CCCS of San Francisco Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
2.8
Kathryn J. Davis

1. Good first job out of college but with recent changes in staffing and no signs of an increase in pay, it's hard to stay.

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco

Pros

1. Location - in the financial district, close to Bart.
    2. Relaxed environment (for the most part) - no need to dress up super fancy every day.
    3. As a credit counselor, you get a good mix of clients. When you have a really good session (i.e. the client actually listens to your advice), you feel good about helping others, which is what the company stands for.

Cons

1. With recent layoff of telecommuters, workload was doubled and no pay increase was in the horizon.
    2. You are tied to your desk even though it seems like you really aren't. They expect you to be on the "infoline" if you get a cancellation so in reality, you don't have much down time to finish other work.
    3. Saturdays! Management recently changed how Saturday appointments were scheduled so working a Saturday, when there is less staff to pass clients to, is WAY harder than working a normal weekday. I hated them.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to allow existing counselors a chance to breathe!

2. Not always appreciated for my efforts.

Current Employee - Program Services Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Services Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CCCS of San Francisco full-time

Pros

The co-workers here are great. They are very genuine people who want to make a difference in the world and many of them have a strong work ethic. I appreciate that for the most part it is a positive working environment and I have never had a problem with office gossip. I liked that we have had 100% employer paid benefits for up until recently. I also like being able to talk with people from all over the country and I feel that I have really developed solid customer service skills. It has been rewarding helping people with their financial situations and I've felt that I've made an impact.

Cons

My main issue with the company is that the management tends to give more negative feedback rather that showing appreciation for the hard work that all the counselors give every day. This is a demanding job and unfortunately, we are not compensated at a level that reflects that. I had once seen that the CEO makes a tremendous amount of money and this is not fair compared to what we earn as employees. I don't believe that the quality improvement process is fair and we are often targeted for small reasons. We have had a lot of benefit cutbacks in the recent years including no bonuses, scaled down parties, no gift cards anymore (an a new incentive program that is virtually impossible to obtain). In addition, there is really no room for growth in the company and you cannot develop fully as a professional beyond the counseling role. The whole feeling of the company has changed recently because so many people in management have retired.

Advice to Management

Maintain an open door policy and truly listen to what your counselors have to say. Learn to appreciate them fully for all the hard work they do and be able to give them positive feedback along with the negative feedback. Create more opportunities for growth and promotion within the company. Maintain incentives that are realistic and bring back small acts of appreciation - those go a long way.

3. Good cause, low pay

Former Employee - Manager Level Position
    Former Employee - Manager Level Position

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission that most of the employees believe in. If you are in any type of management role, you will have lots of flexibility which compensates for the pay. Excellent benefits if you don't have dependents

Cons

The pay isn't great for San Francisco

Advice to Management

Increase staff pay

5. Great mission, terrible management

Current Employee - Credit Counselor
    Current Employee - Credit Counselor

I have been working at CCCS of San Francisco

Pros

You get training in skills that are very useful, and get to people become financially empowered.

Cons

This agency has been going through a merger for a year now and as a result many employees don't even know which side of the agency they work for, or which name to say when they answer phones. I had 4 different supervisors in 1.5 years. Salaries for counselors (and not management) have been frozen, and some reduced. The maximum raise you can receive at your yearly review is 2.5%...which is pennies. It's a thankless job, and if you're good at it you are rewarded with an ever-growing work load.

Advice to Management

Compensate people fairly and offer them opportunities for professional growth. Pay increases should at least keep pace with inflation. Most of your counselors make SO LITTLE MONEY that they can't qualify for the housing assistance that you help clients with.

6. A dead end job where you do deal with stressed out people.

Former Employee - Freddie Mac Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Freddie Mac Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to help people. People thank you alot for your help. They're pretty easy breezy about sick days. You get some good information about how to handle debt

Cons

You start out around 17 and won't go higher than around 20 a hour. The incentive programs are impossible to achieve...literally impossible, no one has ever gotten the bonus before. You deal with alot of stressed out, drugged up people who cry. The worse part about this job is that you have to tell these emotionally destroyed people bad news like short sell there home. The shelf life of a counselor in Freddie Mac is less than a year. I would also say that the bums who beg for money on the street make more money than you and sleep better at night.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. Credit and Housing Counselor

Current Employee - Credit and Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Credit and Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CCCS of San Francisco

Pros

Non-stressful work. Fun talking with clients. You get great skills that are transferable into the financial industry if you don't have any work experience in that field. I was not originally a personal financial advisor, but was I seeking a career change and they gave me a shot.

Cons

Not getting paid enough. If I got paid more, I'd stay here forever, but I live in SF, which is the most expensive place to live in the whole country it seems.

Advice to Management

Find a way to pay people more and focus on talented individuals that you don't want to leave.

2 stars for pay & good Benefits but zero corrupt management

Former Employee - Credit Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working here and there was a big group of us who actually enjoyed what we did. Wage was good along with the benefits.Then there were lay offs due to change in management

Cons

No room for promotion for people placed in lower paid positions who are minorities. As these people are the first to get laid off despite coming to work on time and working hard. I know... I sat and watched more than a few.

Advice to Management

If you really want to help the community, promote diversity and not just in lower paid positions.

Credit and Housing Counselor

Former Employee - Credit and Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Credit and Housing Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good starter job right after college, you learn a lot of applicable information regarding credit and housing, you get to help people

Cons

hard to obtain advancement in this company since it it small, performance reviews are always a mystery, leadership does not listen to counselors, lots of hours put in with not that much reward for the counselor

Advice to Management

listen to your counselors, increase the pay

10. CCCS of San Francisco provided me with a positive and enriching summer experience.

Former Employee - Housing Contact Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Housing Contact Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

• CCCS offers a great community of motivated, yet down-to-earth people.
    • Stellar leadership, that legitimately cares about it’s employees experience and growth
    • A positive and upbeat environment
    • Great training
    • Solid incentives on top of salary (not commission based)

Cons

• Job is a bit repetitive, and I would have appreciated a larger range of responsibilities, but perhaps this is just a personal preference.

Advice to Management

• Continue to grow close with your employees. Community is one of the great assets of CCCS, and it should be protected.

Nonprofit with good intentions and cutthroat employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CCCS of San Francisco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's right next to the Montgomery BART station in San Francisco, so commute is great and lots of awesome restaurants and other places nearby in the financial district.

Cons

Drama and interoffice politics, backstabbing and little job security. Pay is low, though one would expect that at a nonprofit.

Advice to Management

To the founder: Reach out to employees, spend time with them, get to know them and encourage them to come talk to you. Make it easy for them to talk to you by attending events or even rolling through their work areas from time to time. Seek out their opinions and be responsive to their needs.