CBRE

CBRE Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic

Robert E. Sulentic

Pros:
  • "There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Best in business for commercial real estate"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper management says how great they are when it is not always true"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growth for those who are patient...

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsCBRE is a growing company with many nationwide opportunities for growth. They are the largest real estate company in the world and if interested, will spend a significant amount of time in developing a potential leader. They have strong leadership throughout the country who are busy but very successful. If you are able to establish yourself then they will take the time to make things happen for you. They are all about building relationships with the client, so one must be patient for things to happen within their career as the client is the primary concern. I have had great managers and excellent reviews. Being a hard worker and wanting to change things for the better is a significant plus to the leaders within this organization when evaluating your performance.

ConsThe most irritating thing about CBRE is the political game. As with most big companies, there are several layers to go through to get something done. Unfortunately, the information that is provided on the company intranet is not helpful in getting people visability. You really have to search to find programs that are beneficial. However, if you ask any HR person they will say that the company has lots of opportunities. The other big downside is the possibilty of being pigeon-holed onto an account with limited interaction with the rest of the company. It can be hard to advance if you are dependent upon the client's corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs stated about, many of the employees have to play the political game. By doing this, the company or it's managers can seem sneaky or cut-throat. By the time I hear the information from management I have already heard it from everyone else. It is difficult to build strong relationships with employees if they are always questioning your motives or honesty. Just be open and try and connect the company. There are so many missed opportunities to bring the company together and to make it really feel as though it is a collective effort to make things better.

CB Richard Ellis - A Leader in Real Estate and A Leader In Employee Satisfaction

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsThe people here are great! There are many perks included that I did not know about when I was hired. Everyone gets along great with each other. There are some of the brokers here who make an unbelievable amount of money, yet you wouldn't know it by their attitude. They are friendly with everyone. Everyone cares about each other and strive to treat everyone as equals, right down to the receptionist. Our office manager is wonderful to work for. She is generous towards all of the staff. There have been many times she has bought lunch for us "just because." We can go to her with any problem and she takes the time to listen and help solve it, without being "bossy."

ConsMarketing assistants have brokers assigned to a specific specialty. There is retail, industrial, office, multi-family and investment. Marketing assistants receive a bonus based on the gross commission of the transaction for our specific brokers. Our bonus is 1.2% of the gross commission. When you look at the gross commission being paid, and the amount of work you might have done on a specific transaction, that 1.2% isn't a lot. It would be great if the bonus could be on a sliding scale - i.e.: If the gross commission was $1 - $15,000 bonus is 1.2%, $15,001 - $30,000 bonus is 1.6%, and so on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn most cases, they are doing a great job. They listen to our comments and complaints and take appropriate actions. They seem to care about how we feel about our jobs.

I love being at CB Richard Ellis

Senior Research Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are many good reasons to work at CB Richard Ellis: Name recognition, quality management, quality peers, passionate support staff, networking opportunities. However, I'd say that the best reason is the wealth of global opportunities within every avenue of commercial real estate.

ConsIt is an extremely large organization and, as with any Fortune 500 company, it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Other than that, most negatives are the same as you'd find at any large public company. Occasional disconnect between levels of management, extreme penny pinching, territorial competitions, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path you've been blazing. Our rapid growth will payoff in value creation when the markets begin to turn back. We are the preeminent real estate company in the world and it is due to strong leadership and a core of the best real estate professionals in the world.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall CB is a great company to work for

Seattle, WA

ProsCB Richard Ellis is a great company to work for. There is ample room for growth.

ConsPutting Managers in positions that should not be there

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your management staff to learn what their employees do

Unrealized potential

Associate Director (Former Employee)
    Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsThe potential opportunities that you have and the connections which are developed withing the company can be excellent. Their network and certain staff can be leveraged to provide truly excellent services to the clients. In some markets the knowledge and services provided are absolutely top rate, which connections which go to the highest levels of business. The brand name will open doors for you, although this has been declining in recent years.

ConsThe lack of communication and cooperation between offices and business lines. The company seems to take pride in hiring below the industry average, and some of the middling management are reluctant to employ new staff which may be more talented then they are. Senior management seems a bit too divorced from the day to day workings; while this is to be expected, they should have more regular interaction which would help them to understand the depth of feelings which some of the business lines have towards the middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing competitive plans for staff benefits and advancement. Look to hire the best candidates and have a comprehensive plan for provide the data and materials to support the staff

Proud to be with CBRE

Real Estate Manager (Current Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsGlobal recognition; well organized structure of the company; universal job processes/policy.

ConsIt's easy to get lost in the sea if company and policy information.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost employees at my level and above are over burdened with the extreme workload.

