CCP

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

Great workplace

Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time

ProsGood morale , people are great , perks are good , assignments are always interesting and CCP is very current in the technology used

ConsUpper management keeps changing people / roles , Some managers do not have communications skills just because they have worked there from the start they believe they are something special.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing a great job , the people at ccp are following great leaders

It's a family, unless you're not part of the family.

ProsTons of great co-workers
Copious time off
Excellent benefits and perks (company provides breakfast and lunch daily)
Passionate people trying to churn out a good product

ConsPost-2011 layoff, hours required became unmanageable for several departments who were cut in half or worse.
Icelandic management has a tendency to halt progress on all other projects to fix their mistakes with EVE by taking over whole development teams for months at a time.
Tendency to 're-invent the wheel' with everything, even when there are proven, useful tools in the marketplace already.
Very little follow-through on in-house tools. Little to no maintenance done, until someone needs it again, and then it becomes a 6 month to 6 year undertaking.
Not a ton of support if you are struggling with the hours and workload. Work harder, not smarter.
Frequent burnout of employees creates a lot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate who you place in charge, and if they are REALLY qualified for the job.

Spent three years watching my career skills degrade

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company-provided meals were outstanding. Company has devotion to producing top shelf visuals. Concerned about developing a strong company culture. Has positive attitudes regarding sex and gender expression issues.

ConsNo private work spaces ... everything out in open. Move to new offices in Atlanta created noise issues. Ongoing tendency to reinvent the wheel as far as tech and graphics go. There was a "not invented here" attitude whenever a new lead level manager took over a department resulting in multiple do-overs in game design and graphics during my tenure. Few female developers in any career discipline in US offices, especially after 2011 layoff. Squeaky wheel focus of Icelandic management team constantly hampered development of US based project.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of the financial focus on leisure activities and put it into recruiting developers at competitive salaries. Simplify investment in the company for all employees. Create clear growth opportunities for employees within the company. Provide non-discriminatory benefits for US employees.

Managers should be replaced

I worked at CCP full-time

ProsFree lunch everyday, sometime breakfast and dinner as well. Easy to get a day off no matter what.

ConsManagers are not good in general especially Icelanders and good managers are leaving the company. If you are not Icelander, you may be sometime intimidated. Some people do unnecessary traveling and earning money from per diem. No career path.

Extremely laid back, perhaps too much so.

Game Master (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at CCP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment if you're self motivated. Plenty of great benefits and laid back environment.

ConsCronyism. If you're not Icelandic and work on EVE, get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the deadweight.

Fantastic people, regrettable politics.

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTalented, passionate people working there. Easy to make great friends. Fantastic folks to work with.

A real love for making games that people want to play.

Even when laying employees off, they provided a great deal of support in the process: HR went above and beyond to help place former employees where they could.

Pay wasn't super-competitive, but benefits like the cantina are incredible.

ConsNot enough trust given to the American employees. We had veterans who'd been in the field for a decade or more being told their experience didn't mean anything; they had to do things in accordance with the Reykjavik way. There was a distinct feeling of the Old Boys Club.

Difficult to advance internally. Some positions had no job descriptions attached to them -- nothing outlining their responsibilities and skillsets -- for years.

Management had difficulty accepting the possibility they might be wrong. The most heartfelt admission of making mistakes happened only when 20% of the company had to be let go. By then, it was too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are ways that CCP excels by not doing things the way that other companies do things. There are also weaknesses in the company that come from the same attitude. Please, look critically at the internal practices. Building EVE is something to be rightfully proud of. But heavy employee dissatisfaction is a grave warning sign that something is continually going wrong, not something to be shrugged off and set on the back burner.

Right place, wrong time.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome really great, passionate coworkers.

ConsWeak and inexperienced senior management. Too much nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they're worth, make them feel valued, and they will stay loyal.

Fun but Frustrating

Administrative Team (Former Employee)
Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people at this company were amazing. There was a very strong social atmosphere that encouraged everyone to get to know each other, spend some non-work time together, and the working relationships with most of the people flourished because of it.

ConsThere were some issues with management communication and a disconnect between some upper management with the lower level employees. Some decisions that were made the employees feel left out or confused because it affected them the most.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure you reward hard working people and really listen to them when they have advice on a position or can best communicate the needs of that position. They are the people who are performing the tasks daily, so they would know best the constraints and feasibility of requests. Also, allow your staff to progress within the company. If they shine, give them the opportunity to move up and take on more responsibilities.

Great coworkers but bad salary

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGetting industry experience and getting a foot in the industry

ConsPoor salary and a upper management that doesn't listen to its employees or customers.

Fun and nice~

Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at CCP

ProsGood meals, good fun people.

ConsCommunication between manager level people and working level people.

Worked for CCP? Contribute to the Community!

CCP Videos

CCP – Why Work for Us?

CCP was founded in the summer of 1997 with the goal of becoming a leading massively multiplayer game company. With the launch of EVE Online in May 2003, CCP has established itself as one of the leading companies in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CCP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson . All 47 reviews posted anonymously by CCP employees.