CAVA

Updated January 8, 2015
Updated January 8, 2015
2.6

Katrina Abston

The right choice if you are burned out on teaching.

Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Working from home
    - Flexible schedule
    - Great training program for new teachers
    - Fantastic co-workers

Cons

- Low(ish) pay, but take that with a grain of salt--there are lots of non-financial benefits to this job
    - SO many systems to learn and work with, and they are ever-changing. However, this is not unique to CAVA. Being in the first decade or so of online education, this is just one of the kinks that hasn't been worked out yet.
    - Extremely high turnover for administration and co-workers. I have never seen turnover like this in any company. There is someone new in the administration or department every 2-3 months.
    - Mandatory in-person PD days, which are inconvenient and terribly inefficient.

This is for the high school--this does not apply to K-8 teaching. CAVA is the perfect job for me at this point in my life. I left teaching to be more present with my family, and working from home allows me to do that and contribute financially. It's important to note that I was never going to return to the classroom--I had burned out completely. While education is a passion for me, classroom teaching is not where I'm effective. However, I'm highly organized, self-motivated, and I work best in a quiet, calm work environment--all of these things are strengths at CAVA.

The pay is better than private school but not comparable to public schools. However, you aren't paying for gas, student school supplies, childcare, classroom supplies, and all the extra expenses that come with classroom teaching. Also, during my work day, I can go to the dentist, have coffee with a friend, take a walk, workout, do laundry, or any other obligation that I would have had to take PTO for at previous jobs (not all in the same day, of course!). This improvement on quality of life not only increases my mood and therefore efficiency, but also is worth quite a bit monetarily to me.

This year the training program was done differently, and new teachers were given 3 weeks of studentless training. It didn't go off without a hitch, but there is a person whose entire job is supporting new teachers. You don't get that in other schools.

As far as workload, I am busy, but this is nowhere near the amount of work I was doing as a classroom teacher. I work for the high school, and previously, I was designing lessons, researching best practices, grading, organizing, and preparing for the school day from 7am to late in the evening. Now, I turn my computer on at 8 (our workday technically doesn't start until 8:30), and I close it at 4pm. I still do a fair amount of grading and organizing, but I block out time for that during the day. I work with a fantastic team who shares the responsibilities for live sessions, so actual "live" teaching takes up about 5-10 hours a week for me (plus more if someone needs extra attention).

Bottom line, this is an office job, not a teaching job. There are many benefits that aren't financial, but may make it worth the pay cut for some. It does for me. Being home with my kids, making dinner every night without stress, and still getting to help educate students--that's what my day looks like. I love working here.

Overworked under paid and not a teaching job

Former Employee - MS Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - MS Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at CAVA full-time

Pros

Working from home and benefits

Cons

No actually teaching, this is a secretarial job with eradict deadlines from the ever changing administration side. This inhibits any teachable moments with students, this students don't succeed. Constantly doing paperwork to meet the State Audit so CAVA receives State Funding.
    This is not a true teaching job. It's a secretarial job, within a virtual school idea. They hire teachers then only give them an over abundance of paperwork for each family, then trainings that are over 4 hours long plus trainings from their sister company K12, and Insperity. All these computer trainings that must be completed, and the in person trainings take away from helping students.
    At first you are hired thinking you will be a virtual teacher. But what they don't tell you is, it's a teacher doing secretarial work from your home within the abstract structure they call a school.

Pay is abt $18/hour to start when you break down the year salary. Too low for the work load and daily stress from ainistration sending emails of "due at COB", which means bump your schedule down because the administration side need their paperwork completed before you move on to your original tasks of the work day.

Hire teachers to teach, not so paperwork and you will see more success. In addition hire secretaries with computer skills rather than relying on the teacher. You are taking valuable time away from students' needs by making teachers do secretarial work. These should be separate departments all together.

Incredibly Low pay

Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at CAVA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gained experience with some new technology.
    Some great families who are trying to do what's best for their kids.
    Some flexibility in hours.
    Good health benefits.

Cons

Pay less than I made in a public school in the 1980s.
    Unrealistic amount of paperwork -- position more secretarial than teaching.
    Families who have no business homeschooling enrolled including illiterate parents!
    Constant technology crashes.
    Repeated contradictory emails, constantly changing "urgent" deadlines.
    School most concerned with enrolling amyone to get state funding!
    Workload that consistently requires far more than 40 hours weekly to complete.
    Raises based on favoritism.

Raise salaries. Lower class size. Establish consistent policies. Show willingness to unenroll families who aren't working.

Best job for quality of life I have ever had!

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CAVA offers great flexibility and a wonderful work environment. All employees are highly educated and wonderful to work with. Administration is very accessible and supportive and you can actually move up in the organization without having to get an additional credential. Bonus, you get to work in your pjs!

Cons

Low pay, extremely heavy workload at times.

Pay hard working teachers a fair wage. I work 60 hours a week and have to go to a food bank to eat, as once I've paid my utilities and rent I have no money to live. Reduce administrative and clerical work so we are able to fully support students.

