CBL & Associates Properties

Charles B. Lebovitz

A Good Group of People Going Nowhere

Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing Lead in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people overall with an upbeat atmosphere. People wanted to to the right ting

Cons

Poor management from above. Very closed for anyone outside the top cliche

Advice to Management

Listen to your people.

Fundamentally "ok"...but needs so much help.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall good group of people to work with.

Cons

Out of touch upper managment. Severe nepitism. A multi-billion dollar company that is run like a mom & pop developer. Outdated business model and unwilling (or unable) to adapt to a very competitive environment. Low salaries, ridiculous PTO.

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of low Chattanooga, TN wages...probably one of the only reasons they have kept the headquarters in TN. Pay your people what they're worth. Improve work/life balance. 10 days of PTO for senior level employees is ridiculous, while founding family takes 4-5 months off a year, flying around on the corporate jet. Regain your competitive advantage! Invest in your properties!

Many good people, management at the top is exceptionally disconnected.

I worked at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some fabulous people that work at this company. If you're lucky to have a strong boss, you'll be shielded from much of the nonsense that goes on and actually be able to be productive and have individual growth.

Cons

Corporate is clueless and quite disorganized. There are distinct cliques and "favorites" and a resistance to inclusion on many levels. I was actually at meetings where there was not a single female speaker featured and there was an exceptional celebration of sports coaches from Utah and of sports in general (I don't mind sports, but when that is ALL that is featured, it gets old). They will tout how important family is, however, they have no compunction about forcing work/travel on weekends without giving any comp time in exchange, which is just silly. I truly feel that the only reason one of the larger developers haven't done a take over of this company is that it would be too much work to sell the 50 ugly properties in order to secure the 15 solid ones and the 25 so-so ones. The IT department has a stranglehold and will actually actively discourage or tell VP level managers no to simple requests because they are quite convinced that they'll be hacked. And if you'd like to have a career path there - good luck. There is minimal opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There are some absolute gems working there, but at the rate this company is going with the new CEO, they won't be there long unless they are close to retirement.

When it's good, it's all good, but when it's bad-look out!

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

Pros

They are a very family oriented company. They have great relationships within the company. I feel like I have been compensated very generously.

Cons

They focus too much on ROI! They need to extinguish the realtionship with ERMC that is slowly sucking the life out of our properties. Everyone rushes to make everything look pretty when we have a property review when in reality the property has their hands locked and not able to do what it takes to make the property look nice and run smoothly through out the year. Some regionals seldom visit properties and dont offer the help that we need. U feel like you are own your own! They promote people to higher positions that people in the field know of significant wrongs they have made yet go unnoticed. It's like if you click with them, your automatically in! There has been times, us in the field has sat begging for help and would get no emails, no nothing back-we would start working with each other because of no responses, yet this person got promoted?? I've seen too many times, regionals start with a project only for it to get dropped by the waist side!

Advice to Management

Review top management and make a change! Their needs to be more input from outsiders instead of the same key ones that does not bring in a freshness or new prospective to what management should be.

No more for growth and you are their slaves.

I worked at CBL & Associates Properties

Pros

Professional environment only in dress code, great health benefits, reasonable pay

Cons

Gossip environment, working OT with no compensation, highly stressful, no room for growth, not a friendly environment, Lebovitz arrogant

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you're God and be part of the working environment with your employees instead of dividing them with a wall. Arrogance and gossip, high school. No room for growth.

Children at the helm. Literally.

I worked at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok. Company appears to be financially sound.

Cons

Top down culture. Input from the field is not solicited. Bullies abound. Company is strictly driven by Return on Investment. Work environment stessful.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad eggs at Corporate and in the field. CBL knows who they are! Life is too short to work with a-holes. A complete culture change is needed. Currently, the top three priorities at CBL are: 1. ROI ; 2. ROI ; 3. ROI. Employees, ethics, and customers are a bit further down on the list. Can you say acquisition?

Good money--disrespectful management.

Former Employee - Leasing Manager
    Former Employee - Leasing Manager

I worked at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice office, good standard of living in Chattanooga, rewarded for results.

Cons

Management is run like a frat, and they like to publicly humiliate employees that make mistakes.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "monkey". Someone's gonna sue you eventually...you are lucky it wasn't me.

My experience has been good but strained as the job is not what I enterviewed for - deceived.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CBL is a family owned business and has a family philosophy. Employees work hard but family life is respected and time with family is honored in my department.

Cons

Not very flexible on schedules for most part and old fashioned ideas about dress code..no denim even on casual days. In reference to technology, somewhat behind...still using Lotus Notes. Some departments lack the manpower needed and employees are exploited.

Advice to Management

Work harder to keep up with technology. Those who deceived will be deceived.

No title

I have been working at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CBL & Associates has been in business for over 35 years. Established. Anticipate another 35 years.

Cons

Family run business. Senior Management still a Boys Club with old school ideas. Personnel issues not dealt with in a timely manner. Too much work, not enough employees.

A great company with great leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at CBL & Associates Properties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Opportunities for advancement and growth - Personable and reasonable leadership - More casual and friendly than some corporate environments - My supervisors went beyond being bosses, and took the time to be mentors and friends

Cons

- No true cons. Every workplace will have it's little nuances, depending on your personality and needs, and the same holds true here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

RSS Feed </> Embed