And the amount of time I see people spending here is pretty crazy. So it seems like people are just clinging to their jobs here for fear of the job market. Also the product design is pretty awful. The code is a mess and very hard to learn because there's no documentation, and no instructive comments in the code. And the design is very poorly done so it becomes very difficult to follow a code path to the code you need in order to make a change or a fix. It's pretty brutal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know how much upper management is paid, but if the gap between upper management and the grunts is large... fix that. Stop being greedy and pay the employees more. There are a lot of hard working people here who deserve to be paid very well. Also, a ground up re-design without the tens of thousands of lines of JavaScript might be good.

I wasn't valued as an employee / bad management

Web Graphics Designer (Former Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY

ProsCoffee machine.. Ehhh it's drinkable. Bagel Friday's. Nice vending food. Flexible hours. Company socials seem good (at least food wise). Workers work because it's a "job."

ConsThere is no level of respect. They make it seem like there is, but there isn't in the Tech Dept. I have never been treated so unfairly, and so disregarded as an employee ever in my life. Most of the time I would work on a project three weeks on and three weeks off. So that meant that for 3 weeks I'd be twiddling my thumbs not working, yet collecting a pay check. And when I'd request work, it'd be something silly like placing an icon somewhere. Mainly, my manager didn't know how to handle my kind of work. My work wasn't important enough for the customer it seemed. The director didn't know how to manage me. He just didn't value my employment.
    The programming is all choppy and messy because non-Americans are working on them. The Indian level of computer education doesn't match that of an American worker. CAMP's programs = cheap labor. And it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time and hire some professionals to teach the managers HOW TO BE good managers. Because you have people who are managers who SHOULDN'T BE managers.
    Also stop being greedy, managers are getting 120k bonus where "grunts" are getting 1% to 2% bonus. It's disgusting.
    The employees aren't the problem, it's bad management. We just want to work in a place, be happy and earn to live. It's already tough as it is living on Long Island, stop making it worse by depressing your workers.

Stepping stone, stop gap, avoid if possible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent health benefits. Decent PTO if you don't have to use it if there is a blizzard or a natural disaster- this place never closes even when major roadways are closed or a hurricane knocks out the power for a week.

ConsUnending work and meager salary raises, very unprofessional environment, building is falling apart, lack of structure in terms of advancement. Most people would bolt at the chance to go somewhere else. High turnover and no interest to find out why.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and reward excellence. Find out where the fat lies and cut it out, it's killing the company. Offer a competitive salary and empower employees by allowing them to work remotely.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Totally disorganized and badly run company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsNot many.. Bagels on Friday, if that is the sort of thing you are going for. Medical benefits are decent.

ConsOverworked and under (read "not") appreciated. CEO is too far removed and has no clue about what's going on at the grassroots level. COO has no strategy in place and makes people jump through hoops. The company is ticking away waiting for an implosion.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees at all levels including middle management are extremely dissatisfied. They will bolt at the first opportunity. Don't micromanage, empower people.

Very unorganized management

Aircraft Maintenance Analyst (Current Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY

ProsHealth Benefits, Reasonable PTO time if not used for snow days

ConsVery unorganized management(lack of structure), low pay for the amount of work and type of work performed, lack of training, HR dept helpful only on certain things which are of little significance. No opportunity for input or to grow, Suggestions from lower ranking staff taking with a grain of salt. Company will not make it once senior staff leaves high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better management structure and proper chain of command. Improve turnover rate, Stop only relying on senior staff that will retire in 5 years time and focus on the future of the company.

Extremely Frustrating some of the time.

Operations (Current Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY

ProsMany nice co-workers. Most employees seem to really want to do the right thing for customers.

ConsThere are frequent changes in jobs and responsibilities, often seemingly done without strategic planning (or so it appears) Very little training for complex processes. MICRO MANAGEMENT of little things yet no direction for the important things that really matter. The salaries for highly skilled people are very limited at least among my colleagues. The work itself is often quite dull. No sick time or opportunity to carry over vacation time from on year to next.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to LISTEN to concerns of their employees without threat of punishment or dismissal. There is an underlying sense of fear felt by many, that you're always one small infraction away from being dismissed. There are a lot of good people who work for you that don't fell very valued

POlOUSY sALARPOORYO

UNDER PAID (Current Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY

ProsThere really isn't any pros.

ConsPOOR salary. Overworked & underpaid. Ridiculous PTO time offered. 8 days a year combined for vacation and sick. You are expected to do a ton of different jobs for low paying salary. It would take me years to make the salary I use to make. The current salary I make now, I made that at least 8+ years ago, so you know it's going to take me years to even reach middle $40K. Have to work day before Christmas and day after. Not enough paid holidays. As soon as another job opportunity opens up, I am leaving. Not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry paying your employees real /decent salaries and that includes your admin staff. You guys make millions a year in profit and pay the crappiest wages.

Good Company, Very Stable

Aircraft/Aviation Analyst (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGrowing - lots of opportunity. In Aviation you get to work with lots of companies. Experience with CAMP is in demand with many Aircraft OEMs. Management has lots of industry experience.

ConsWith rapid growth, change is hard to keep up with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the company events - bagel Fridays - picnics - community involvement like heart walks, etc. Love being able to participate in industry golf events!

Great company, good culture, very positive professional experience.

Management (Current Employee) Merrimack, NH

ProsThe company is very results oriented, and yet there is an entrepreneurial and flexible environment. If you can think of a better way to do something, you are empowered to make it happen. If you are a smart, motivated person, you will find a way to add value and have a positive experience.

ConsThe company has its quirks and I have my pet peeves, like I would with any other company. However, there is no significant cons to working here when comparing the place to other employers.

It's okay.......

Aircraft Maintenance Analyst (Current Employee) Ronkonkoma, NY

ProsGreat vacation time and nice employees

ConsOver worked/under paid, micro-managing, high employee turn over rate, employee review (why have a 1-5 review scale and no one ever gets a 5?), and boring working environment

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees the same. It's not fair that new employees are walking in making more money than current employees because you can't keep them after a month, then they plan on leaving a few months after. If there was a real human resources dept this would never happen. Also, stop the micro managing. That's another reason why people walk through the front door and walk out the back door, never to be seen again. Last but not least, work on your review system.

Worked for CAMP Systems? Contribute to the Community!