CARE USA

Helene D. Gayle

Good work experience

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsStaff people are very motivated and dedicated to the mission.

ConsWorking through reorganization is sometimes a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is much improved. Keep up the good work.

So so, a little slow and self-reverential

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsInspiring social objectives; decent benefits; good travel opportunities

ConsSenior Management very poor; very high turnover of staff and strategic directions. Next to no internal growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not for you. Move along.

Great company doing great work

Atlanta, GA

ProsStrong mission and commitment to vision; diverse work environment; treat employees well; Opportunities to do work that has a meaningful impact on the world.

ConsLots of transition and instability, which seems to have been ongoing for a number of years, with no end in sight. People seem to move from position to position pretty often within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide stability for employees, develop employees in their positions, create clear career advancement paths and opportunities for employees to build on knowledge and skills rather than hopping from position to position, often across departments and teams.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CARE USA Challenge defining new role in changing world of development

Intern (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunities for Travel, Flexibility with Schedule, Culturally Diverse, Wide Range of Projects. Experience overseas with a CARE country office was much more positive than here in the US HQ.

ConsUS: Savvy and innovative employees quickly move out due to constantly shifting priorities and lack of job security. Poor job security has staff worried about the wrong issues (proving their self-worth at any cost, rather than focusing on fixing and sustaining good programs) Lots of Inefficiencies and challenges in defining new role in changing international environment. Failure to learn from mistakes or work in a unified manner across teams leads to many issues both short and long-term.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to start learning from mistakes and have better organizational planning, but high staff turnover a very serious issue. Not a good time to start working her, likely downsizing in the months and years to come.

Heartbreaking to see the org fail time after time

ProsCARE has a lot of pros. There's good time off, schedule flexibility, and a descent benefits package. Smart, dedicated people work at CARE. The mission is excellent and CARE seems to excel at it's work abroad.

ConsThe main challenge is that leadership has failed. CARE's leadership can't seem to get the organization on firm footing and has basically thrown in the towel, hoping to save it by slimming down to next to nothing by 2020. That means, if you aren't already working at CARE, don't start now. You're likely to find yourself in a temporary position, even if it's not advertised that way. Most of the old timers at CARE USA are gone, voluntarily or not, along with all their ideas, knowledge, and non-profit know how. Those who have stepped in to replace them aren't meeting the monumental challenges before them, which would be hard for anyone to do.

Many wonderful people, but dysfunctional leadership and insular culture.

Director (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGlobal footprint, interesting work. There are many wonderful and committed professionals. Many opportunities for travel.

ConsThe insist on reinventing themselves every few years, and believe they have a monopoly on wisdom in development programming.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real managers.

Great mission, Under managed and underpaid organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission, the benefits, the travel, the low cost of living in Atlanta. There are some very smart well meaning people there. It is also a very culturally diverse workplace.

ConsUpper management has the reputation of being incompetent and yet no one is ever accountable for any failures. They have had a lot of lay offs in recent years and seem to be a shrinking organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people with management experience. Think outside the box when it comes to models of poverty alleviation.

Where is the accountability?

IT Director (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, specially in the country offices, very dedicated and committed to their work.

ConsA Board and executive management team that have lost the vision and mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management? I don't think they will listen to any advice, the accountability is gone. My advice to the Board is to change management and institute a robust framework of accountability for results. Its so sad to see a great organization collapse like this.

Tragic to see the state of this NGO

Technical Advisor (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsIt's CARE - formerly one of the best international NGOs to work for! The staff that do remain are great and a pleasure to work with - both at HQ and in the field.

ConsConstant reorganization. Develop a clear vision of the future and work toward that. What is it that CARE wants to be? Humanitarian response? Focused on women and girls? Focused on poverty reduction? Instead, numerous consulting firms are brought in to revamp this vision. It's sad - they split up technical areas to then only merge them back a year later. Or, they lay people off only to rehire them in a few months because they've lost all the capacity in a certain area. If they would map out what they wanted, they could eliminate the back and forthing that erodes staff confidence in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSadly, I believe that the majority of the senior management should seek opportunities elsewhere and allow new people to come and help CARE return to its former greatness.

The day I quit CARE will be the best day on the job.

Staff (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe mission statement is what kept me around for so long.

ConsEverything- senior management is really senior mis-management. This is a "burn and churn" factory

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about your staff and you might retain them. It should not be this difficult to work for an organization

Worked for CARE USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CARE USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CARE USA CEO Helene D. Gayle. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by CARE USA employees.