CBIZ MHM Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
30 reviews filtered by
3.2
Steven L. Gerard

1. Great experience overall.

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at CBIZ MHM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to enter out of college to get public accounting experience. Colleagues really care about your career and will do anything to help you succeed. Working there for 2 years, you will get more experience than a 2 year at a big 4 firm since you will hit more areas of the balance sheet / income statement.

Cons

Sometimes I didn't agree with the way clients were brought on. Some of them were not nice to the auditors / tax people and would snap at them. But the partner would still keep them as a client, which I think hurt morale.

Advice to Management

Rate clients from a 5 to a 1 scale and get rid of the 1's, no matter what the fee is. It'll help employee morale and probably cut down on employee turnover.

The NY office of CBIZ MHM is a great place to work ...

I worked at CBIZ MHM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nationally, CBIZ MHM is a top ten accounting provider in the US. Although part of a larger national firm, the NY office continues to maintain its friendly midsize firm atmosphere. With a diverse high-profile client base, CBIZ MHM is a great place to learn and grow. Most of the Staff are highly motivated, care about their clients and work quality, and are passionate about growing their careers and making this a great place to work. Also, most of the Managers & MDs are passionate about providing excellent client service, growing the business and helping/coaching staff for enhanced performance and career growth.

Cons

A few staff/mgmt have negative attitudes, are quick to complain and blame others, and do not try to make things better. Thankfully, there are only a few of these folks left, but they do impact morale at times.

Advice to Management

Don't sweat the small stuff - keep a positive attitude and image for both our clients and staff/managers alike - remain passionate about client service and growing the business. Be a positive role model and coach/mentor to staff and junior managers so they can continue to learn, grow and contribute to the firm's success - they are the backbone of our business today, and tomorrow's leaders.

Great people

I have been working at CBIZ MHM full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with variety of clients and work groups within the office. The people are fantastic, the company does a great job recruiting talented individuals; especially from local campuses. They bring in meals during busy season and plan events like happy hours and bowling, and they took us to Disneyland last year.

Cons

There is opportunity for career advancement and personal growth here, however more frequent feedback from local management would be nice. Also, I would like to hear more communications from the coroporate level.

Advice to Management

More communications

5. Good company

I have been working at CBIZ MHM

Pros

Great co-workers and environment and benefits

Cons

Excessive hours expected by manager

6. National Firm with Small Firm Appeal

Former Employee - Senior Auditor
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor

I worked at CBIZ MHM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are reasonable. Access to national training.

Cons

Bottom-line focused, sometimes to the detriment of the employees.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they are valued.

7. working at CBIZ was challenging and rewarding at the same

I worked at CBIZ MHM

Pros

working late nights dinner vouchers car services were available.

Cons

benefits were not the best packages

Poor firm with an operational structure that does not foster growth; avoid if you can.

I have been working at CBIZ MHM full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours during non-peak seasons, partners have an open door policy, competitive salaries with midsize firms (although it wants to be considered a bigger player in the industry).

Cons

By far the major factor that turns current employees and former employees sour is the office culture. Many people operate in a clique. If you are included in that clique, you receive preference on engagements, receive vanilla positive evaluations, and are allowed to participate in the planning of all firm functions. If you are not part of the clique? You will be subjected to non-responsive cold stares to jovial greetings and will face a much harder path to management.

The management level is lacking in quality talent. Most of the managers are not technically sound enough to provide clients with the services MHM offers.

The staff level is grossly understaffed.

By having a strategic alliance with CBIZ and by obtaining growth through acquisitions, the shareholders of MHM, the attest practice, have hardly any incentive to grow the business. This has led to partners that are either incapable of selling firm services and/or lacking the desire to do so.

The firm is not committed to being a leader in technology. I believe this will leave the firm behind the rest of the competition in the long run.

I will be leaving the firm after busy season. If you are considering this firm, I would suggest reading the other recent reviews of this company.

Advice to Management

Clean up your staff room and facilitate an environment where everyone is welcome.
    Replace partners who received pay days by selling their business to CBIZ with younger and hungrier replacements.
    Be committed to technologies that will allow for efficiency and greater synergy.

CBIZ

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CBIZ MHM

Pros

Independent work schedule
    Great break room

Cons

Male dominant office
    very little training

Extremely unstable firm.

I have been working at CBIZ MHM

Pros

No pros. No room for growth. Extremely disorganized firm. Compensation is not commesurate with experience. Raises and bonuses are minimal, if at all.

Cons

Job description is not actual responsibilities. No organization. Company is not financially stable.

Great culture and place to work.

Current Employee - Audit Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CBIZ MHM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture, no crazy hours. The pay is competitive too. The people here really care about you and the location is great as well. It's a family sized feel with nation wide resources. Glad I got started at this firm.

Cons

Didn't get a bonus my first year and it seems like the second year bonus is near impossible to get as well.