CAT Financial

Updated Feb 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kent M. Adams

Cat Financial has provided an amazing experience.

Finance Professional (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsCat has incredible people working for it. It is truly a team environment in which there is constant support and feedback. You are expected to work hard and live the company values, but I view that as a positive thing.

ConsI have nothing negative to say about the company. Do know that you may be asked to move to increase your experience and knowledge of different parts of the company. It is not required, but often encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! The company is thriving, and your employees are clearly happy.

Very easy place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBlue collar attitude, hours are light, friendly environment

Consseems like a high school, hard to advance as a white guy

Advice to Senior ManagementPrevent rumors from spreading around the building

You should treat your employees better!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nash, TN

ProsNothing good to mention about Caterpillar

ConsHours and the way management treats staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

IS Analyst (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI work within the Information Services department at Caterpillar Financial as an IS Analyst. Overall I would say there are some great teams that work within the department and some very talented people. I think it's a great place to get experience working in IT. Plus if you would like a long-term, stable employment with possibilities of "moving up" within the company, (i.e. going in to management) the company would be a good fit.

ConsThere are a lack of higher-level purely technical jobs available. The emphasis for IS employees is on pursuing leadership positions (i.e. team leads, then management eventually). This is fine for a lot of employees but it drives the people most passionate about technology away from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a path for those employees that are passionate about technology and want to make Caterpillar Financial a stronger competitor within the tech space. We have lost some of our most talented, younger technical people because there were no higher level technical positions available. Allow our talented technical people to reach their potential.

Also I don't like the philosophy of "buy first, figure it out later" when the business needs new services from the IS department. We should consider more in-house development where possible (i.e. VMT - a great success). Otherwise we are at the mercy of more and more software vendors, where we end up having to do development work anyway to integrate them with our systems.

Rotation

Rotation (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsAmazing facility, work life balance and slow, easy pace in the office with a lot of "lifers"

ConsIntensely slow career progression. Patience will be the most valuable skill from this company in the first 7 years of your career. Great company for collecting a pay check. Terrible company to use your potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease expose the foundation employees to more of the business - one year is plenty to establish a "foundation" in the traditional roles new hires get placed in. Everyone that has left has truly left from mental stagnation, regardless of what is said at the exit interview - and please use an outside source to conduct the exit interview if truthful answers is what the company values.

An excellent place to learn and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding group of high energy, intelligent individuals with a passion to do the right thing. Excellent opportunity to gain international business exposure.

ConsDepending on your interests, it might be difficult to advance in certain departments. If you enjoy credit analysis then no problem; however, advancing in the more specialized areas of finance requires more networking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that you develop career paths for all areas of the organization.

Slow and steady may not win the race

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

Prospretty stable workplace, good benefits, nice coworkers, nice work environment (nice building), strong support for community groups and charities, some overseas job opportunities for a chosen few

Consvery cautious, risk-averse management, glacial decision-making and some decisions get revisited, senior management all internally promoted from Caterpillar with little or no outside experiences or influence - they do not appear to listen to internal dissenters or people who question the conventional wisdom

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak out and make a decision, listen to outsiders, instead of boring, transactional leadership, develop and execute a vision that inspires employees to do their best

Good people to work with and good foundation to start a career

Analyst (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsSome of the pros are having great managers. Once you have 1 or 2 it can make the world of difference during your career. However, a bad manager can set you back 2 years if you are not the SME in the group.

ConsNot having a great manager can slow down your career movement. Didn't see a lot of opportunity for movement in cross functional departments for non-management.
    While managers seem to rotate and impact various groups there was not vast amount of openings to get into management internally. Didn't see much diversity hiring/promotion in leadership roles within the Business Center even though that was the most diverse department for non management roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a way to create more team lead opportunities and management track positions. Let employees know if they are management potential. Don't give false hope as that can take the motivation out of people. Honesty will always prove to be beneficial in the long run.

Good people to work in general

Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBenefits and time off very good.

ConsJob expansion and contraction within the ranks flow with the manufactoring expansion or contraction.

Summer Internship

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosgood experience, good intern program

Conspulled job offers from interns when the economy fell

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going with the internship program

Worked for CAT Financial? Contribute to the Community!