CARQUEST

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015

CARQUEST President David McCartney
David McCartney

Pros
  • Working with Great People, learning the parts business to better Help the customer's (in 7 reviews)

• Good place to work with good people that care (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Arizona Carquest stores are going under especially Tucson due to upper management (in 15 reviews)

• long hours, expected to put work first (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Little guys on the block

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for as a Store Manager I'm able to run my business as i see fit. They give you any tools you my need to take care of customers.

Cons

Long work weeks. I work 60+ hours a week not because they require it but in order to finish tasks alot of hours are needed. Pay is not great for the amount or work required to do this job. Raises do not come offen and are not easy to get. Bonus structure is good but hard to acheive.

Pay your help. The people on the store level make this company money. Feels like they forget this some times. Come up with a better way to take care of the people taking care of you.

I was a Store Manager

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hours, great clientele, generally great coworkers.

Cons

Is now owned by Advance Auto Parts, which was a HUGE step backward.

When consolidating, give the team more that 30 days to acclimate because the Advance side will not be ready to make the transition.

Parts Delivery/ Parts Salesman

Former Employee - Parts Driver/Parts Sales
    Former Employee - Parts Driver/Parts Sales

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This place was great. The work environment was excellent and I was able to learn so much from the others that worked here. I have worked at several other parts stores and nowhere else did the employees have this much knowledge of parts and cars in general.

Cons

The pay was low and did not receive commission for the parts sold.

Start some kind of incentive program for the employees so they will be rewarded for all the hard work they do.

Antiquated systems for todays demands

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Mainly commercial sales, dont have to deal with retail much.

Cons

The Advance/Carquest merger has complicated the brands tok much.

Be careful whom you have running your stores, they're incompetent at best.

I worked here part time while earning my bachelor's degree.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in McKinney, TX

I worked at CARQUEST part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady work environment with reasonable pay and benefits. Company values professional demeanor and has low turnover compared to other retail environments. They offer 401k even for part time employees.

Cons

Associates will not be able to work full time and pathway to advancement is not very clear. I was working while the Dallas area was under transition to Advanced Auto Parts, so company policies were in flux.

Leaving company

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had the ability to work on my own to accomplish projects. Good group of people to work with. Management allowed us to handle the projects as we needed to.

Cons

The company was bought out by Advanced Auto and moved the IT department to Virginia. Merging the 2 companies has become very complicated.

Need to slow down and make better decisions about moving people to Raleigh.

Hard work in warehouse but good employes

I worked at CARQUEST

Pros

Pay and benefits, good co-workers

Cons

Long hours, not good work/life balance

Very busy and challenging position

I have been working at CARQUEST

Pros

I was very busy at General Parts which I definitely desire. I learned more about accounts receivable than I knew. Management was very helpful and easy to talk with. I enjoyed my co-workers as I strongly believe we were all to busy to stand around and gossip and not do our duties. They were always very helpful when there was something that I needed someone else's eyes to help me solve a problem. The hardest part of the job was when I volunteered to take on a project of converting a large auto parts company that we acquired. I worked many hours until it was completed and in order to meet the deadline. I enjoyed the project and it definitely made me feel the ownership, responsibility and accomplishment. I received "employee of the year" award and bonus for that year and I had only been employed for less than 2 years at the point.

Cons

Advance Auto Parts recently acquired CARQUEST, and is now the largest retailer of automotive replacement parts and accessories in North America. Most corporate functions transitioned to the corporate office in Roanoke, Virginia.

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - IT Management in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - IT Management in Northeast, NY

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lucky to have a great supervisor, and it's fun working alongside some real "car guys"

Cons

Growth potential is very limited, especially if you are located outside of their main HQ. (Get with the times, people can successfully work remotely). The company has grown so large with the Advance Auto acquisition that getting things accomplished is difficult. Communication between the two, in many cases is non-existent. Customer service is now an afterthought, which was previously the one thing that set us apart. Many talented people were laid off, with many of their responsibilities not absorbed by others.

Put the focus back on the customer. Not just the service dealers (wholesale customers) but the Independent CarQuest store owners. Morale is at an all time low, with everyone fearing for their jobs, with those who were "lucky" enough to get hired, the terms were undoubtedly accompanied by a significant pay cut. If things don't change soon they'll lose the wholesale business to competitors.

Stress Free Work

Former Employee - Auto Parts Handler in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Auto Parts Handler in Portland, OR

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Consistent hours, stress free, decent pay, benefits. I never had any issues with any of the management or fellow employees. A good solid job.

Cons

The benefits were a little expensive, but you'll find that just about anywhere.

Keep up the good work! I've never had a better job where all I had to do was get up, go to work with decent pay, go home and not stress about the day.