CBS Interactive

CBS Interactive Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

CBS Interactive President Jim Lanzone

Jim Lanzone

Pros:
  • "Excellent work/life balance for the most part"
    in 10 reviews
  • "All of that contributes to a good work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is sort of stuck in the past"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Upper management not innovative enough"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No complaints. Everyone was very nice and new CEO was making the work environment more fun.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are generally helpful in the organization. The leadership is sometimes slow to make decisions but that isn't particularly new in this size of a company.

ConsSome employees are complacent because they have been there for a long time and they aren't going to move if not provoked. I'd like to see them cut some of the stale talent there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, cutting some of the stale talent who are people that have been there for awhile and not really contributing any new programs or new initiatives and just spinning the same message with different language

I used to love it here.

San Francisco, CA

ProsVending machine sodas still only cost a quarter.

ConsSenior management solutions to just about everything typically involve creating additional and unnecessary management layers, scheduling endless meetings in which very little actually gets done, and/or giving powerpoint presentations in which jokes are all too often more plentiful than actionable ideas.

On those occasions that meetings result in meaningful discussion and good ideas, almost never any follow through.

Far too many folks just going through the motions day-to-day. People here used to be so passionate!

Antiquated systems for expense reports, PTO requests etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time getting to know the people who work so hard for you. Interact with folks outside of your pay grade. You might be surprised at just how brilliant many of them are.

Question the need for managers and management layers before appointing/creating them. I'll never understand how my former manager and I, without our own positions changing, came to have two management layers between us.

Look at the job descriptions for folks in management positions and ask yourselves if they are living up to them.

Not every single decision needs to be made by a committee. Give us leaders with clear visions and we'll follow them. Current leaders are so busy meeting with one another and ensuring that they're not individually accountable for anything ever that any messaging we get is muddled at best.

Easy to get buried.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a good work/life balance.

ConsCulture went off the rails following the CBS acquisition.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Interactive Designer (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun Location, some good people.

ConsSenior Management is sort of stuck in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think its too late for that. Very set in there ways

Great to get on your resume

ProsIt's an easy going atmosphere and makes it easy to last 1 year there for the experience to put on your resume and go to a bigger and better company.

ConsMost employees are VERY UNDERPAID.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you lay people off, learn how they made their group so successful. Concentrate on being more organized and utilizing the amazing people you have working for you before they go to bigger companies!

Nice place to work

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful working conditions. Freedom to express ideas. Lot of learning opportunities. Access to senior management and encouragement of your ideas. Nice team to work with.

ConsNone that I can think of. My summer internship was for 10 weeks and I did not notice anything bad while I was there.

Lots of opportunity

ProsGrowth potential for younger employees

ConsUpper management not innovative enough

Company with a great research department

San Francisco, CA

ProsUnderstanding managers that have been there a long time, great location/office to work at

ConsSocially a clicke-driven place and making co-worker friends here is like returning to high school dynamics.

Looks exciting but not a very great company to work for.

Prosupbeat start -up feel because of Energized CEO
    Wonderful employees
    Good place to learn new areas of work

Conslow pay compared to industry probably because of old-school CBS Corporation
    Not a place to stay in the long-run; good place to learn and explore better pastures.
    High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like working capital but long term assets. The disadvantage of a subsidiary beholden to a public company is their management seeking ways to save money on salaries and turning temps into full-time in order to show favorable spending. This reflects poorly on workers and when the time is right they will seek employers that treat them like long-term assets

Nice people, not for growth

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsClose to downtown SF.
    Semiformal-casual environment, depending on which team you're on.
    A lot of free beer.
    On average most regular employees are really fun, nice, intellectual people.

ConsIf you work in creative, engineering, or product, beware of the extremely novice senior management. You will be surrounded with by all means very nice people who were promoted internally over the years without having been reviewed against external talent. Lack of experienced managers with people managing experience causes a lot of internal friction here. External hires for top senior management were generally from acquisitions, C positions included. CEO regularly makes detail design, engineering, and advertising decisions that go implemented and unchallenged by senior management. The overall age of senior management with headcount is much older than if you were at a Twitter, Google, Apple. The company promotes many growth opportunities yet does not encourage a mentorship environment or foster dialog for growth within the company from the top down. Which is really disappointing given the large amount of talented employees that do work here and are eager to share information with one another. One of those you might love it and stay for 5 years, or you might hate it and be out in 6 months types of places.

Cross functional organization breaks are present especially with the company's dependence for advertising revenue. Where quality controls are usually overlooked in order to make stretch goals for advertising partnerships or sales relationships. Company promotes longer term strategies for content and user experience yet has difficulty meeting basic deadlines in cross functional capacities. Communication is not structured to promote accountability from the senior management down. Instead tends to "pass the buck" until there's a fire drill. Many instances of product launches being hindered as early as the planning phase, but the corporate culture demands that "something" goes live. Not a quality controlled system. Senior management consistently broadcasting "wins" across the company, although the reality of success with launches on deadline is marginal at best.

The overall culture is pretty good for a tech company. It's not the most progressive place for women and minorities, although heavily promotes that it is. There are a lot of parties and social functions hosted at the building if you're into that sort of thing. Ladies, the "Boys Club" mentality is the the general rule of law here, you've been warned. Fitting in and being friends with management is the unspoken culture, those that don't participate aren't hurt by this in their performance review per se, but it probably doesn't help your visibility.

Great place for a stable paycheck albeit much less competitive than their competitors literally down the street. I feel that if the general lot of good employees stay the positive, intellectual types they have been, they might just be able to pervade the current management/organization in a few years and finally manage to grow there. Definitely worth keeping an eye on, but there are better deals in the SOMA now.

Worked for CBS Interactive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CBS Interactive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone. All 161 reviews posted anonymously by CBS Interactive employees.