CBRE

Updated January 31, 2015
3.5

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired (in 28 reviews)

• Great place to learn about New York commercial real estate (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company (in 17 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX

I worked at CBRE part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant peers and everyone is there to help. Plenty of work to do yet enough resources and people that nothing gets pushed to a deadline.

Cons

Pay not great. CBRE knows how powerful their name is and understands they don't have to pay interns competitively.

Continue.

CBRE is a people driven company. They treat their employees well and in turn the clients get excellent service.

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very organized and take care of the details. the new hire training was extensive and employees can take additional classes through the intranet site. I remember getting an email on my first anniversary with a code for a gift. This went away during the recession in 2008 but showed willingness of CBRE to recognize their employees.

Cons

It can be challenging to advance in the company as a property manager. If you are doing a good job, the Director does not want you to move. Sometimes you have to leave in order to advance your career. On the sales side this is not the case since the compensation is performance driven.

Allow property managers to earn a portion of the commission for lease renewals. This incentive income is a nice bonus and encourages the manager to maintain a consistent relationship with the Tenants and partnership with the leasing agents.

Good experience

I worked at CBRE

Pros

good place to work with good benefits

Cons

The boss changed her mind often

Great for independent personalities who can handle freedom

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Very little micromanagement and great empowerment.

Cons

Cost reductions and constant chase after dollars.

Great Opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

When coming into a fortune 500 company from any background that is not commercial or residential real-estate, all things seems foreign. At the Phoenix office location right away they make you feel like family. They teach you the ropes and constantly show gratitude when ever an opportunity presents it self.

Cons

Its very hard to get in the in crowd especially since most of the girls known each other for years. However that is not in your job to make life long friends. Basically as a professional there are not to many cons because you work with professional and almost always feel appreciated.

Allow new employees who comes in with degree opportunities that educational they are prepared for or even experience. It might surprise you how a person hard work and dedication can constantly surpass any exceptions you might have for one in that given job experience. Often times people will not know people in the company to get that recommendation and/or approval so checking ones credentials can be the difference between a long time invested employee and someone that will only be hired base upon family or close friend referral.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

Exposure to different industries and clients.

Cons

Need more training for new hires.

None.

CBRE was the best company I've worked for.

Former Employee - Audio Visual Coordinator
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Coordinator

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid time off was great, the accounts i worked with were top notch, supervisors and colleges were great. I received more training about areas i was not strong in than expected, but was not made to take repetitive training that i was the expert in.

Cons

The Politics were silly sometimes, there was more short term travel than expected, and purchasing supplies and needs were a pain more often than not.
    The starting pay was not what it was with some other companies

Hire me again.

"Best in Class, Global Reach...becomes what you make it"

Former Employee - Broker
    Former Employee - Broker

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Global Fortune 500 company, comes with widely-known reach and presence naturally
    - Brokerage is what you make it...high upside/opportunities thereof
    - Good in-house resources: marketing, research, etc (although they come at a price!)

Cons

- Too many brokers working the same markets which leads to infighting
    - At times ineffective regional management, not willing to make the tough decisions

Don't discourage the true entrepreneurial spirit of brokerage. There is definite power in specialization and expertise, but the lack of diversity/opportunity outside your direct "swim lane" can be highly discouraging at times.

Opportunities for those that want them.

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

If you're assertive and display an enthusiastic attitude, your efforts are noticed. I was in a staff position and survived an acquisition. I saw this as an opportunity to showcase my abilities and it paid off. I became the right hand to a newly hired manager and was held in high regard by upper management.

Cons

A company this size has a lot of red tape and many hands in the decision making pot. Almost all of the management executives I interacted with were friendly and genuine. There were a few that were on a power trip and extremely self serving and beyond fake.

I would suggest introducing yourself to the rank and file people of the organization. These people may not be revenue generators but they are the oil behind the machine. They need to believe that they contribute and add value.

Entrepreneur oriented

Current Employee - Broker Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Broker Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great networking opportunities with all kinds of RE service types, work flexibility (depending on your team) and growth opportunities are infinite.

Cons

401K could be better matched and they are cheap when it comes to holiday parties or supporting fitness or networking activities. CBRE should put focus on supporting local events, runs, networking happy hours, etc.; it's important to stay relevant outside of the office as well.

CBRE Photos