CBS Radio

www.cbsradio.com

CBS Radio Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
CBS Radio – Southfield – “AMP Radio”

CBS Radio President and CEO Dan Mason

Dan Mason

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere with people who like music(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits for the employees(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up beyond part time in department(in 8 reviews)

• Low pay - must work a second job to pay bills(in 7 reviews)

Pretty Good

Board Operator (Former Employee) Lanham, MD

ProsEasy radio to produce, everything's taken care of for you. You have a lot of flexibility with hours as well. Sometimes you can score some free stuff. A real laid back atmosphere as well

ConsKind of low pay, for part-time at least. You also aren't given a lot of direction, there's a lot of figuring it out on your own mentality. I worked at a sports station and there was kind of a fraternity that was excluding anyone who didn't want to talk about sports all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining was a joke, need more direction from management. There's really no well written contingency plans for when something goes wrong either.

CBS Radio Tampa

ProsReally fun atmosphere with some of the best promotions staff I have worked with.

ConsThe only way you can move forward is by weaseling your way in.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee that you have rockstars on your team and reward them.

Bad internship

Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMeet cool celebrities, learn about radio industry.

ConsNo commuter benefits for interns, no pay, early shift (5:30 am)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to get to know your interns

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcome to the 90s

Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent pay. Some talented people

ConsRemarkable lack of vision. If you need no inspiration, this is your place.

Regional Account Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosnone - all around terrible place to work for, you live under fear, every day of your life, toxic managers, toxic co-workers, that place psychologicly damaged me for life

Consno training, if you are in a boys club, you will get promoted, if not, start looking for another place, it's a toxic place to work for, I never knew evil before I started my job there..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to treat humanity with human dignity... it is that simple. no one is less or more, we are equal, we all deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. thank you.

Expendable Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFun atmosphere, free tickets to events and concerts.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, treated poorly by superiors, not paid enough for the job requirements. Also people are constantly being fired- at least once a month. Definitely who you know, not what you know; if you know the right people you are basically immune from being fired even if you take 3 hour lunch breaks and leave early every day. Management believes it is cheaper to hire part timers to do a full time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good work ethic from part-time employees and stop viewing them as expendable. Most want to move up at the company, but management prefers to hire full time positions from outside. Get rid of incompetent supervisors who do not do their job and are forcing a part time employee to do it for them.

CBS Radio Dallas is a good place to work, as long as you're not a DJ.

CBS/TSN News Anchor (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI am in news and absolutely love the job, duties and working for Paul Mann.

ConsThe pay is sub-par, anchors make the same as folks who enter news into the system for the anchors.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer part-time on air folks a minimum of $20 an hour. It's a pride thing once you get to the level of major market radio broadcasting. Plus, it builds dedication and loyalty.

good days & bad days

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

Prosfirst hand look at life in radio. fast pace environment, the occasional celebrity sighting in office, made some life long friends through this company.

Consa lot of work, for a little pay. felt very unappreciated by sales reps and managers at times. some training, but mostly a dive in and figure it out on your own methodology.

Wall Street Culture at its worst

Sales (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood health insurance. 401k match is OK.

ConsCBS Radio in Minneapolis is a toxic environment. Unreasonable expectations in the sales realm plague the company. Praise is non-existent and criticism is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff to do their jobs. Provide some positive encouragement. Make success a real possibility for your people and don't insult them by saying things like "a dog with a note in its mouth could sell these ratings".

The greatest job I've ever had.

On-Air Talent (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsEvery day that I punched in was a great day. I loved being employed there. Great environment, and just plain fun.

ConsTrying to move up in the company meant waiting for someone to retire, or die.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people that work hard and deserve it. Don't just hire outside people for those rare openings because of their success somewhere else.

Worked for CBS Radio? Contribute to the Community!