CBS Outdoor

Updated September 8, 2014
2.4

Wally C. Kelly

I worked at CBS Outdoor

Pros

Decent experience if you can survive a "sink or swim" type of environment. Ok money to be made even if you're not appreciated for the effort. As long as you're generating results you can advance into sales management (if you can stand working for one of the company's senior managers)

Cons

Ex-athlete senior management are less than intelligent, spiteful bullies. The East Coast Senior Vice President excels at management through harassment, interrogation and humiliation. Avoid working in one of his East Coast markets for sure. Totally unprofessional management approach.

Treat people like humans and not as disposable assets. Get rid of the bullying atmosphere. Invest in your staff and encourage them with positive feedback, adopt a zero tolerance policy of harassment and enforce it, even if it's the company's senior managers.

The best Job I've held to this point.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New Orleans, LA

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exceptional leadership provided by management. Laid back environment at the office, and every employee knows one another like a family member. That experience was so amazing because of the people who run and work in that office.

Cons

Limited inventory of billboard locations.

Keep up the great work and thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with such a great group of individuals. Thanks also for spending the extra time outside of work to try to help me succeed.

Great Environment, some processes outdated but they are moving with the times

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best General manger ever. Listened and implemented and rewarded us for good work, listened to all of our concerns and suggestions

Cons

anything that had to do outside my office. Billing dept is absurdly dumb and lazy. Just plain and simple. Even had to call and train them on basic math and proration.

Billing Department helps in losing sales. Had three or more clients leave since the billing dept could't figure out charges, over charged and couldn't do their job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A 'Throwback' company.

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*Good hours
    *Decent base
    *Well known name
    *Diverse - LGBT friendly
    *Nice people

Cons

*TOTALLY behind the times (from a sales perspective)
    *NO investment in sales CRM
    *Absolutely horrible in terms of welcoming new employees and giving a 'lay of the land'
    *NO teamwork in Sales Dept
    *Worthless unless you have any National business if you work in a major market.
    *Old boys network feel.

*Try to have some kind up team building ideas in house.
    *Bring the CRM situation up to date so salespeople are not calling on the same people over and over again -- makes the company and the employee look like idiots, or worse, boorish.
    *Having internal fiefdoms really makes for a lack of employee cooperation.

Should have left much sooner...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good- since they have nothing else to offer they throw money at you.

Cons

no reviews hence no opportunity for setting career path and advancement. Long hours and too much work unevenly distributed.

Start seeing and treating your employees as human beings instead of workhorses.

I'm great at filing!

Former Employee - AE Intern  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - AE Intern in Orlando, FL

I worked at CBS Outdoor as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere and awesome culture.

Cons

As an intern, filing paperwork was not exactly what I had in mind when I got the position. The office was also dirty and had ventilation issues.

Give interns more of chance to go out with your AE's

Old School Company; Get ready to Cold Call

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to network with different business owners within the market you work; great co-workers; good benefits; team environment; managers have many contacts in the advertising industry.

Cons

Low starting salaries; no possibility of moving into a management role unless you are in sales; a strong culture of nepotism; sales force is overworked; no training; "Behind the times" compared to other corporate advertising companies.

Invest more training in the sales area for younger college grads/employees in their 20's. Hire outside of the company for management positions instead of promoting from only within. Be open to new ideas and methods of efficiency

Glad I was able to get out while I could.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are very laid back and you don't feel like you are treated like school children.

Cons

Management gossips behind your back and expects you to be perfect. No career advancement whatsoever. Also expect to have no social life, as you are consistently working long hours at this thankless place.

Value your employees or you'll keep on having a revolving door.

Good place to work if you are a beginner or an ex-football player

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's the largest media company in the world, which will look good on your resume. It's a good place to start out if you are right out of school to gain some experience or if you are an ex-football player needing a job.

Cons

The cons outweigh the pros by a long shot! It's not a good place to transfer too if you have any real world experience. I felt like I had to dumb myself down to work here. They didn't seem to value my experience at all. I think they hired me simply so they didn't have to train me. They didn't seem to care that they weren't doing things to the same level as the other companies in their industry. I worked a minimum of 10 hours a day in order to get everything done that needed to be done, but was never recognized for it. They seem to hire a lot of family members, friends, men and ex-ball players and favor them over the other employees. There were employees who dressed and spoke inappropriately, but no action was ever taken when they were complained about. The CEO Wally is a major hot head. On more than one occasion he was yelling so loud on the phone and to other employees that the whole office could hear him and made us all very uncomfortable. Very unprofessional.

Get up to date. Start taking notice of your good employees and stop favoring the men, the family members and the ball-players. In fact, stop hiring them at all! Pay people what they are worth. Take care of your hard working employees. Stop criticizing the little things and start taking action against those who deserve to be reprimanded, no matter how long they have been there.

Great Short Term

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive base salary and good benefits.
    Sales people have a lot of flexibility and freedom as long as you perform.

Cons

You must be driven and aggressive.
    It's kind of like a never ending sprint, it gets old.

Need to throw a bone out there once in a while.

Worked for CBS Outdoor? Contribute to the Community!