CBIZ

Updated February 17, 2015
3.1

CBIZ Chairman and CEO Steven L. Gerard
Steven L. Gerard

Pros
  • The work-life balance is very good because there aren't a large number of deadlines (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance varied with the inconsistent hours (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training or follow through on anything from management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place and great culture! - especially in NYC!

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at CBIZ full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I get to work with the smartest professionals, both locally and nationally. The exemplifies teamwork, professionalism and an entrepreneur spirit. The firm also offers outstanding national training and resources.

Cons

All I can think of is implementing a national staffing program to further streamline staffing needs.

Keep up the momentum and great work! I am so proud to be part of this amazing organization and culture.

Pretty good company

Current Intern - Accounting Department in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Accounting Department in New York, NY

I have been working at CBIZ as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, learned a lot

Cons

Felt like I was in a box some times, was not creative

More individualized projects

Worked at this company for 2 years

Former Employee - Junior Broker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Junior Broker in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBIZ

Pros

It was a really good environment to work in. All of the people were really friendly and cooperated well. I would recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

The office was not organized at times and it would be difficult to find certain paperwork. Would ask questions and never get a definite response

Get your stuff together and train the employees better

Poor firm with an operational structure that does not foster growth; avoid if you can.

I have been working at CBIZ full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours during non-peak seasons, partners have an open door policy, competitive salaries with midsize firms (although it wants to be considered a bigger player in the industry).

Cons

By far the major factor that turns current employees and former employees sour is the office culture. Many people operate in a clique. If you are included in that clique, you receive preference on engagements, receive vanilla positive evaluations, and are allowed to participate in the planning of all firm functions. If you are not part of the clique? You will be subjected to non-responsive cold stares to jovial greetings and will face a much harder path to management.

The management level is lacking in quality talent. Most of the managers are not technically sound enough to provide clients with the services MHM offers.

The staff level is grossly understaffed.

By having a strategic alliance with CBIZ and by obtaining growth through acquisitions, the shareholders of MHM, the attest practice, have hardly any incentive to grow the business. This has led to partners that are either incapable of selling firm services and/or lacking the desire to do so.

The firm is not committed to being a leader in technology. I believe this will leave the firm behind the rest of the competition in the long run.

I will be leaving the firm after busy season. If you are considering this firm, I would suggest reading the other recent reviews of this company.

Clean up your staff room and facilitate an environment where everyone is welcome.
    Replace partners who received pay days by selling their business to CBIZ with younger and hungrier replacements.
    Be committed to technologies that will allow for efficiency and greater synergy.

Good for public accounting firm

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CBIZ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and get along.

Cons

Poor work/life balance and overly obsessed with keeping billable hours down.

Has fallen prey to impersonal corporate agenda

Current Employee - Manager in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Leawood, KS

I have been working at CBIZ

Pros

Some very talented and wonderful people work for this company.

Cons

Have suffered from multiple changes in company direction and missed communication opportunities with internal staff. Has lost its personal feel and become more of a cold corporate environment

Be more forthcoming with vision for company and implement a strategic communication chain from the bottom up.

What an Opportunity!

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at CBIZ full-time

Pros

The office vibe is great. You get a nice small office feel, with the nation-wide resources of a big company. All of the associates look to help each other and make the work experience that much better for everybody. Great work/life balance. Very flexible with schedules as long as you get quality work done. I've had great development training with managers and overall couldn't be happier with where I am beginning my career

Cons

There is some inconsistent top-to-bottom communication from the senior managers down to the associates, this has led to some stressful situations because we appeared to be pretty unorganized at times.

We just need to develop a better system of communication, and better planning for the busier times of the year. Both of which I have already started to see improvement.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE UNLESS YOU BACK STAB

I worked at CBIZ

Pros

Pay is good but that is about all I can say.

Cons

Drama, drama, drama, team leaders are the absolute worst. All they do is spend their time figuring ways to call out employees to get in good graces with management. You cannot win with this place because H.R is ALWAYS on the upper management side. In the end you will either quit from unhappiness or get fired. All they do is pin point your mistakes and what you can do better when they can't even do it themselves. Miserable the entire time I was there, couldn't wait to get out of there and I did!!!! They have their favorites actually there are approximately 4 employees in the department I was in that got credit for everything at every meeting. Nothing anyone else did was ever acknowledged. It was like it didn't matter what happened they did no wrong. I did discover the only way to get ahead is to back stab coworkers and I for one will not do that. . Never seen such horrible management and team environment as that place. Team leaders and managers and Human Resources are supposed to work with employees to make a great environment to work at but instead all they did was mircro manage and back stab. You will be sorry if you accept a position with them.

Stop BACK STABBING! Instead focus on trying to get everyone to work together instead of creating such a bad environment.

Review

I worked at CBIZ full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great interaction with management, good working environment

Cons

Work/life balance varied with the inconsistent hours

CBIZ has a great wor/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CBIZ full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work/ Life Balance. great benefits and training programs. Tuition asssistance

Cons

full transparency. Pay needs ot be a little more competitive

CBIZ Photos

CBIZ Women's Advantage celebrates the uniqueness of the woman business professional!
office