CBIZ

CBIZ Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

CBIZ Chairman and CEO Steven L. Gerard

Steven L. Gerard

All things considered it was a good experience that forced me to stretch outside my comfort zone.

I have been working at CBIZ full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible schedule when needed; great people; great clients; plenty of PTO.

ConsLack of appreciation; long hours & weekends; no such thing as a day off; stress & pressure. Work life balance is not possible.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at CBIZ full-time for more than a year

Pros-Amazing culture
-Tremendous leadership (entire exec team is friendly and approachable)
-Great pay and benefits
-Lots of room for growth and promotions
-Tons of recognition given to high performers

Cons-Castlight could do a better job of engaging remote employees
-Could spend more time/effort during onboarding process

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing to sustain the culture and values that are the foundation of this company.

Great Place, Great People... NOT!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CBIZ full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers at the mid to lower levels.

ConsLeadership does not care about the people. This organization is a chaotic mess with serious lack of leadership. Heavy politics and each office has their own set of rules. No consistency.

Benefits are not competitive with the market trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with the dignity and respect they deserve. Bullying people to work long hours, fear for their job, top executives insulting employees to their face in front of peers and back stabbing one another is not a productive or healthy environment.

Depends highly on which office location you are in, and its been a hard few years

Account Manager In Benefits (Current Employee)

I have been working at CBIZ full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy own Business Unit President is still in charge and does a great job, employees here care about each other and work well together, flexibility in work/life balance and reasonably free to take care of clients as we see fit, national resources from other offices/departments are very helpful most of the time - especially in regard to legal/Health Care Reform

ConsOver the past few years (2010-2012) there have been layoffs, wage freezes, other business units that shut down, lack of leadership and higher management making good business decisions, turnover, more work for little reward or secrity, the pay is sub-par for our market, removal of helpful local employees (moving specialties to national hubs and taking out of local market) and there is a lot of outdated technology/inefficient practices, little job growth opportunity due to downsized team

Advice to Senior ManagementReally truly listen to what your good employees are saying- give good local managers more authority and support both revenue goals and morale/client boosting goals - invest in what works here- having several specialities under one roof- and make those managers accountable to create a good working and producing environment, not just slashing and rewarding top Execs with insincere promises, reward the good employees more and get rid of ineffective, negative people

A Company With a Bleak Future and Lack of Proper Direction

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CBIZ full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFrom an accountant’s perspective, you end up with much more hands on experience and responsibility than someone of a similar level in a larger accounting firm and the hours are much less than a larger firm

ConsCBIZ as a whole:
- The practice structure of the company as a whole is way more complicated than it has to be and competitors have figured out more appropriate ways to handle similar structures
- Branding is non-existent from the corporate level which affects all newly purchased offices and offices in major cities

CBIZ New York only:
- The office lacks any motivation from those in senior positions to succeed as an office. Higher ups are stuck in their old ways and refuse to adapt to the ever changing market leaving them in the dust of all the competitors in the New York marketplace
- Overly large egos destroy office chemistry and teamwork possibilities. Higher ups are very focused on themselves and their goals and not the office.
- No effort devoted to branding the company in the marketplace
- Poor treatment and lack of respect of the staff hurts morale and motivation on a daily basis
- Lack of understanding of what needs to be done internally to fix the office. There are people who prove time and time again that they are incompetent but they remain employed.
- Poor recruiting practices and university selection leads to a lack of talented new staff acquisitions
- Lack of resources and understanding of needed personnel in the administrative and non-accounting departments to make the office as a whole succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize how far behind every competitor we are and stop buying offices and leaving them to their own accord. Without a unified practice structure you will be left with an broken office-centric model that will bring no growth to the company or the offices.

For the New York office you need to make serious and drastic changes to the whole office to improve morale, become a player in the marketplace and turn the office back into the powerhouse it used to be. The current group of professionals is not equipped or motivated enough to put forth the effort needed to accomplish what has become a large task.

Good place to start out, but career and employee growth took a backseat to office politics

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBIZ full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaff-level accountants have the opportunity to be exposed to a range of accounting disciplines, such as tax, audit/attest, and litigation if desired.

ConsA lack of focus on employee morale negatively impacted motivation for staff, especially in such a demanding and time-intensive career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better balance between pushing staff to do more work while pushing back on clients that are overly demanding or expect the unreasonable.

Much ado about nothing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at CBIZ as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCasual atmosphere, approachable management. Everyone is generally willing to make small talk, regardless of level, except Partners (or rather MD's). TV in the breakroom (news). Car rides home during crunch seasons (provided you stay past nine)/ free dinner too (provided you stay past six). Potential to learn a lot, provided you push for it. Encouraged to take on work, but not so easily rewarded afterwards. Massages (on Saturdays).

ConsTypical office he-said he-said sideways blame. Any work not performed correctly is blamed on someone else, usually the person(s) below you. Managers and above are generally angry and rude, not very helpful when it comes to actual work questions. Not alot of interest in keeping things interesting for employees. Not much work-life balance. Hours seem excessive even though not a Big 4, though the personalities seem to act like it is a Big 4. Expect to work Saturdays and possibly Sundays around crunch time. No real commitment towards good work, just getting the work done to meet deadlines. Career track from intern to hire can be long. Career track after that can be just as long, if not longer. High turnover, throughout-except for Partners, MDs. Not very diverse environment, with certain 'types' fast-tracked with promotion/work opportunities, and a large pool of 'diverse' female workers filling the 'inclusiveness' quota so they don't appear to be discriminatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave.

Project/Account Manager

Project/Account Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at CBIZ full-time for more than a year

ProsI can not really think of very many pro's to working for this company. I guess it would have to be that they offered free cokes, tea and coffee all day, every day.

ConsWow, where do I start? Bad management, no experience, no training, they just expected you to read their minds on what they wanted and how they wanted it done. When I asked for additional training, I was given a book to read, which did not cover the job description at all. Co-workers did not offer any help either. I was told to ask, but when I did, there was no help given.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to school and take some management courses. The two I worked for had no business being in their positions.

Ok. Just ok.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at CBIZ full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood group of local folks. Good ethical practices.

ConsDon't keep up with the times (or area) for compensation, work/life balance, and general corporate direction. Overly concerned with the profit/loss statements and budgets, so as to be short sighted about smart business decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your shareholders and worry more about your employees and clients. Retaining clients with happy employees is cheaper than constantly getting new clients...and employees!

Cheap Cheap Cheap

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at CBIZ full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy access to management, client base is mid-sized so exposure is extensive.

Conslack of a career path, lack of standardized evaluations, poor salary/benefits, poor culture,

work life balance is not a priority. Management is "forced" to advocate for it, but they do not practice what they preach.

What are the benefits of having an accounting firm with an Alternative Structure? There is no long term equity incentive for your employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees, they will drive your business!

Worked for CBIZ? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CBIZ reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CBIZ CEO Steven L. Gerard. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by CBIZ employees.