CARQUEST

Updated January 19, 2015
2.9

CARQUEST President David McCartney
David McCartney

Pros
  • Working with Great People, learning the parts business to better Help the customer's (in 7 reviews)

• Good place to work with good people that care (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Arizona Carquest stores are going under especially Tucson due to upper management (in 15 reviews)

• long hours, expected to put work first (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked here part time while earning my bachelor's degree.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in McKinney, TX

I worked at CARQUEST part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work environment with reasonable pay and benefits. Company values professional demeanor and has low turnover compared to other retail environments. They offer 401k even for part time employees.

Cons

Associates will not be able to work full time and pathway to advancement is not very clear. I was working while the Dallas area was under transition to Advanced Auto Parts, so company policies were in flux.

Leaving company

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Had the ability to work on my own to accomplish projects. Good group of people to work with. Management allowed us to handle the projects as we needed to.

Cons

The company was bought out by Advanced Auto and moved the IT department to Virginia. Merging the 2 companies has become very complicated.

Need to slow down and make better decisions about moving people to Raleigh.

Hard work in warehouse but good employes

I worked at CARQUEST

Pros

Pay and benefits, good co-workers

Cons

Long hours, not good work/life balance

Very busy and challenging position

I have been working at CARQUEST

Pros

I was very busy at General Parts which I definitely desire. I learned more about accounts receivable than I knew. Management was very helpful and easy to talk with. I enjoyed my co-workers as I strongly believe we were all to busy to stand around and gossip and not do our duties. They were always very helpful when there was something that I needed someone else's eyes to help me solve a problem. The hardest part of the job was when I volunteered to take on a project of converting a large auto parts company that we acquired. I worked many hours until it was completed and in order to meet the deadline. I enjoyed the project and it definitely made me feel the ownership, responsibility and accomplishment. I received "employee of the year" award and bonus for that year and I had only been employed for less than 2 years at the point.

Cons

Advance Auto Parts recently acquired CARQUEST, and is now the largest retailer of automotive replacement parts and accessories in North America. Most corporate functions transitioned to the corporate office in Roanoke, Virginia.

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - IT Management in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - IT Management in Northeast, NY

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lucky to have a great supervisor, and it's fun working alongside some real "car guys"

Cons

Growth potential is very limited, especially if you are located outside of their main HQ. (Get with the times, people can successfully work remotely). The company has grown so large with the Advance Auto acquisition that getting things accomplished is difficult. Communication between the two, in many cases is non-existent. Customer service is now an afterthought, which was previously the one thing that set us apart. Many talented people were laid off, with many of their responsibilities not absorbed by others.

Put the focus back on the customer. Not just the service dealers (wholesale customers) but the Independent CarQuest store owners. Morale is at an all time low, with everyone fearing for their jobs, with those who were "lucky" enough to get hired, the terms were undoubtedly accompanied by a significant pay cut. If things don't change soon they'll lose the wholesale business to competitors.

Stress Free Work

Former Employee - Auto Parts Handler in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Auto Parts Handler in Portland, OR

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Consistent hours, stress free, decent pay, benefits. I never had any issues with any of the management or fellow employees. A good solid job.

Cons

The benefits were a little expensive, but you'll find that just about anywhere.

Keep up the good work! I've never had a better job where all I had to do was get up, go to work with decent pay, go home and not stress about the day.

Too slow in making decisions.

Former Employee - Development Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at CARQUEST full-time

Pros

Good integrity and ability to travel.

Cons

Be aware that you could get laid off.

Listen to your customers more...

Great environment, atmosphere!

Current Employee - Customer Service Teamate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Teamate

I have been working at CARQUEST full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People care for each other and make the work environment fun! Not your typical politics.

Cons

None, the company is currently going through transition with tremendous growth opportunities.

I enjoyed working there, but I didn't see myself making a career there.

Former Employee - Parts Driver in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Parts Driver in New York, NY

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, quality parts, their delivery fleet was fairly new and they changed out vehicles before they even appeared old

Cons

Pay was low, company felt like it was trailing the other car parts companies instead of leading the way, stores look second rate. They like to rent buildings,and it looks like they don't spend much, while the other companies are building new stores

Embrace new ideas, we sponsor a Nascar car, why aren't our delivery vehicles wrapped like our race car? No jeans? We're delivering car parts to garages, not serving food at a banquet. You have a good company with good people, don't get left behind.

I did enjoy my time with CarQuest which is now parented by Advanced Auto Parts.

Former Employee - Loop Driver (Customer Service Delivery Teammate) in Oxnard, CA

I worked at CARQUEST full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My job was more like a self managed position as I was on the road a lot. They paid reasonable for this job. A high percentage of those that I worked with were great people.

Cons

My biggest grief was working with a few immature beings in management who needed to be removed due to sexually harassing female co workers and character deforming statements toward co workers. There were bigots involved as well. Training sessions need reviewing.

The training helps but like traffic acts good mostly when the law enforcement is around, similarly, some employees have this same trait. Please view the cons section.