CARFAX Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.3
Richard Raines

Pros
  • They truly believe in work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Strong sense of community and comradery, open communication, casual dress, free Friday lunch, lots of holidays, great bonus plan (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a flat organization, so you're not going to get a new title every year (in 7 reviews)

• No room for growth or promotion (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Work-Life Balance - Committed to making employees happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance is amazing. CARFAX cares about your well-being and wants you to be happy where you work every day. The benefits are second to none. Medical, Dental, etc and the paid time off is a huge bonus. Great interaction with upper management throughout the work day and they take the time to talk with you. Open Door policy.

Cons

You can move up through the company with promotions but it does take some time. They are very flexible in regards to positions within the company when doing this which is a good thing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

CARFAX Response

Jun 10, 2015 – VP of People & Culture

Thanks for your feedback. We’re committed to having happy people and our work-life benefits support our philosophy. I’m glad to hear that it’s appreciated and hope that you’re taking advantage of ... More

2. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at CARFAX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team! Smart people who know how to get the job done. Always thinking of how to do it better. Very employee focused. Passionate people about what they do.

Cons

Can have a bigger opinion of what they are bringing to market then they are

Advice to Management

Keep doing things how you are doing them!

Unique interview process paired with an unbeatable atmosphere

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere--the entire company prescribes to the "work hard, play hard" motto. Work life balance is very important. The focus on hiring "no jerks" resonates through the company--people are smart and hard working. No formal dress code means being comfortable at work and able to focus on my job instead of making sure my shirt is tucked in. Their interview process was arduous, but very unique. Aside from a phone screening (after being cold-called by an in-house recruiter), I went through two rounds of interviews that consisted of about 5-6 sessions each. It was long and a little bit draining, but it proved to be invaluable. I met with people from all aspects of the organization that I would be working with and it allowed me to form bonds with them before starting the job. I was able to get to know not only the people I'd be working with daily, but the people who I would cross paths with on a weekly and monthly basis, which was invaluable to get a snapshot of what my work life would really be like. I was extremely skeptical that the atmosphere at CARFAX was a great as everyone I interviewed with claimed--but it really is. I was shocked. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop when I first started my job, but it never did.

Cons

Not everyone recognizes the impact their decisions (or indecision) have on others. This isn't something specific to CARFAX--you find this everywhere in Corporate America.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing--reward the hard working people of the company and recognize talent.

5. Carfax, Inc.

Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CARFAX (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code and company culture

Cons

I don't have any cons

6. Great People

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takes great care of their employees and offers great benefits. Lots of training and support to help with the position. Everyone is very friendly and great yearly events! Lots of chances to make extra money with commission and bonuses.

Cons

The long airplane ride from California to Virginia for training and events but is unavoidable. No payout on unused vacation.

Advice to Management

Nothing great place to work!!!!

Great People, Very Limited Advancement Opportunity

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Carfax has developed a diverse product line that dealers have confidence in. Some outstanding people.

Cons

Management has longevity and seldom changes, most have been around for 10 years or longer. Regardless to your performance, advancement only happens to those that are beer drinking buddy material. Nepotism is an issue, the VP employs many of his family members. Micro management is high as they monitor everything from cars, phones, emails, 'anonymous' surveys, etc. The right employee will succeed at their optimum if they feel trusted, results should say it all. Mangers manage based on watching your every move on a computer screen not on results.

Advice to Management

Employees who give feedback from the field that are contrary to managements opinions are not black hat, they are simply relaying legitimate feedback that has been repeatedly reported and need to be listened to instead of viewing that employee as not a team player. White Hat is giving constructive criticism however it is not viewed as constructive. Field staff are in the trenches taking the hits and need to be heard.

CARFAX makes working fun!!!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Centreville, VA

Pros

CARFAX is a great place to work. They really follow their model of "work hard, play hard". The work/life balance is stressed here and enjoyed. Upper level management has a VERY open door policy here and are always willing to listen. It is nice to come to work in the morning with a smile!

Cons

Can be tough to get transferred to other positions and sometimes management decisions can be slow. Otherwise A+

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

Be your own boss

Current Employee - Account Executive in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company. In the Inside Sales team you have the power to be your own boss. All you have to do is do your job, manage your accounts that you have to work with and sign up new dealers. Great company atmosphere. Management is there for you when you need them. Gym membership subsidy is great and they feed you plenty of good food there. Good salary and comp plan. Can make as much money as you want if you are a go getter and work hard with the territories you have. Would recommend to friends and family!

Cons

Very hard to pick a con for this job. I would say the only con is you could end up with a weaker territory then others for accounts to sign up but you can still push through and hit your numbers if you stay focused on the task and goal at hand.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Enjoy the hands off approach when you are getting the job done and if you are having a rough patch they will work with you to make you better.

Systems Developer

Pros

Great Company to work. Work Environment is awesome

Cons

Nothing I can think of

11. Pros are amazing & Cons are typical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People here are excellent. There are very few difficult people to work with and anyone will help you if you ask nicely. Everyone is so friendly that the work and home life line will start to blur in a good way. Carfax is a work place that pulls off that family feel many strive for. Atmosphere is laid back and work hours are flexible. Some career areas are under paid for their market but others are over paid so depends on your position. Promotion & chances to try different career paths are possible however due to the slow turn over in these areas it can take years to snag one. This can leave ambitious people anxious to advance but if you are settled in your career the 16 paid holidays, flexible work hours, and hefty bonus make up for it. Even for ambitious types, Carfax is a solid resume builder and you'll get a return on your time here.

Cons

All cons are typical of businesses. There is disconnect between the employees and management. Upper management regularly performs motivational speeches that install a belief in our product and business goals but lower management lacks that pride in product leadership. Known critical problems persist for years & years as the wheel of bureaucratic change is slow and veteran staff have been discouraged from trying to tackle these issues. Technical debt keeps racking up while business charges forward implementing newer and shinier consumer products & in house tools. Project iterations are consistantly interrupted by priority changes from above. Some career paths are underpaid resulting in a lost of innovative talent. Standards, procedures, and process are rarely documented or defined and when they are the location of that information is usually unknown to the people who need it.

Advice to Management

Strengthen middle & lower management by training them in their employees field and to lead meetings with an agenda to reduce unproductive time. Perform compensation analyst for technical career fields and adjust salaries accordingly to help keep & aquire talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed