CBRE

CBRE Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic

Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired(in 23 reviews)

• Best in business for commercial real estate(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company(in 14 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks(in 18 reviews)

Lackluster experience with slow growth; decent pay

Pros15 PTO days a year, work-life balance is easy, decent pay for what I do

ConsPromotions and raises are hard to come by, management has unreasonable expectations, too bureaucratic

Horrible Management/Terrible Structure

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsDowntown location
    Cafe
    Good people to work with

ConsThere is no forward vision. Management often has "knee-jerk" reactions to hiring managers instead of supporting the recruiters. We have new management in place and it has completely upended the morale in the department. Everyone is interviewing and is exploring opportunities. There has been at least 10 people that have left within the past year. The promotions don't make any sense and when they do promote people they don't communicate it to anyone. The confidence in upper management has faltered due to the fact that they do not support the recriuiters or provide any guidance for the future. You are a service company that sells your employees but doesn't value them at all. It doesn't make any sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are your product. Stop focusing on trivial things and focus on the big picture. Support your employees. Guide your employees. I know you won't do any of this so its ridiculous for me to waste time doing this but someone has to.

Outsourced management

Director of Engineering (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood salary and benefits people are nice.

ConsClient is unreasonable to work with. Shadow management is a wage of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore push back needed on client to allow for CBRE team to sf o their job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home
    onsite cafe
    good location downtown
    compensation is good
    nice people to work with - that are some of the best in the industry

ConsVery much a mediocre staffing department struggling over the years to try and be world class or cutting edge. Sell that there is a flexible schedule but very much a clock in and clock out better work 40+ hours or else kind of place when 98% of the staff is working nights and weekends. They just went through a VP of staffing change that literally changed the entire dynamic of the department in a very negative way. 70% of the staff is interviewing at all times which lowers moral because the negativity spreads. No staff meeting in 6 months to discuss anything related to the department or at least get everyone together to talk and connect at least. 7 people have left in 5 months for better opportunities so turnover is running rampant and again it creates tension that you can cut with a knife. There is no team work, collaboration, or innovation within the department which should be at the forefront because we are hiring America into the largest RE company in the world. No leadership by senior leader’s only orders and constant process changes. No desire to listen to the team on ideas. Management is worried about meniscal things like regulating having a baby shower at 4:30 during working hours....when we should be trying to collaborate, work together, and find new innovative ways to connect and hire top talent. Working there is OK only because you can get away with not putting any effort in because no one really cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a true leader that recruiters can get behind, someone that has ideas and encourages it's staff to be the best they can. Set the platform and tone for a team environment. Have a staff meeting so we can talk and connect with each other on ideas and learn from eachother. Also try to advise the staff they are doing a good job at some point - we had awards and accolades for a long time and as chessy as they were we loved them because it gave us some sense of accomplishment.

Good platform to start a career with, but corporate training and support is lacking

ProsAccessibility to a number of service lines

ConsCross company job transfers are not as simple and welcome as the company implies. Mentorship takes a big backseat, non brokerage salaries are not competitivewith competitor's salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more ownership of mentoring and sponsoring employees, allowing personal and career growth rather than strictly company benefit.

Room for improvement

Analyst (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

Pros-Remote program is the largest plus
    -Paycheck pays the bills but... (See cons)
    -Great stepping stone for career advancement

Cons-Pay is below national average
    -Opposite of transparent; communication from Sr Mgmt > Mgmt > majority of workforce is VERY POOR
    -Innovation is not a priority both in process improvements as well as in technology realm
    -Very little opportunity to advance
    -Many people over worked with schedules reaching 60+ hours/week with very little help for the future or recognition

Advice to Senior Management-Management is not respected. The overall feeling is that management is barely keeping their heads above water so therefore the rest of the department feels strained and stressed
    -Communicate communicate communicate!
    -Reward hard working, result-providing employees! Find new ways to measure metrics.
    -Focus on innovation and immediate ways to apply process improvement. Creating process improvements are stressed but so little time for mgmt attention means no one actually implements said improvement unless a mgr or sr mgr think up the same improvement months later... Then the org submitter feels quite slighted.
    -Did I say communicate? Transparency is lacking.
    -Career advancement opportunities. Create more!

Client Service Coordinator

Client Services Coordinator (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe property management side of things was great. I enjoyed providing great service to the tenants of the building.

ConsI despised working with the leasing team and hated how the property managers bowed to their ridiculous overzealous nature. I appreciate that they bring tenants to properties but didn't care for the unethical ways they went about it. In the end I left because the local CBRE team's values didn't match my own, we were not a good fit for each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the company values be just for show - live them.

Good people, poor management and leadership.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCertainly the people i work with. There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired.

ConsMedical benefits are really bad. You pay a lot out of pocket. If you agree to anything that management says, it's more likely you will get promoted. Overall HR team is really weak. They does not know anything, every time you ask they ask you to call HR service center.

A good experience. Learned a lot to move on to the next opportunity

Brokerage (Former Employee)

ProsVery professional, lots of training for brokers. Can have a very flexible schedule. The team environment can be fun and great. Very relaxed atomosphere.

ConsCan be tough to navigate, depending on the market you are in if you are a minority, or woman. Make sure you get connected to affinity groups and get support to be able to develop a book of business and be successful. Can be somewhat of a "good ole boys club" either you are in and get support until you make money or you are out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on growing your affinity groups.

Huge corporate structure with lots of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany options to advance and move around. Good, steady employer that tries hard to keep good employees. Great benefits, lots of talented people, plenty to learn while working at CBRE

ConsOutsource model fuels a hard driving work culture. Sometimes feels a little like you're an anonymous number there.

Advice to Senior ManagementComp could be better. More interaction between accounts and groups would foster more of a larger team environment as compared to the silo feel.

Worked for CBRE? Contribute to the Community!