CARFAX

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
4.3

Richard Raines

Pros
  • I'm also able to have a great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, time off, not micromanged for the most part, great product that you can believe in, coworkers are wonderful, free friday lunch (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat organization, which turns some people off (in 7 reviews)

• There is little room for growth unless you know someone (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Team CARFAX rocks!

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CARFAX is truly a team atmosphere where employees have the ability to play to their strengths. Collaboration is encouraged in everything from developing and implementing new technologies to celebrating and sharing successes. Agile in nature, CARFAX allows for continuous improvement and flexibility in satisfying the needs of the business.

Cons

What cons? Truly a great place to work with awesome people and a positive culture.

Outstanding HR department

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have now worked with two of the HR recruiters and can say nothing but great things about them and the company. Both Moneik and Delphine were both professional, personable, and responsive at all stages of the process. When I think about wanting to work for this company they have only reinforced my opinion of their commitment to their company and employees. If you apply know you will get treatment you may not get at other companies... responsiveness and respect.

Cons

I have found nothing that needs to be improved on yet.

Continue this outstanding performance as it reflects well on your company.

Great

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Fun place to work and collaborate

Cons

Better food choices for Friday lunch!

Grateful I am a part of it

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous growth potential , Visionary Leadership, Pioneering market position. We are currently in the infancy stage of our true potential .....

Cons

What Cons? Our culture is unrivaled anywhere, period. We take great pride in maintaining the integrity of our culture and firmly believe that its as easy as hiring great people.

Forever remain the Pioneers! Clearing the path and setting market standards is our methodology. Crystal clear vision and unwavering support ensure our continued success.

Never plan on leaving

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

I love the people that I work with and the opportunities that I have to make my job my own. They truly believe in work/life balance.

Cons

Gaining the CARFAX 15 from all the celebrations. :)

Sep 30, 2014Communications Director

We're really glad you're enjoying working here. We hope every member of Team CARFAX feels like they can make their job their own. If you have any tips on how you're doing it, please feel free to ... More

An incredible team atmosphere and culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is casual but everyone knows what is expected of them. The team enviorment is the best that I have ever been associated with. I can't imagine working for another company.

Cons

The normal challenges that you experience when you work for a business that has been very successful. Very low turn over so not as many opportunities as I would like to see.

The wisdom of crowds that allow everyone to have a say in the priorities of the business is very empowering.

Truly a GREAT Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for a company where I feel truly valued as an employee. Every day I come to work, I'm able to work in a way that plays to my strengths and also laugh and have fun with my co-workers. We are great about celebrating our successes as a company. I love that we make time to celebrate and have fun events at work. I'm also able to have a great work-life balance. My manager is very flexible if I need to leave the office for a bit or work from home one day. Honestly, I can't imagine any place I would rather work!

Cons

It's a flat organization, so you're not going to get a new title every year. However, that doesn't mean you can't still grow as a professional. There are still opportunities to learn new skills and take on new tasks.

I hope I can spend the rest of my career here

Current Employee - Manager in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for a few other companies and really none compare. If you know what you are doing and can make a positive contribution, you are recognized and appreciated and that's what matters. I have complete support for my work from my boss, and from what I see, right up to the senior team. The culture is what I would call a true 'dot-com' culture- laid back office environment where you have plenty of options to blow off stress and hang with your co-workers. Don't get me wrong- people work hard but you should put 100% into the job wherever you work. This place just happens to make it as fun as possible while respecting you as an individual.

Cons

I wouldn't say I can think of any con's- obviously I like where I work- that's why I stay. You do need to work hard and bring something to the table to contribute to the success of the company. But there is a great work-life balance and I appreciate that.

Keep doing what you are doing- provide leadership to make our product the best it can be (and that's ongoing- we can't rest on where we are at currently.)

Work here to experience success

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Top to bottom, everyone believes in the product and our mission. Very relaxed culture, no one constantly looking over your shoulder or at their watch. Do your job and do it well and you have all the freedom you want. Competitive benefits, great time off plan, clear vision of company future. Company goes out of its way to recognize individual success and celebrate corporate achievements.

Cons

Flat organization, which turns some people off. If increasing title is important to you, this is probably not the place you want. Responsibilities grow but upward mobility is stagnant.

Sep 5, 2014Communications Director

Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm and hope it's just your first 10 years. We think having a flat company without a lot of middle management and titles is really helpful: It's helped us keep that ... More

CARFAX optimized for Developer Happiness

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CARFAX operates with an Agile software process. Small software teams work through weekly iterations utilizing a git and CI oriented workflow. Testing and Pair programming are the foundation for good design decisions, minimizing technical debt and creating a sustainable pace of development.

Cons

With all the perks and optimizations for developer happiness, it is easy to regret jobs held prior to this one. About 90% of the companies developers are based out of Columbia, MO so if you wanted to remote in or move about the country, this isn't the company for you.

Jul 29, 2014Communications Director

WOW. We're really glad to hear you think we're optimized for developer happiness. We're really committed to making sure that CARFAX works for those who work here. You're helping millions of people ... More