CBS Radio

Updated December 11, 2014
3.1

CBS Radio President and CEO Dan Mason
Dan Mason

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere with people who like music (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits for the employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay - must work a second job to pay bills (in 8 reviews)

• Difficult to move up beyond part time in department (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBS Radio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers but the management doesn't put enough time in training new employees.

Cons

They work you until you quit

Better training

Account Executive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CBS Radio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic arsenal of "products" to sell - be it digital components, NTR (such as event sponsorships, concerts, etc), and of course "your station" for terrestrial/broadcast. Hours of 8:30-5:30 are usually very consistent. Freedom to leave the office (encouragement, actually) to cold call/prospect. Great way to learn a lot about many different businesses. Good introduction to advertising/media world.

Cons

Whichever station you land at will ultimately establish whether you enjoy your time there. Management is everything. Any type of "training" is done by random people who fly in and talk about CBS, but there is little to NO training in terms of selling your actual station. You really have to teach yourself as you go. Management is solely focused on making budget, not training it's people. That's why new AE's will come and go every few months, and the company is ok with that. Senior AE's get all the "avails" and ratings-based agency buys, and new AE's get nothing [direct business/cold calling only.] The problem with that is that those clients are the hardest to sell to because they don't have media budgets. If they did, they'd be with an agency and the older guy next to you would be calling on it. It's a bit of a catch-22. Be prepared to make 100 calls/visits for every 10 appointments and 1 sale. And stick with digital, because it's very hard to convince new clients that radio works. You WILL get yelled at. You WILL be ushered off of properties. When you make a sale, it will be fantastic. But remember, that's 1% of the time. All entry radio-jobs are like this in a way, but I'd like to think that at Entercom, Greater Media, Clearchannel, etc - they'd probably take more time to train and guide you. I'd steer clear of CBS if you're a rookie. If you're a senior AE, you know the drill.

Individual station training is non-existent. Spend time with each station once a month and go over new things/events/etc on each other CBS station. It will help tremendously. Also as a general note: a company is only as good as it's people. Sales meetings are all about shaming and budget chasing. We get it. We're trying to bring in revenue. But you don't do that by shaming your AE's. You do that by encouraging them, supporting them, and making them WANT to do better. And that comes with a good attitude. If I call a client and say "I need $30k for q4 or I'm toast" that's not going to go over as well as keeping a smile on my face and genuinely believing I can boost their business. Also take a look at the stations that can't keep AE's. Most of their issues are management problems, not necessarily AE problems.

account executive

I have been working at CBS Radio full-time

Pros

Not the greatest company...its a huge corporation and feels just like that.

Cons

No base pay or car allowance...you will spend a lot of money on gas.

Great experience

Current Employee - Promotions Assistant
    Current Employee - Promotions Assistant

I have been working at CBS Radio part-time

Pros

Good foot in the door. You meet everyone from on air talent to sales teams. Network and you can really move up. They like to hire from within. Management is awesome and fun.

Cons

Pay is low for promotions assistant position. We are out in the field setting up and doing physical work and increasing brand awareness.

Keep it up. Slight increase in pay would be nice. Other than that management is great!

Good People

I worked at CBS Radio full-time

Pros

Fun environment, lots of work but rewarding.

Cons

Lean operation at corporate level means a lot of pressure and work.

Promotions Coordinator

I worked at CBS Radio

Pros

Fun job, got to meet a lot of people.

Cons

Long hours, weekend hours, and very very low pay

Positive intern experience

Former Employee - WFAN in New York, NY
    Former Employee - WFAN in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Radio as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to industry professionals
    Incredible hands-on experience

Cons

Unpaid internship without travel stipend

Sales

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CBS Radio full-time

Pros

You have a lot of things to sell.

Cons

The commission structure is designed in a way that reaching maximum payout is all but unattainable. This is evident in the low number of sales reps who achieve full commission payout. The commission structure sort of reminds me of casino were you know the odds alway favor the house, except it's a job.

This is a public company and the systems are put in place from the top down. The goal of of the radio division is to achieve results for share holders. If you want to make money and you profession is sales, buy the stock but go work somewhere else.

Horrible Upper Management

I worked at CBS Radio full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of products to sell, some good mid-level management, two out of four stations are solid. Creative, fun co-workers (when they're not stressed out).

Cons

A lot of products to sell, upper management is clueless and move in twelve different directions at once, no long range planning, every day is a fire drill.

It is useless to give advice to this company. Corporate only cares about the bottom line so until the bottom line displeases them, no change will happen. But that's what you get when you work for a publicly traded company. One need either deal with it or get out.

They Bring in enthusiastic people and drain them until they quit

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CBS Radio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've made some amazing friends and have had the most memorable memories from my time here.

Cons

I was duped and used here as an intern (free labor). I was naive to think they would give me the jobs they kept promising. I work noon to midnight (for free) My ideas for the website, contests and promos were stolen with no credit given. For two years I believed they would pay me one day until it hit me why would they? I'm working for free. Sure I received free concert tickets made amazing friendships but was used and felt horrible. I returned as a paid account executive, way underpaid and over worked. Lack of communication. No support. VERY LOW WAGES. The company doesn't care for any individual. I witness a co-worker laid off right before her 30 mark and when her shares and investments would be vested. They will never be satisfied only money on their mind. I transferred to the SF office and in 7 months went to 5 goodbye parties and witness 3 more leave. If they would treat their employees with respect they would retain them and thus costing them less money and have a solid foundation for the future. With Radio as a medium in massive limbo in other words no one listens anymore, they should be more kind to those there who may have hope it will continue. I was there for 4 years. Two as a non paid naive intern and two as an under paid account executive.

CBS Radio Photos