CCP Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.2

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson
Hilmar Veigar Pétursson

Pros
  • The work environment is pretty good, apart from the air-conditioning (in 9 reviews)

• Plenty of great benefits and laid back environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management is totally clueless (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management are fond of their catchphrases and "motivational" words (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Incompetent, lying, unaccountable management causing exodus of talent

Former Employee - Senior Programmer  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch, used to have an incredible sense of community. Used to be a pretty good place until mid-2013.

Cons

American management from EA has been brought in to gut the studio. In less than a year this went from a stellar place to work, to absolutely terrible. Three layoffs in six months, including founders and architects, tells employees "you are expendable and we are not accountable." There are numerous instances of C-level executives lying directly to your face. Incompetent management from top to bottom, and there is no potential to change things. The people who care have left or been forced out. There are a handful of great developers there, but fewer every month.

They also pay pretty poorly.

Just sell the company and be done with it.

A company going down the drain fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent people down on the ground level, smart people with passion, creativity, drive, and intelligence. Lunches every day that range from good to excellent, dinner twice a week. The company understands the balance between personal and company time and does not try to force people into draining crunches.

Cons

The executive level is ridiculously out of touch. Salaries are below industry average and promotions are arbitrary and meager. There is a lot of friction between different departments that is rarely resolved, merely left to simmer and cause further resentment. Grandiose, expensive ideas with little return are given precedence over smart, creative plans which would have large impacts without causing such large media splashes.

Replace the executive decision makers entirely. Actually keep promises as it relates to the job security of the company. Allow the young, smart people internally to run things.

Good beginning, got bad as it grew.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was very happy working there for a few years, while it still had the startup vibe. Nice people and great company culture. Was like a family.

Cons

Grew too fast, too many cooks stirring too many pots. Office politics creating a bad working environment after it grew into a multinational corporation.

Get your act together, get rid of the overburdened middle management layers chaff, simplify your focus and narrow your goals or you'll bleed to death from a thousand cuts, made by the many failed projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Team, questionable executive team

I worked at CCP

Pros

Some of the smartest, most motivated people I've ever worked with.
    Flexi-time, free breakfasts & lunches, dinner twice a week.
    Nice social events, really feel like everyone is pulling together to deliver something we can all be proud of

Cons

I heard reports that if you are not on the flagship game (EVE-Online) and/or based in Reykjavik you regularly get the short end of the stick, as borne out by the fate of the World of Darkness game.

Declining sandbox pioneers

Current Employee - Producer  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Current Employee - Producer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What attracts people to CCP is EVE Online, as a game and as a unique, sandbox MMO design flagship. The people are friendly and the work environment used to be ambitious, free of politics and a good combination of working hard, partying hard. Company's grassroots culture reflects the ambitious and strong design vision. The company generally presents itself well towards the players, with honesty and as much transparency as it can. Tech talent especially is awesome.

Cons

Executive and senior management has been the failure point of CCP for years. Last years have been sadly a string of failed releases due to executive management's business decisions, and poor ability to support and provide experienced steering for the projects. In practice the same board that handles day-to-day operations from HR to Marketing has acted as the steering committee and purse strings for entire new game projects. Recent external executive hires are opposed to the company culture and game design. The dev staff is poorly supported by the processes and spread thin, compensated below industry average and still somehow manages to perform extremely well. Two big rounds of layoffs and studio closures have resulted from these systemic mistakes.

It's hard to look in the mirror, but upper management should carry their responsibility over all these failures too.

A major disappointment

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Current Employee - Programmer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at CCP for 6 years I have some met the most talented persons in the game industry.

The offices, food and environment is good.

You get to work with an interesting codebase and emerging technologies

Cons

Management is delusional and leading the company into the ground.

Executive management has been involved in games for so many years that I think they are bored with EVE Online. This means constant side projects and half bakr idea that waste the companies time,

Salary levels are below industry standard and Iceland is not cheap to live.

Take responsibility for failures of the past.

Make the management changes needed and do not ignore the problems all around you.

