CBRE

CBRE Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic

Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
  • There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired(in 23 reviews)

• Best in business for commercial real estate(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance not always honored due to competitiveness within the company(in 14 reviews)

• May just focus on upper management development rather than the lower ranks(in 18 reviews)

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company, great place to work with the right boss

Administrative Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI have been with CBRE in the Bay Area for a short while, and I have had a great experience with the company, mainly due to my supervisor. He is a great motivator and a great resource for all of the other employees on this account- GCS- Global Corporate Services

ConsThe company is huge so it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Many changes in the short time I have been there; it is sometimes like a revolving door. People come and go from the account. Again, if it was not for my supervisor, I may have not lasted this long either.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on employee retention. It seems like too many people come and go from this company. Try to work on getting the right people and maybe they will stay for a while.

Client Service

Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood people, everyone is really nice.

ConsSometime its busy sometime its not

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Good people, poor management and leadership.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCertainly the people i work with. There is no work-life balance and they always try to low-ball when you get hired.

ConsMedical benefits are really bad. You pay a lot out of pocket. If you agree to anything that management says, it's more likely you will get promoted. Overall HR team is really weak. They does not know anything, every time you ask they ask you to call HR service center.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for if you are in sales, otherwise not so much

Information Services Coordinator (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood benefits, motivated employees, lots of revenue, generous sales people

ConsLow salary for non sales persons, sales dominated company therefore all other employees not in sales or appraisals are low on the totem pole and are not treated as fairly

The best tools the industry has to offer.

Real Estate Services Administrator (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosvery advance technology, make daily task very easy.employee training is online and tutorial are very helpful for new employees

Consdo more but don't expect pay. Managing Director expect you to work beyond your scope but don't expect pay.

Advice to Senior Managementemployee promotion should be reviewed at higher corporate level.

CB Richard Ellis- The Best Opportunity Commercial Real Estate can offer.

Research Coordinator (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCB Richard Ellis is the largest commercial real estate company in the world. CBRE has over 300 offices, spread amongst 50 different countries. Due to its impressive size, CBRE has access to numerous resources that other real estate companies do not possess. There is a reason why CBRE is consistently ranked as the number one commercial real estate company in the world. However, at least in the office I have experience with, the main benefit of CBRE is the people of whom it is comprised. My office had an incredible amount of passionate and intelligent brokers- most of whom probably could have had leadership positions at another real estate company. The managing director was a great leader, and he took great pride in the fact that he had formed a superbly skilled and cohesive team of brokers. Every single one of them knows exactly what they are doing and how to make a great deal of money for the company. However, these brokers are not all about money. They care about each other and love to team up and offer information whenever it makes an associate's life easier. All of the non brokers in the office, from the office manager down to the receptionist are always treated with the utmost respect. At CBRE, if you want to advance, you simply have to put in the hours. CBRE has great training programs that prepare its young employees for the industry quite well. Thus, all each individual needs to do is try his or her hardest. If he or she is doing a good job, he or she will be rewarded. Another great thing was the office atmosphere. It was never boring or stuffy- all the employees are constantly engaging each other in friendly ways. Their always appeared to be a great deal of camaraderie in the office throughout the whole day. The senior leadership is great- if they need to lead, they will lead, otherwise they let their employees due what they are hired to do, which is always a relief. I have never worked in an office that had such high morale before. Most cubicle-styled offices resemble the movie "Office Space," where the employees are constantly bored and depressed. That was never the case at CBRE! Every person seemed generally happy to be there. Many of the employees are good friends outside of work and often meet up for lunch, drinks or dinner. In conclusion, CBRE is a great place to work- partially because of its vast resources, but mostly because of the high-quality of the average employee.

ConsSometimes the chain of command can be a little confusing. Its not that their is isn't great leadership, its just that it sometimes appears like their is unnecessary overlap of responsibilities amongst those with leadership positions. Thus, sometimes in-job communication can break down a little bit. An example would be if a team of researchers got a very similar assignment from two different brokers, they aren't always able to consolidate. Its usually not a problem, however. On occasion, interns are given assignments which have almost no practical value to the company. Also, interns are often relations of the senior brokers in the office, making it difficult for aspiring real estate brokers to get an internship. Other than that which is stated above, there really isn't anything major wrong with this company. They do a great job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think Senior Management should have a look into the hiring of interns who are relations of senior members. Obviously, if they qualified it shouldn't matter, but often times their fathers just wanted them to have summer jobs. Unfortunately, this eliminates a vast amount of intelligent college grads who are itching to get involved with CBRE but are blocked by nepotism. I would also like senior management to know that they are running a great company.

Worked for CBRE? Contribute to the Community!