CAVA Reviews

Reset
2.4
Katrina Abston

1. CAVA

I have been working at CAVA full-time

Pros

Collaborative and supportive staff and supervisors who genuinely care about giving students an option for their education, and making it the best experience possible.

Cons

Hectic pack and constantly competing and overlapping deadlines.

2. Decent company.

Former Employee - Teacher in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

I worked at CAVA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Work from home. Caring employees

Cons

Low pay. Too much change.

Advice to Management

pay more.

3. CAVA - Just Don't

Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CAVA

Pros

Only two things come to mind: 1. No classroom management issues to contend with. 2. Working from home, although you'd better like being at home because you won't have time to get out much!

Cons

The work load was impossible to accomplish in a 60 hour work week. I was barely able to keep up working 80 hours a week, but I will attribute 20 hours to being new in such a different environment. Teaching was the absolute lowest priority - as determined by the school's management team. The real role of a CAVA teacher is: office clerk, attendance clerk, truant officer, records clerk, K12 salesman, in short almost anything other than teaching. The pay is far, far below even the lowest paying districts in the state. Administrators will change grades to please parents, creating even more work for beleaguered teachers!

Advice to Management

Stop fighting the unionization effort and work with them to create not only a better working environment but a school where actual education is happening.

Not a teaching job

Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at CAVA

Pros

flexible schedule, three more words

Cons

constant compliance monitoring, spend 90% of your time tracking down work samples and attendance and only 10% of your time teaching. admin doesn't seem to care what the teachers think or feel. you are just a cog in the giant SBAC machine. Very unprofessional and not a pleasant or uplifting place to work.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers with due respect. Give them more teaching and less administrative duties to do. Reward all the teachers, not just the popular ones. Make people feel like you are worth something to the company instead of just another teacher slogging along. And if you are going to let someone go, at least have the human decency to let them know.

Too much admin work.

Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CAVA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be flexible. Can work from home. Meet interesting families.

Cons

Too much work for what they pay you. They don't appreciate their employees.

Advice to Management

Too rigid. Stop threatening teachers to get things done or else you will be written up. If you appreciate your staff they will work hard for you.

Diploma Mill - Profit Driven Education

I worked at CAVA

Pros

You can work from home and the expectations are so low with regards to actually nurturing your students' development that one could phone it in pretty easily - if one was to desire that kind of pointless existence.

Cons

- Strong push for teachers to pass kids blindly, - Swimming in pointless bureaucracy, - End goal is student enrollment and "customer" satisfaction, and - My observational experience is that most of the kids are heavily absorbed in online gaming and this school exists to give them a cover for their gaming pursuits. But other than that, the software seems to be clunky and the supervisors are frightened to death that they will be fired at a moment's notice if enrollment dips.

A place where credentialed teachers spend all day performing clerical duties.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at CAVA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some people need to work from home because they are caregivers for adults, children, and/ or animals, or they may live in remote areas.

Cons

CAVA takes in about $100 million annually from the taxpayers of the state of California, and sends about half of that to parent company k-12 Incorporated, a publicly-traded, for-profit corporation based in Virginia. The obligation to generate dividends means that shareholders are seen as more important than students. Rather than hire professional classified staff as is found in a typical school's front office, CAVA saddles its certificated instructors with clerical duties. This prevents teachers from teaching and prevents students from learning. Learn more by reading the February 2015 report published by In The Public Interest.

Advice to Management

Drop the management services provided by k-12 Incorporated. Honor the Spring 2014 democratic majority vote of CAVA teachers to join CTA and create a teacher's union at our school. Put an end to the legal delays and stop retaining the services of Jackson-Lewis, LLP in your battle against CAVA teachers. Hire qualified administrators. Stop mistreating employees with abusive evaluations and wrongful terminations.

The right choice if you are burned out on teaching.

Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CAVA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home - Flexible schedule - Great training program for new teachers - Fantastic co-workers

Cons

- Low(ish) pay, but take that with a grain of salt--there are lots of non-financial benefits to this job - SO many systems to learn and work with, and they are ever-changing. However, this is not unique to CAVA. Being in the first decade or so of online education, this is just one of the kinks that hasn't been worked out yet. - Extremely high turnover for administration and co-workers. I have never seen turnover like this in any company. There is someone new in the administration or department every 2-3 months. - Mandatory in-person PD days, which are inconvenient and terribly inefficient.

Advice to Management

This is for the high school--this does not apply to K-8 teaching. CAVA is the perfect job for me at this point in my life. I left teaching to be more present with my family, and working from home allows me to do that and contribute financially. It's important to note that I was never going to return to the classroom--I had burned out completely. While education is a passion for me, classroom teaching is not where I'm effective. However, I'm highly organized, self-motivated, and I work best in a quiet, calm work environment--all of these things are strengths at CAVA. The pay is better than private school but not comparable to public schools. However, you aren't paying for gas, student school supplies, childcare, classroom supplies, and all the extra expenses that come with classroom teaching. Also, during my work day, I can go to the dentist, have coffee with a friend, take a walk, workout, do laundry, or any other obligation that I would have had to take PTO for at previous jobs (not all in the same day, of course!). This improvement on quality of life not only increases my mood and therefore efficiency, but also is worth quite a bit monetarily to me. This year the training program was done differently, and new teachers were given 3 weeks of studentless training. It didn't go off without a hitch, but there is a person whose entire job is supporting new teachers. You don't get that in other schools. As far as workload, I am busy, but this is nowhere near the amount of work I was doing as a classroom teacher. I work for the high school, and previously, I was designing lessons, researching best practices, grading, organizing, and preparing for the school day from 7am to late in the evening. Now, I turn my computer on at 8 (our workday technically doesn't start until 8:30), and I close it at 4pm. I still do a fair amount of grading and organizing, but I block out time for that during the day. I work with a fantastic team who shares the responsibilities for live sessions, so actual "live" teaching takes up about 5-10 hours a week for me (plus more if someone needs extra attention). Bottom line, this is an office job, not a teaching job. There are many benefits that aren't financial, but may make it worth the pay cut for some. It does for me. Being home with my kids, making dinner every night without stress, and still getting to help educate students--that's what my day looks like. I love working here.

Overworked under paid and not a teaching job

Former Employee - MS Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - MS Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at CAVA full-time

Pros

Working from home and benefits

Cons

No actually teaching, this is a secretarial job with eradict deadlines from the ever changing administration side. This inhibits any teachable moments with students, this students don't succeed. Constantly doing paperwork to meet the State Audit so CAVA receives State Funding. This is not a true teaching job. It's a secretarial job, within a virtual school idea. They hire teachers then only give them an over abundance of paperwork for each family, then trainings that are over 4 hours long plus trainings from their sister company K12, and Insperity. All these computer trainings that must be completed, and the in person trainings take away from helping students. At first you are hired thinking you will be a virtual teacher. But what they don't tell you is, it's a teacher doing secretarial work from your home within the abstract structure they call a school. Pay is abt $18/hour to start when you break down the year salary. Too low for the work load and daily stress from ainistration sending emails of "due at COB", which means bump your schedule down because the administration side need their paperwork completed before you move on to your original tasks of the work day.

Advice to Management

Hire teachers to teach, not so paperwork and you will see more success. In addition hire secretaries with computer skills rather than relying on the teacher. You are taking valuable time away from students' needs by making teachers do secretarial work. These should be separate departments all together.

Incredibly Low pay

Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Virtual Teacher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at CAVA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained experience with some new technology. Some great families who are trying to do what's best for their kids. Some flexibility in hours. Good health benefits.

Cons

Pay less than I made in a public school in the 1980s. Unrealistic amount of paperwork -- position more secretarial than teaching. Families who have no business homeschooling enrolled including illiterate parents! Constant technology crashes. Repeated contradictory emails, constantly changing "urgent" deadlines. School most concerned with enrolling amyone to get state funding! Workload that consistently requires far more than 40 hours weekly to complete. Raises based on favoritism.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries. Lower class size. Establish consistent policies. Show willingness to unenroll families who aren't working.

RSS Feed </> Embed