Never-ending deadlines with ever-changing work requirements

Current Employee - Overworked and Underpaid Special Education Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home is definitely a plus-you're able to have some flexibility in your daily work schedule

Cons

While I do have flexibility with my work schedule, the work load can be overwhelming. Special education teachers are inundated with never-ending IEP meetings. I find myself working well into the evening and on weekends.

While I've had pleasant experiences with some of my fellow teachers, many are just extremely rude, and seem as if they are not used to dealing with people from varying backgrounds and cultures.

My first year was the worst! I definitely had days when I broke out into tears. The new teacher training did nothing to help me when I was thrown into the lion's den of aggressive parents.

Deadlines and work requirements change with the wind. Daily tasks cannot be prioritized when every task becomes a priority. It's common to receive emails on Wednesdays that explain a task has to be completed by Friday.

Some administrators and direct supervisors show favoritism. It's sickening to sit in all staff trainings and have to listen to the same employees week after week be praised for their work when EVERYONE works hard.

The pay is insulting and deplorable. I'm sure I make less a month and yearly than people who graduated from high school only.

Less paperwork, clearly define our job descriptions, and give us salaries that are competitive with teachers who work in brick and mortar settings. We may work from home, but we definitely do more work than teachers in classrooms. How many teachers do you have to lose before you realize there needs to be a change??? The teacher turnover rate alone should be a wake up call!

Great if you have little ones to raise.

Current Employee - 6-8 Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - 6-8 Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The flexibility
    Can still be a "Mom"

Cons

We don't get compensated nearly enough for the amount of time put in.

keep telling us how well we do and how you appreciate our hard work. It goes along way.

Teacher Position is secretarial work with low pay

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like that CAVA is big on professional development. The coworkers are amazing and always willing to help out. Being able to work from home is a huge plus.

Cons

As a first year teacher with CAVA, I don't think that the process for teaching new teachers is really mastered. This is not teaching, so much as it is policing students to ensure that they are completing their online work. There are a few days of initial training, and then new teachers are sent off on their own. I was not prepared for the amount of confrontations that would arise. Teachers are dealing more with the parents than the students.
    Compensation is very low and not at all comparable to traditional schools. I could make a minimum of $20k more at any other school in the district.

Make pay competitive.

I was hired to teach high school through CAVA, and it has been an okay experience, but the salary is deplorable.

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Because you work at home, your schedule is somewhat flexible. You are working independently much of the time, although it feels much more like an office job than a teaching job. This could be a 'pro' for some.

Cons

Working at home is great for a lot of people, but isn't working very well for me. The flexible schedule translates into working around the clock and feeling like I never get to leave work. These are things that can be worked around, of course, but it would be easier to justify these difficulties if the salary matched what normal teachers make. However, the salary is very low for the hours that we are asked to work, and we don't make the entire annual salary that's listed. You get about $2800/month, and only for the months that school is in session (so not the summer).

Be clear about which metrics are actually important to you. Pay commensurate with what teachers make elsewhere.

More like a secretarial position

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at CAVA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home
    Some nice and dedicated families
    Good health benefits

Cons

Horrible pay
    90% paperwork, unrealistic deadlines
    Raises based on favoritism

Pay teachers like professionals!

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Teacher in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home
    somewhat flexible schedule
    nice coworkers
    Meet some nice families that are really trying to do what is best for their kids

Cons

-Way more work than teaching in a brick and mortar classroom
    -very low pay (only paid 10 1/2 months out of the year)
    -if parents ask to see you every week to work one one-on-one with their student - you have to go(even though you have 35 students that may be up to an 1 1/2 hour drive from you), -to-do list is never ending and teachers are expected to get work done even if it means working more than 8 hours a day or on the weekends
    -all work has to be done at the last minute because you will get numerous emails changing what and how they want something done
    -procedures seem to change on a weekly basis
    -ALL staff is so overworked and overwhelmed that paperwork is consistently sent out with errors and resent multiple times
    -crazy demands are considered acceptable (I was told by numerous teachers, including my trainer, that I would cry a lot my first year and want to quit)
    -low teacher satisfaction
    -high turnover rate for teachers and students
    -do the work of 2 people and make 1/2 the pay of a brick and mortar teacher
    -K12 and CAVA are 2 different entities that do not communicate well with each other - parents register with K12 and they are just the curriculum company and will enroll anyone and tell them anything they want to hear in order to sell their product but when the family gets turned over to CAVA they find that the have been given lots of misinformation
    -management doesn't care if you feel overwhelmed or overworked - they are so used to teachers quitting that they just hire someone else and move one

-Pay more
    -Be consistent
    -Many of your teachers are highly qualified and highly educated - treat them like it
    -Offer pay that is competitive with local districts
    -Support the teacher when parent requests are ridiculous
    -Be honest with teachers and parents
    -care when teachers are so overwhelmed that they feel the only solution is to quit
    -pay more