CBS Outdoor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wally C. Kelly

A 'Throwback' company.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

Pros*Good hours
    *Decent base
    *Well known name
    *Diverse - LGBT friendly
    *Nice people

Cons*TOTALLY behind the times (from a sales perspective)
    *NO investment in sales CRM
    *Absolutely horrible in terms of welcoming new employees and giving a 'lay of the land'
    *NO teamwork in Sales Dept
    *Worthless unless you have any National business if you work in a major market.
    *Old boys network feel.

Advice to Senior Management*Try to have some kind up team building ideas in house.
    *Bring the CRM situation up to date so salespeople are not calling on the same people over and over again -- makes the company and the employee look like idiots, or worse, boorish.
    *Having internal fiefdoms really makes for a lack of employee cooperation.

Should have left much sooner...

New York, NY

ProsPay is good- since they have nothing else to offer they throw money at you.

Consno reviews hence no opportunity for setting career path and advancement. Long hours and too much work unevenly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart seeing and treating your employees as human beings instead of workhorses.

I'm great at filing!

AE Intern (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGreat people, fun atmosphere and awesome culture.

ConsAs an intern, filing paperwork was not exactly what I had in mind when I got the position. The office was also dirty and had ventilation issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns more of chance to go out with your AE's

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old School Company; Get ready to Cold Call

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsAbility to network with different business owners within the market you work; great co-workers; good benefits; team environment; managers have many contacts in the advertising industry.

ConsLow starting salaries; no possibility of moving into a management role unless you are in sales; a strong culture of nepotism; sales force is overworked; no training; "Behind the times" compared to other corporate advertising companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more training in the sales area for younger college grads/employees in their 20's. Hire outside of the company for management positions instead of promoting from only within. Be open to new ideas and methods of efficiency

Glad I was able to get out while I could.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey are very laid back and you don't feel like you are treated like school children.

ConsManagement gossips behind your back and expects you to be perfect. No career advancement whatsoever. Also expect to have no social life, as you are consistently working long hours at this thankless place.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees or you'll keep on having a revolving door.

Great learning opportunity

Human Resources Shared Services (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros-part of CBS Corporation
    -leading out of home advertising media in UK
    -busy, competitive environment
    -great learning experience especially if you are in sales/marketing/franchise

Cons-limited career progression
    -limited training opportunities
    -competitive culture, not very friendly environment
    -compensation & benefits are below the market median especially for support functions

Advice to Senior Management-streamline internal policies and practices to enhance fair treatment
    -be open, transparent and honest to your staff

Stuck in the past and unwilling to pay modern wages for professional work

Proof of Performance Photographer (Former Employee)

ProsI was a freelancer, so the work was flexible, which I appreciated.

ConsManagement was nwilling to even consider negotiations, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that their contract terms were unfeasible and outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so stubborn and set in your ways. Listen to your employees' and freelancers' needs and negotiate in good faith as necessary to keep a balance of profitability and productive happiness.

Good place to work if you are a beginner or an ex-football player

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsIt's the largest media company in the world, which will look good on your resume. It's a good place to start out if you are right out of school to gain some experience or if you are an ex-football player needing a job.

ConsThe cons outweigh the pros by a long shot! It's not a good place to transfer too if you have any real world experience. I felt like I had to dumb myself down to work here. They didn't seem to value my experience at all. I think they hired me simply so they didn't have to train me. They didn't seem to care that they weren't doing things to the same level as the other companies in their industry. I worked a minimum of 10 hours a day in order to get everything done that needed to be done, but was never recognized for it. They seem to hire a lot of family members, friends, men and ex-ball players and favor them over the other employees. There were employees who dressed and spoke inappropriately, but no action was ever taken when they were complained about. The CEO Wally is a major hot head. On more than one occasion he was yelling so loud on the phone and to other employees that the whole office could hear him and made us all very uncomfortable. Very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet up to date. Start taking notice of your good employees and stop favoring the men, the family members and the ball-players. In fact, stop hiring them at all! Pay people what they are worth. Take care of your hard working employees. Stop criticizing the little things and start taking action against those who deserve to be reprimanded, no matter how long they have been there.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThey offer great benefits, 401K, home office environment with full equipment

ConsNo training, no management interaction along the way, no goals or accountability of them, very antiquated database, and no database to manage customers and contacts. Will hire you and suggest you will make about 15-20K in commissions first year on top of salary, and it's not attainable. Plan to live on your base salary. Will move you to a much lower draw on your 1 year anniversary date with much higher goals.

At least it is an experience

ProsThere are a young people

ConsI think it is not so good organized

Worked for CBS Outdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CBS Outdoor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CBS Outdoor CEO Wally C. Kelly. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by CBS Outdoor employees.