CB&I

Updated January 27, 2015
3.1

CB&I President and CEO Philip K. Asherman
Philip K. Asherman

Pros
  • have a great pay scale and good benefits package, RRSP Dental Extended Medical all really great (in 14 reviews)

• Open culture, Challenging environment, Work life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management typically makes decisions without realizing the full impact of the people doing the work (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management can treat you like you don't exist or matter (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to grow

Current Employee - Project Controls in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Project Controls in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CB&I full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work on a complex project and learn many facets of the project life cycle. They also arent afraid to pay top talent top dollar

Cons

The project is very slow moving. This can be a positive if you want stability, but if you are trying to get experience in all stages of a project life cycle you're out of luck.

Work Environment

I worked at CB&I

Pros

CB&! promises that you'll be able to move up the ladder and I have able to do so. They also offer training that lets you learn form some of the best in the industry.

Cons

This company is plagued with political problems. This slows down progress on projects and leads to a loss of profits.

Good, steady work and good people

Current Employee - Engineer II in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at CB&I

Pros

The company has a good projected future, lots of future work.

Cons

Location of future work, you may have to move

Good

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at CB&I

Pros

Nice people, opportunity to learn from experienced professionals.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Company didn't really invest in employees development. Any development you got was coincidental and not intentional.

Increased development and career planning - especially for more junior staff

Great environment and very professional!

Former Employee - Global Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Global Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CB&I full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The team Chemistry was the best! My boss picked the best employees and we worked hard to make sure we were successful! The pay and benefits were very good as well.

Cons

It did not appear there was much room for growth within the organization unless you were at HQ. Sometimes HQ support was non-communicative and unhelpful.

Make sure the team know everything going on from every location. Communication is key for running a successful business.

My experience with this company was nothing but the best.

I worked at CB&I

Pros

This company offers good benefits and they also look out for you with other jobs.

Cons

I didn't see many disadvantages with the company.

Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at CB&I

Pros

Great benefits, management, and company atmosphere. Dedicated to doing the job well and safely

Cons

Larger projects can seem disorganized and the safety rules could fill a library

Process Engineer

I have been working at CB&I

Pros

Good pay and manufacturing experience..

Cons

Unprofessional, unethical and don't care for people.

Take more training.

A Gaping Black Hole

I have been working at CB&I full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits, alternate work week schedule (every other Friday off).

Cons

Where to begin... Raises are rare, but when they happen, they are insultingly low. And worse, there is no severance. There is very little potential for personal development and absolutely no potential for career advancement. Responsibility is greatest at lowest grades, lessening as grade levels increase. Yet lowest grades have no authority; creating a clearly divided corporate culture of either aristocratic hubris or fatalism. Executive staff and their sycophants are condescending, patronizing, and mendacious, and favoritism is so obvious it is expected.

Take your golden parachutes and golf clubs and ride off into the sunset. Your plan as soul-killers is wildly successful.

Scientific Technician

I worked at CB&I (less than a year)

Pros

I have absolutely nothing positive to say about the company.

Cons

I was hired on as a Scientific Technician and during the hiring process I had told them I would need time off or could start after a contain date due to future plans I had already committed to. They had told me that was fine and it was added into the acceptance letter for my initial hiring paperwork. Three weeks go by and heard nothing from the company. I called 4 or 5 times leaving messages for anyone to call me back, I wrote emails with no response, I went as high as calling the corporate office which is overseas just to get in contact with someone about when I was starting my job and where I need to report.

Finally, I had just seen somebody driving a CB&I vehicle and I was able to flag them down and get a phone number for the local office manager. When I spoke with him, he had no idea that I was even hired. I told him I had already done two over the phone interviews and an in person interview and he told me he should have been in the interview process. He then told me he will be in contact with me later that day with more information. After three days pass, he finally calls me back and told me I have to report to a 40 hour hazmat class on the week I had already told the company I was not able to work. He then told me if I do not attend this class, I would not be able to work for the company. I had told him it was written in my acceptance letter but he told me that that was not cleared through him so it is not official.
    I was forced into a new acceptance letter with new terms and was not granted the time off which was already discussed and agreed to. This causing my family and I to lose out on a $1200 vacation with no refunds.

THE WORST part of this horrible experience is after I completed this hazmat class; when the following week comes along and I reported to the office to start work, I was then told my service is no longer needed and I am no longer employed with CB&I.

HANDS DOWN THE MOST UNPROFFESIONAL COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR.

This company badly needs to work on communication and professionalism. I WISH THE COMPANY GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE. YOU WILL NEED IT.

CB&I Photos