CBRE Reviews

642 reviews filtered by

1. Learning experience

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at CBRE as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good.

Cons

The people here do not communicate with each other at all. It was definitely a different experience that what I was used to and most of the people working here are rude.

Management needs to spend more time training employees and getting to know them as individuals.

2. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career path and exposure to senior management. High level of collaboration between service lines.

Cons

No major cons to speak of.

3. Good place to work if you want to be an entrepreneur with a corporate brand and setting

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity when the real estate market is healthy. Competitive but fair. Allows you to make a much or a little as you want through their commission structure.

Cons

Not very team building or company loyalty oriented. CBRE is a marketing brand for real estate. Women have to fight hard to move up and not be see as administrative support only.

Create more opportunities for younger associates to work with experienced professionals in the company. Make this incentive driven and it will help groom the next generation of talent.

Opportunity, Opportunity, Opportunity!

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

The amount of mentoring happening here is great! I enjoy knowing that the promotions are based upon performance and not seniority. Hard work is rewarded and the managers/supervisors are very adamant about helping their employees learn and succeed. They have a structured path to move up in the company and as an employee it's nice to know what the next step is and what I need to do to get there.

Cons

Teams are changing often due to promotions and growth opportunities. It is nice to be able to get to know a wide range of the employees at this location and learn from others that join your team or from a team you join after moving up.

Keep building and mentoring great teams. The ability to grow and move up in this company is a huge benefit to all employees.

6. Highly flexible

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

Very merit driven. You make your own destiny.

Cons

Very large organization, takes a while to know all of the lines of business/resources.

Focus on on-boarding.

7. Great place when it comes to growth and being in a friendly environment

Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

I was hired as an associate accountant and have to say it has been an amazing 6 months so far. The managers are so helpful, everyone is friendly and will help with whatever question you have, the two week training that was provided really eased me into the work, and even when starting they don't assume you are a pro after the two week training, they guide you on everything step-by-step. You still do have to work hard and digest a lot of info though.

So many changes have been done to my team due to a bunch of promotions, great opportunity for growth.

Cons

The only problem is pay isn't that hot, but you can grow and if it really that much of a concern, having this company on your resume will give you a great edge.

Great opportunities for advancement w/in company, but will low-ball your salary as much as possible and overwork you

Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator
    Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator

I worked at CBRE full-time

Pros

I recommend this as a starting point for anyone new to the industry; Easy advancement within the company, will hire and train, very good company to start career in.

Cons

frustrating middle management; under appreciated, underpaid & overworked admin staff; favoritism to brokerage; neglected admin staff; desire to meet budgetary goals for corporate HQ at expense of workplace happiness of admin staff.

Understand that if you want to reduce turnover of your admin staff, you must show loosen the purse strings and hire more people to relieve the burden of the existing staff. I, and many others, worked in positions better suited for 2 or 3 employees. Admin staff is consistently overworked and very under appreciated. You create resentment when brokerage is given freedom to mistreat their admins, but then make promises to improve working conditions for admin staff. Then give very confusing signals when management is seen attending workplace gatherings and happy hours with Brokerage while the admin staff are left to work overtime.

9. Great place to learn commercial real estate, positions available with no experience required

Current Employee - Assistant Real Estate Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Real Estate Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CBRE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Largest commercial real estate company in the world. Many different departments to try as your interests change.

Cons

Growing very quickly in the market and not always hiring the best candidate for the position. Lack of onboarding

Amazing first 6 months!

Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CBRE

Pros

I am relatively new to CBRE, but have been here long enough to get a good feel for the company. I realize not all accounts are created equal, and I got a little lucky to land in an account that is perfect for me and what I am seeking for my career. Lots of support from within CBRE for career development, and my Alliance Director has been absolutely amazing in that arena. Very excited to be here, even after 6 months I feel this was the perfect move for my long term career goals!

Cons

From what I understand, not all accounts are as great as the account I am on. That seems to be a little hit and miss, but from those who can stick through a bad account for a couple years there are always other places to move on to without switching who your employer is!

Continue the trend and focus on developing talent. That will keep those of us looking to grow and develop excited to do so and excited to do so within CBRE.

11. Leadership has lost site of what's important.

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CBRE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent fringe benefits & some great people. Also, a good learning environment for those new to accounting... assuming you end up on a supportive team. Promotional opportunities are abundant if you know how to navigate the office politics.

Cons

Accounting leadership has lost site of what's important... it's people. The former leadership team used to focus on making the work environment supportive, fun and growth oriented, with attainable work-life balance. Those days are gone. The newer leadership team seems more focused on the bottom line... piling as much work as they can on employees in order to save money and meet an aggressive profit margin.

Work-life balance is non existent, with staff working anywhere from 50-90+ hours per week on average. Desirable client assignments and promotions seem to go to whoever is sucks up to leadership the most. Those who don't play the game are either overlooked for promotions or fired.

While there are morale building events, they are much less frequent or grand in scale as in years past. Plus, the increased work volume on each employee has reduced participation in these events. Beer & nachos only go so far.

Clearly people are unhappy with the changes, because the turnover in the department is ridiculously high. Restaffing the positions with qualified candidates has been a challenge due to the improving job market.

It is sad to see the downward spiral of what was once a great accounting department. Hopefully they can turn it around as there are still a lot of good people remaining.

Start focusing on your people. If you treat your staff well the bottom line will follow. If you don't, the bottom line will ultimately suffer because you can't retain good people to do the work.

CBRE Photos