CBRE

Updated August 18, 2014
3.4

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired (in 28 reviews)

• Great place to learn about New York commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company (in 17 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible work environment that is geared towards results and not necessarily punching the clock. Creativity and forward thinking is rewarded.

Cons

Technology is an issue and has been over the last 10 years. For a global leader CBRE is well behind the curve in providing a technology package for their employees that can be utilized in servicing the clients.

Continue to invest in your existing employees and provide the necessary training and resources to allow them to elevate their performance.

The best national real estate company with good reason.

Current Employee - Real Estate Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Real Estate Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A structured and organized real estate organization filled with highly professional individuals. Those who can't produce will not flourish here.

Cons

Some may view this as a con - internal training takes a little time at this organization. It pays large dividends long-term.

Senior management is very highly structured. If you are at team player and well qualified you can succeed in this highly organized environment. It has been my experience that Senior Management is willing to become involved and offer support as much as needed.

Very good company to work for

Current Employee - Facility Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Facility Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Largest in the industry - globally. Has many new processes, programs and tutorials to offer that benefit the outsourced FM market clients. Manny best practice procedures that integret well over several product/services lines. Ethical, transparent, communicates well with employees.

Cons

Not as much training, coaching, personal career opportunities to advance as I'd like to see. May be so large they lose connections with employees. May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks.

Reach out more to lower, middle management

Nice to work with the industry leader

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Abundant opportunity, rewarding, smart colleagues, great culture.

Cons

Large company environment and you are not going to know everyone. Can be bureaucratic but it's the reality of any large company.

Double your investment in technology and marketing.

Great

Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE

Pros

Big company, lots of connections

Cons

Big company, get lost in the fray

Great Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE

Pros

Training and educaiton were excellent. I was sent to a one week orientation program called "CB101" within 6 months of starting at the company. It was a great way to build relationships and get acclimated to such a large brokerage firm. It was also a great way to see what the brokerage world was like outside of my microcosmic Chicago market.

Cons

It's huge and you have to seek out mentors. While I was working in a team based leasing environment, I struggeled to find may individuals who would "take me under their wing" and be invested in my career growth. While this was my first job out of college and didn't have much comparison, a lot of people found the work environment to be sexist; while I don't feel strongly about this, it is rather male-dominated and can be, at times, a bit of a "good ole boys" club.

If you want to change the complexion of the real estate brokerage industry's reputation as a male-dominated club, it would be instrumental to increase and improve mentorship for female, junior employees. The Women's Network was insufficient and, even being in the downtown Chicago office where the Network began, I was unable to even receive any acknowledgement or even a hello from the Women's Network founder-that definitely is not a healthy "face" of a Network that aims at and claims to support and foster female career development, is it?

Overall Great company.

Current Employee - Operating Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operating Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

Learning new ideas and development.

Cons

Bad middle management that is not threatened by co-workers.

Offer more training opportunities.

CBRE Overall is a Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

-There is a lot of opportunity for personal growth.
    -They are very supportive of a work-life balance.

Cons

-There does not seem to be much opportunity for advancement
    -They do not pay tuition to obtain an advanced degree

N/A

The Biggest in the Industry, But Still Needs Improvement

Former Employee - Senior Transaction Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Transaction Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE

Pros

They are the biggest firm in the industry, have some of the best people, and many of the best clients to work with. You can learn from some amazing people, and they give you the opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Decentralized organization within corporate services and general lack of information sharing. The old-school broker attitude still permeates much of the organization, especially the everyone-for-themselves knowledge hoarding. They also have a serious lack of software process systems for various functions that are standard at many of their competitors.

Catch up to your competition by increasing your investment in technology. Centralize your corporate services organization instead of allowing brokers to run with different accounts that result with inconsistent management and processes. Your a global brand, but in some cases you don't act like it.

Transaction Manager

Current Employee - Transaction Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Transaction Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

Freedom and Flexibility of Career path, options and choices

Cons

Teams are treated as independent business units so there can be wide disparities depending on whom you work with.

Leadership Development can be enhanced modified retain and develop existing talent

CBRE Photos