CBS

CBS Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

CBS President & CEO CBS Corporation Leslie Moonves

Leslie Moonves

Pros
  • Big company, definitely has good benefits, lots of departments to network with if you know how to (in 7 reviews)

• Fabulous place to work, great people, strong commitment to running a successful business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, long commute, small office (in 6 reviews)

• There is no room for advacement unless you work at one of the corporate offices (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Integrated marketing/Event planning intern

Integrated Marketing/Event Planning Intern (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosflexible schedule and great work culture

Consminimal pay, tough to seek promotions

Great experience working with a highly effective team.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGet to work with really smart people and contribute to high quality products.

ConsTeam are specialized (front-end versus back-end) so you may not gain a wide variety of experience.

Overworked

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits, smart and talented coworkers

ConsSpeaking as an executive assistant, you will likely be overworked unfairly. HR does not care about your needs and will violate confidentiality by telling your bosses about your private conversation with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementEchoing the other reviewer, stop treating your employees like robots who should just put their heads down and work 13 hours a day with no complaints. Improve the culture and company morale by distributing the work evenly and compensating us fairly for our work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tiring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Salary, benefits. Nice group of very talented individuals

ConsNot enough staff. Work hours were not flexible. Hard work was not recognized. Leadership was out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your employees as people, not robots.

A great learning experience

Production (Former Employee) Studio City, CA

ProsThere are a variety of opportunities within CBS. Corporate, Radio, TV.

ConsThe pay scale is a bit top heavy with a lot of high paying salaries, and also low paying, but not a lot in the middle. Depending where you are within the company the work/life balance can be a challenge as it's really a 24/7 operation. The last couple years I was there - there were no raises and a lot of cutbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more employee friendly events, networking and learning experiences.

Finance Department

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou are giving reasonable work hours and are allowed a work/life balance. Management in the department were extremely helpful

ConsThe internship wasn't paid, overwhelming for the first week of working.

OK but lots of red tape

Prosgood people and technologies to be involved in

Conslots of red tape to get projects completed

Reasonably good environment, but always unstable due to the fact they will not hire staff personnel.

Editor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people are wonderful, the facility (TV City, at least) is well maintained. You need to be experienced to work there as they offer very little in the way of training. They do offer health and welfare of a sort to even temporary personnel, but you never feel like you ccan paln for the future.

ConsToo many of the management has never worked anywhere else. The management treats technicians like dirt beneath their feet. If they could, the would eliminate technicians entirely.

Nice

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice environment, good people, good salary

ConsA lot of people working

Advice to Senior ManagementExcelent

Fast-Paced, Harsh Hours

Producer (Current Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsFun coworkers, for the most part. Most are fairly patient and understanding when you're first starting out.
    The opportunity to have your work on a local news station is incredible. Some fans are so loyal, they'll know you by name in a matter of months.
    Honestly, it's a great job to start out with, right out of school.

ConsMove up quickly from part-time positions, but then stagnate just as fast.
    Constant criticism (but that's television, really.)
    Hard hours. Don't bother with a morning shift if you aren't into being awake all night and sleeping during the day.
    Everyone will ignore you at some point, for whatever reason. Everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership and team-building is highly lacking. If one person is falling behind in their job, and it's affecting yours, you can bring it up to the news director, but that doesn't mean they'll do anything about it.

Worked for CBS? Contribute to the Community!