CCP hype

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I met good people at CCP that I'm honoured to call my friends. (By the way, almost all of them have also resigned for the same reasons as I)

Cons

I'm having a hard time writing anything good about CCP but this part could be endless.
    If you know the "right" people at CCP then you can, if that is what you really want, almost do whatever you want. If you are a member of the "gang" you're most likely an "yes" man and that's why you are apart of the "gang".
    CCP also does not pay well, they are far from paying what their competitors are paying.
    There is no work/life balance and CCP expects you to be available at all times without getting a dime for it.

One of the reasons I resigned is the fact that the management team doesn't hesitate to lie and do whatever is needed to get their will. I really mean "whatever is needed". I have so many horror stories about how CCP treats their employees but I'm not going to bore you to death will that all here.

I've also been a part of a team interviewing new employees and they don't hesitate to lie about the job and the company.

There is absolutely no ownership of products, services and procedures. In fact procedures don't exist at CCP.
    You will get overruled by the management team over and over again. It's their way or their way, no other options available.

I don't know where to begin...
    Personally I think the best solution for CCP is that the C-level gets fired, including the CEO. The CEO is most likely the most delusional person of them all.
    Stop firing the employees that are making your products and are doing a great job and stop hiring more middle management people.

Do more, learn less.

Former Employee - Customer Support  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at CCP full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide breakfast, lunch in office building, plus some trips.

Cons

If you could do 10, they wish you do 15, when you tried your best to do 15, they tell you to do 20...and another circle for ever. They want the last drop of your blood.
    The daily work is boring even you're working in a game company. All you can learn is from the game, then nothing else. Boring, boring everyday.

When the managers look them in a mirror, they saw a lion. But actually there is a kitty standing there. They think they can control the whole game industry, actually they control nothing.
    It's hard for them to make money for the company. They don't wanna face this thing instead of concentrate on the performance of everyone's progress.
    You know that they squeezed out the last drop of our blood everyday and even more they want you to learn something that doesn't related to your work! They want you to be able to do another job that has nothing can do in your daily work!
    HOW ridiculous that is! I don't know what on the earth they're thinking about!
    Why don't they concentrate on making more money instead of concentrate on every poor guy in here?
    I think the point of view of game industry of the managers or the directors are abslouately WRONG!

They love their lame customer support policy instead of love the players! They will never do things to make the players happy

Format your brains first can make things better.
    First things first, change the lame rules! You kicked out the players from EVE everyday!
    Reimburse the ships of every PVE players! For the PVP players, you may fine for some ISK then Give back their ship also!
    Don't do the pointless thing ever again. Stop updating the game twice each year, the only benefit to do this is cost more money and wasting the time of customer support and QA teams.

Have you guys ever checked out the customer review of Dust 514 on amazon?
    I can predict that the World of Darkness will do the same.

Just stick on your work of EVE, and nothing more!

Extremely frustrating

I worked at CCP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Day to day environment perkwise is pretty nice. Decent food, coffee, snacks, laid back deadline environment, nearly no crunch while I was there.

Cons

Completely lacking in cohesive or competent vision. Upper management stabs in the dark for an idea, then lets the lowest level employees meander around toward that goal til it changes or enough time passes something vaguely shipable comes out. No prototyping of game design, way too much focus on visuals, and feature ideas are picked based on what management thinks would be cool rather than any market knowledge.

Replace yourselves with people knowledgeable about game design and managing large teams. Far too much work is thrown out, effort wasted, and designs implemented without any thought. Art Direction needs to be based on more objectivity and less subjective fiefdom.

A company that has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people around you are intelligent and highly skilled - always willing to give advice or lend a hand.

The company offices are very family friendly, and the flexible working hours allow for personal errands to be run whenever needed.

Cons

Pay scales are some of the worst I have heard of. Your motivation for working here better be something other than money.

Senior management are fond of their catchphrases and "motivational" words. This years entries are "Responsibility" and "Accountability". 2 things they themselves are not capable of accepting. So much easier to fire the underlings (2 weeks before Christmas!) than accept that they are the ones that drove the project into the ground through mis-management.

Start actually taking responsibility for the failures the company has experienced. Keeping the same management on a project that has "failed" is not going to magically fix it.

Worked for CCP? Contribute to the Community!