CARFAX

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
4.4

Richard Raines

Pros
  • I'm also able to have a great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Strong sense of community and comradery, open communication, casual dress, free Friday lunch, lots of holidays, great bonus plan (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat organization, which turns some people off (in 7 reviews)

• There is little room for growth unless you know someone (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Centerville, Goochland, VA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Centerville, Goochland, VA

I worked at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work place balance and pay. Laidback environment.

Cons

Lack of structured Job training to prepare you to succeed. Management is very much High School like, they play obvious favorites.

Invest more in preparing your new representatives to succeed.

Fun, family first workplace with the ability to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people that work hard creating new applications for public website consumption is never ending, so if you love to build, create and innovate this is a technical playground that produces something no other company can match. change is constant (to some might be considered a con) but when that change is from something you identified as problem area and proposed the solution then it was implemented.. change is a pro

Core values such as transparency, no jerks, and work hard play hard when followed creates a amazing group of people to spend your workday with.

most people walk around with a smile and are genuinely happy to be work that day

Cons

internal position promotion is limited and some upper mgmt is only there because of their tenure not their qualifications which creates an environment where leadership has no technical knowledge, they rely solely on the isolated silos of technical expertise but there is no big picture direction which in turn causes the negative type of changes and challenges in an organization. The senior level on the IT side of the business changed a few years ago and it is getting better but unfortunately there are still key positions that need re-organization to allow for a more seamless flow of technology innovation and implementation and the recent steps to improve this has proven negative results which indicates poor upper mgmt direction/decisions...

Compensation is low and average raises are 2-3%

read the con reviews in Glassdoor and think of ways to allow for upward career advancements. Like a vacation of the old business model of Jr to Sr level positions that are defined and shown to allow for a shift in job duties with increased responsibilities but are rewarded with perks and compensation.

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management really appreciates hard work. I've been working in the professional world for a long time and this is the only place where the managers and directors get in there and take on problems; they don't delegate the hard stuff to their staff. Great work vs. life balance, and making sure the people are happy is a big concern of the company.

Cons

Recently became a publicly traded company so dealing with those new requirements has been a challenge. Things change very quickly there and often changes cause problems that would probably be caught if an effective testing environment were in place.

Keep up the good work, you value your people and that makes it a great place to work. Don't be in such a hurry to get products to market. There's really no competition in this area (Vehicle History Reports) so let's make the product work right without having to fix a lot of problems later.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really does practice what they preach. It is not uncommon to see people playing friendly pranks on each other or having fun conversations. At Carfax, your life comes first. They are lenient on time off and understand that you may not be able to always be at work. They also encourage everyone to better themselves by giving everyone Friday afternoon as personal dev time. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help each other, even across different departments. Oh and did i mention free Friday lunch for the whole company?

Cons

There is not much room for advancement. Its not as bad as some places, but there is a lot of nepotism and office politics. Some people take the whole "we like to have fun" thing a little too far.

Great place to work, however can be political.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Most of the people are great, but there is the occasional one off. I don't see a lot of favoritism and management mostly appreciates any feedback you have to offer.

Cons

Communication can be lacking between departments and management doesn't fully understand what tasks are involved in some roles.

Show that you can relate to your employees and be sure that you do understand their roles and know how they contribute. .

Team CARFAX rocks!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CARFAX is truly a team atmosphere where employees have the ability to play to their strengths. Collaboration is encouraged in everything from developing and implementing new technologies to celebrating and sharing successes. Agile in nature, CARFAX allows for continuous improvement and flexibility in satisfying the needs of the business.

Cons

What cons? Truly a great place to work with awesome people and a positive culture.

Outstanding HR department

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have now worked with two of the HR recruiters and can say nothing but great things about them and the company. Both Moneik and Delphine were both professional, personable, and responsive at all stages of the process. When I think about wanting to work for this company they have only reinforced my opinion of their commitment to their company and employees. If you apply know you will get treatment you may not get at other companies... responsiveness and respect.

Cons

I have found nothing that needs to be improved on yet.

Continue this outstanding performance as it reflects well on your company.

Grateful I am a part of it

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous growth potential , Visionary Leadership, Pioneering market position. We are currently in the infancy stage of our true potential .....

Cons

What Cons? Our culture is unrivaled anywhere, period. We take great pride in maintaining the integrity of our culture and firmly believe that its as easy as hiring great people.

Forever remain the Pioneers! Clearing the path and setting market standards is our methodology. Crystal clear vision and unwavering support ensure our continued success.

Great

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Fun place to work and collaborate

Cons

Better food choices for Friday lunch!

Never plan on leaving

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

I love the people that I work with and the opportunities that I have to make my job my own. They truly believe in work/life balance.

Cons

Gaining the CARFAX 15 from all the celebrations. :)

CARFAX Response

Sep 30, 2014Communications Director

We're really glad you're enjoying working here. We hope every member of Team CARFAX feels like they can make their job their own. If you have any tips on how you're doing it, please feel free to ... More