CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation)
www.ccfa.org New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) President Richard Geswell

Richard Geswell

Great cause

Walk Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMission, people and impact of work

ConsLong hours and at times unfocused

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused

Potential to be a better company

Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to make own work schedule/not typical 9-5 job, great health benefits, continued education provided at no additional cost

ConsPressure to meet goals, long hours, working on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge your employees more often and don't focus on the negative so much

If I had the ability, I would give no stars.

Executive Director (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsNone. They say hello to you at the door.

ConsThis organization, which I belonged to for more than ten years, gave me the boot because of a reorganization. They never supported me.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hurting the patients that they are supposed to be helping.

Endurance Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros-Flexible schedule: the ability to work from home is very appealing, but what this essentially means is that you work 24/7. Know that you need to be able to regulate yourself and walk away from your laptop for a while each day. But it is great to be able to work from your living room in your yoga pants.

-The volunteers. As a Team Challenge "endurance manager," the volunteers who sign up to raise money are generally wonderful people. These volunteers typically really believe in the organization mission and are really inspirational people. So although CCFA management is terrible, you get to work with nice people (as you convince them to raise thousands of dollars for a charity with terrible organization).

-Locations. Being able to work with people outdoors and help individuals accomplish a half marathon while raising money was rewarding. Endurance managers are also able to travel to destination races with their teams if they reach the revenue goals.

Cons-Poor management- on almost every scale. Local offices suffer from petty in-fighting and adolescent political jockeying. National programs discourage individuals from taking initiative and tell employees to not take on extra projects or help out with other program responsibilities. Individuals are hired and/or promoted based more on politics than their abilities to actually contribute to the organization. In my time there, I saw numerous extraordinarily talented and passionate people quit or not be hired based on management's personal preferences and "you scratch my back" practices. It's shameful.

-Secrecy/ No transparency. Discussing salaries is "prohibited" - and with good reason. A quick look at local budgets reveals there are huge discrepancies. Everyone had to sign non-disclosure agreements regarding company information after several employees brought this up locally. No one knows what's going with events/ programs/ revenue goals - management doesn't communicate.

-Poor technology utilization. The conference calls are a joke: our president can't figure out the mute button and the company is too cheap to invest in group call technology. CCFA spent a ton of money on Salesforce, but it's not being used efficiently.

-Discouraging environment. Incentives are offered and not awarded. Target goals are constantly changed - so a revenue budget can start at $150,000 annually but be bumped up to $200,000 with a few weeks notice. Upper management will use ideas without giving credit- so there's no incentive to go above and beyond because your manager will just take credit for your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current policies and practices are hurting the patients suffering from terrible diseases.
    Make changes that focus on the patients that CCFA is supposed to be benefitting:

-Hire/promote based on qualifications.
    -Award salary based on qualifications.
    -Don't change employee expectations mid-season.
    -Be transparent, and take responsibility for your own decisions, rather than dumping it on low-level employees. Be consistent.
    -Award and recognize hard work (not superficially, but by promoting and structurally benefitting those employees).
    -Create a cohesive, consistent mission and implementation.

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

Prosgreat people, lots of creative freedom, fun projects, flexible schedule

Consunit credit only, no pay

Good work/life balance but lots of pressure to meet revenue goals.

ProsGood work/life balance. Great health benefits.

ConsLots of pressure to meet revenue goals.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsState of the art systems
    Large budgeting for event planning and materials
    Ability to work from home

ConsNot consistent in message to employees
    Little room to grow an area without some sort of penalty
    Lived in my car for almost 2 years - put 20,000 miles in a year

Advice to Senior ManagementLive in the areas that upper level mgmt oversee to get a better feel for the market.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi had i lot of great experience working there

Consfeels a bit isolated needs more interaction

Excellent Skill Builder

Endurance Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis position is great if you want to build your skills. It is not an easy job and not one for someone that wants 9-5, M-F. You will learn a lot about everything. There is a little travel (to great places) involved. You will build great relationships with fantastic people. Management is helpful and tries to coach you to succeed. Most people have a real passion for the mission.

ConsSometimes irregular/long hours. Technology issues. Pressure to meet specific goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hard work of the professional staff more. Even those that don't make their goals. We all work extremely hard.

Walk Manager

Walk Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking to fulfill the mission and meeting some incredible families along the way. Establishing relationships with constituents and seeing how your day to day work positively impacts their life is the one inspiring thing about working for CCFA.

Cons-There is little to no support when you start with CCFA. You will go through several routine conference calls to introduce databases, social media policies, mission, etc. However other than this, don't expect training or guidance from your superiors. Sink or swim.

-Support from national staff and chapter staff is VERY limited. If you join CCFA expect to run a one-man show. This is not an environment that encourages team work or camaraderie. You will be responsible for a yielding a significant amount of revenue for the foundation with little to no support. If you do meet your budget goals, don't expect to be rewarded or even acknowledged for your accomplishment or hard work.

-Investing in current staff (via professional growth opportunities, work-life balance, compensation, etc.) is not a priority.

-Unfortunately there is an overwhelming sense of frustration among staff at CCFA due to lack of appreciation, resources, & support from national staff. This sentiment can be deflating and quite frankly, a shame. Typically one goes into the non-profit sector to make a positive mark on the world... don't expect to gain this from working for CCFA.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your employees to good to the organization, do good to those employees. Investing in staff can only lead to long term improvement, increased efficiency and success.

Worked for CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) CEO Richard Geswell. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by CCFA (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) employees.