CB&I Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
210 reviews filtered by

Scientific Technician

I worked at CB&I (less than a year)

Pros

I have absolutely nothing positive to say about the company.

Cons

I was hired on as a Scientific Technician and during the hiring process I had told them I would need time off or could start after a contain date due to future plans I had already committed to. They had told me that was fine and it was added into the acceptance letter for my initial hiring paperwork. Three weeks go by and heard nothing from the company. I called 4 or 5 times leaving messages for anyone to call me back, I wrote emails with no response, I went as high as calling the corporate office which is overseas just to get in contact with someone about when I was starting my job and where I need to report.

Finally, I had just seen somebody driving a CB&I vehicle and I was able to flag them down and get a phone number for the local office manager. When I spoke with him, he had no idea that I was even hired. I told him I had already done two over the phone interviews and an in person interview and he told me he should have been in the interview process. He then told me he will be in contact with me later that day with more information. After three days pass, he finally calls me back and told me I have to report to a 40 hour hazmat class on the week I had already told the company I was not able to work. He then told me if I do not attend this class, I would not be able to work for the company. I had told him it was written in my acceptance letter but he told me that that was not cleared through him so it is not official.
    I was forced into a new acceptance letter with new terms and was not granted the time off which was already discussed and agreed to. This causing my family and I to lose out on a $1200 vacation with no refunds.

THE WORST part of this horrible experience is after I completed this hazmat class; when the following week comes along and I reported to the office to start work, I was then told my service is no longer needed and I am no longer employed with CB&I.

HANDS DOWN THE MOST UNPROFFESIONAL COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR.

This company badly needs to work on communication and professionalism. I WISH THE COMPANY GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE. YOU WILL NEED IT.

2. Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at CB&I as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Worked in teams on a real project tat the company needed to be done.

Cons

It was not easy to access as you needed a car to get there.

3. wonderful company to work for

I have been working at CB&I full-time

Pros

ability to change jobs within company, training, young professional development

Cons

salary but the benefits make up for it

none

5. Great project lead. Poor middle managers/ work controllers

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CB&I full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Project manager had a great relationship with every day tradesmen. Work atmosphere was non confrontational. Company BBQ frequently. No hard time about time off.

Cons

Safety was not only a hindrance it was ridiculous in that they required the employee to color code power tools and ladders and fill out 5x5 safety cards that solved nothing and frustrated everyone. The wheels of progress are chalked by safety.

Great company to work for. Performance reviews for office managers.

6. Good Energy Infrastructure Company

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at CB&I full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for different energy projects. Working through a life cycle of a project keeps the work different and interesting. There are opportunities to go to project sites both domestic and internationally. Good benefits.

Cons

The pay isn't as competitive as it should be. Bonuses are few and far between even for those that truly deserve them. Annual raises can be a real slap in the face, driving many people to shop around for better pay. Not enough holidays and vacation time is limited, especially for a company based in Europe.

A few more floating holidays.
    Better raises.
    Reward your hard working employees.
    Get one building in the Houston areas. Multiple buildings is a pain.

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at CB&I

Pros

False Promises of great benefits...
    False Promises of good pay...

Cons

This company Human Resources department is probably the WORST that I would have to deal with in my whole life. CB&I gave contracts to employees without telling them that the contract can be invalid any given time. I accepted employment with this company and after I relocated with my family for the job and before I started HR called to say that I did not have a job. On top of that, they did NOT TRY ANYTHING to accommodate me with another position like I DO NOT MATTER. After countless phone calls of me begging them to do something because I turned down other opportunities before my relocation, they decided to re-interview me for another position which I waited over 3 months for final results with them dragging me along every time I called. I would have taken other jobs but the fact that HR was positive that things would be straight the following week gave me hope. I guess I was foolish to believe that anything good for me was coming from that company. I lost everything financially. I resorted to selling furniture to get by in the hope that once relocated again I could purchase new ones. Even after relaying that to HR and requesting to be put in a work position, they kept on stringing me along. 3.5 months, loss of more than $25,000 of salary that CB&I claimed not to be responsible for, two lives change for ever.
    The people in Charlotte lives on a separate galaxy with no connection to anybody within the company or on Earth for that matter.
    CB&I does NOT DESERVE ONE SINGLE STAR from this review. Complete disconnection between the branches on the company and within the offices as well.

Learn how to interact with people! Learn that when someone is hired it is NOT ONLY THEM, it impacts their WHOLE FAMILY.
    This company does NOT KNOW HOW TO TREAT ITS PEOPLE...

Poor treatment of good people

Former Employee - Records Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Records Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CB&I full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money was good, benefits were good, a lot of good people with great knowledge of the industry, office in charlotte is centrally located.

Cons

No on the job training, you're just thrown in and expected to know the job and be great at it. Treats loyal and dedicated employees very poorly. Doesn't try to correct obvious problems within the offices or construction sites. Employees are retaliated against for raising concerns.

Start practicing and implementing what is preached. Less talk and more action to do what is right.

9. Decent experience working with a team of dedicated folks

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CB&I full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A good place to work for if you are looking for a stable employment. They are not risk takers

Cons

Company is rooted in the past and does not invest in new technology. Even the work hours are odd

Please invest in new technology and allow employees to dabble in it.

10. Good company to my knowledge. Treated well, benefits seem to be fair and reasonable.

Former Employee - QA/QC Manager in Glen Rose, TX
    Former Employee - QA/QC Manager in Glen Rose, TX

I worked at CB&I full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the largest backlogs for EPC of nuclear construction under contract. Also, large operating plant maintenance service contracts.

Cons

Have not adjusted their construction environment to be adaptable to operating plant and clients safety programs.

Many of the operating plants staff are reporting to plant site directors and seldom have interface or communication with their department heads that are based in Charlotte office (QA/QC at operating plants).

Too soon to tell

Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CB&I full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The hours make having a work life balance very possible. There are some within the company who really care about you as an individual and it can be a pretty laid back place to work.

Cons

The company had recently been aquired and there were a lot of changes getting ready to take place. From my understanding they were not all good.

Read your core values and actually follow them. Practice what you preach.

CB&I Photos