CCB School

John Hahm

Plain

Former Employee - Tutor in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Tutor in New Haven, CT

I worked at CCB School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hired at a fairly decent standing despite student status

Cons

Slightly rigid policies due to necessity for optimal performance

Please take caution in establishing new branches (i.e. Hartford, New Haven)

Avoid.

I worked at CCB School full-time (less than an year)

Pros

—Co-workers are great. They recognize that this is a difficult job and place to work and try to keep each others' heads up as a result. I made many friends during my time here.

Cons

—There is an extremely high turnover rate here. You never know when people will decide to resign or quit altogether. I got the vibe that a lot of people saw this as a transitional job, like something they would do for a short time before moving on to something else, or something that would temporarily pay the bills. Perhaps the turnover rate can be a pro to more ambitious folks, as staying on longer and doing a good job may net you some points with the management, but I saw it as an overall negative contributor to the atmosphere at this place. You feel a bit expendable.

—There is no benefits package, and pay is a bit on the low side. ($14/hr starting out)

—Difficult work/life balance. During the autumn semester, you are expected to work six days a week. This does not take into account the fact that you will often have to grade work on your own time if you want to get it done in a timely manner. You WILL come home tired and/or stressed after each day.

—Little to no training for new employees. After my initial interview, I was told to come in the next day to run a demo lesson. I wasn't notified about what I would have to teach, only that materials would be provided for me. You are required to adhere to pretty rigid policies regarding what you teach and how you teach it, which can be a bit stifling and limiting. There isn't really an established discipline policy here, and it is sorely needed because students can often be rowdy and disruptive.

—The facilities are pretty unsatisfactory. The basement commonly floods during rainy days. There is no lunch area, so students commonly eat in class, which can get messy. Rooms are also quite cramped, considering the amount of students in them. I commonly had problems with procuring enough desks for my students and also had issues walking around my classroom due to how cramped it was. However, the school is moving to a new building, so this may alleviate some of these issues.

—Management is often aloof and disorganized, which is probably the biggest problem here. The boss is a delegator, not a micromanager, which is good in some ways but also bad in that approaching him with a serious issue or complaint will often end with him telling you to see someone else about it. When your issue is addressed, which it rarely is, it is often in a slow manner. Despite this, you get the implicit message that complaining too much about a certain issue may just get you fired.

Didn't spend too much time there but I've definitely had better experiences working elsewhere

I worked at CCB School

Pros

You get to deal wit a lot of different issues since you're working with kids from K-12 and their parents.

Cons

Can overwork their employees sometimes. Bad at micro-management and sometimes it's difficult to see what they're trying to achieve through their work. There was always an aura of mis-communication somewhere that made you feel as if you weren't doing the correct thing or that the management didn't completely trust you for some reason.

Have a better, solid plan in their hiring process to not be understaffed.