CBRE - a good place to work if you want to be a broker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsA leader in the real estate industry.

ConsInefficient infrastructure and lack of vision to bring large projects to fruition. Often similar initiatives are done redundantly and repeatedly without allowing the time or resources to be completed, when the cycle begins again. There is also generally a lack of respect and commitment to internal support resources from management. While on the one hand this is sensible, since the sales force generates the income and the support force is an expense, it does not make it an enjoyable place to work unless your career path is oriented toward the brokerage, etc... side of the shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the leaders of various support divisions have the time, resources, respect, and support to complete larger initiatives and programs. CBRE purports to have superior services (marketing, research, mapping, etc...), and while they're superior to that of most of the competition, they're fairly standard and stagnant.

fair and good.

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Newport Beach, CA

ProsVery Professional in terms of the environment. Competent people to work with. In the few months that I have been with the company, I have learned a good lot of the commercial property management - at least in the accounting side of things. The other accountants that I work with are very smart people and know what they are doing. Which is more what I can say from the previous employer that I had - where some did not even know how to work the simple functions of excel.

ConsBenefits pretty much sucks. HR needs to re evaluate their packages. The 401K is pretty terrible as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to realize that their accountants and underlings are what are bringing in the salary. From management fees to accounting fees, they are the ones doing the bulk of the work.

Great company to work for if you're a corporate personality.

Assistant Real Estate Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsCB Richard Ellis is the largest commercial real estate firm in the world with every position available based on your interest and with the most resources and tools to help you learn your craft.

ConsLarge company with corporate politics which can make it hard to get noticed or get a promotion. Everyone essentially looks out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more involved with lower level employees and seek their feedback as their direct manager might not be doing the job.

CB Richard Ellis- The Best Opportunity Commercial Real Estate can offer.

Research Coordinator (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsCB Richard Ellis is the largest commercial real estate company in the world. CBRE has over 300 offices, spread amongst 50 different countries. Due to its impressive size, CBRE has access to numerous resources that other real estate companies do not possess. There is a reason why CBRE is consistently ranked as the number one commercial real estate company in the world. However, at least in the office I have experience with, the main benefit of CBRE is the people of whom it is comprised. My office had an incredible amount of passionate and intelligent brokers- most of whom probably could have had leadership positions at another real estate company. The managing director was a great leader, and he took great pride in the fact that he had formed a superbly skilled and cohesive team of brokers. Every single one of them knows exactly what they are doing and how to make a great deal of money for the company. However, these brokers are not all about money. They care about each other and love to team up and offer information whenever it makes an associate's life easier. All of the non brokers in the office, from the office manager down to the receptionist are always treated with the utmost respect. At CBRE, if you want to advance, you simply have to put in the hours. CBRE has great training programs that prepare its young employees for the industry quite well. Thus, all each individual needs to do is try his or her hardest. If he or she is doing a good job, he or she will be rewarded. Another great thing was the office atmosphere. It was never boring or stuffy- all the employees are constantly engaging each other in friendly ways. Their always appeared to be a great deal of camaraderie in the office throughout the whole day. The senior leadership is great- if they need to lead, they will lead, otherwise they let their employees due what they are hired to do, which is always a relief. I have never worked in an office that had such high morale before. Most cubicle-styled offices resemble the movie "Office Space," where the employees are constantly bored and depressed. That was never the case at CBRE! Every person seemed generally happy to be there. Many of the employees are good friends outside of work and often meet up for lunch, drinks or dinner. In conclusion, CBRE is a great place to work- partially because of its vast resources, but mostly because of the high-quality of the average employee.

ConsSometimes the chain of command can be a little confusing. Its not that their is isn't great leadership, its just that it sometimes appears like their is unnecessary overlap of responsibilities amongst those with leadership positions. Thus, sometimes in-job communication can break down a little bit. An example would be if a team of researchers got a very similar assignment from two different brokers, they aren't always able to consolidate. Its usually not a problem, however. On occasion, interns are given assignments which have almost no practical value to the company. Also, interns are often relations of the senior brokers in the office, making it difficult for aspiring real estate brokers to get an internship. Other than that which is stated above, there really isn't anything major wrong with this company. They do a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Senior Management should have a look into the hiring of interns who are relations of senior members. Obviously, if they qualified it shouldn't matter, but often times their fathers just wanted them to have summer jobs. Unfortunately, this eliminates a vast amount of intelligent college grads who are itching to get involved with CBRE but are blocked by nepotism. I would also like senior management to know that they are running a great company.

Worked for CBRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CBRE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CBRE CEO Robert E. Sulentic. All 447 reviews posted anonymously by CBRE employees.