CDC

Be The First To
Add Photos

CDC Director Thomas R Frieden MD MPH

Thomas R Frieden MD MPH

Pros
  • I great place to learn about public health(in 17 reviews)

• Work-life balance is amazing and benefits are some of the best I've ever seen(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Government work is slow; there's a lot of red tape(in 9 reviews)

• Very Political, Budget time is stressful/CRs/furloughs, No cost of living raises in years(in 3 reviews)

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work.

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsVery bright colleagues, dedicated workers.

ConsRed tape. Congress has is in for federal workers which has resulted in pay freezes.

You get out what you put in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you want to learn and are willing to work, CDC can be a rewarding experience. Lots of smart people collaborating in interesting projects, plenty of activities and learning experiences to get involved with.

ConsGovernment work is slow; there's a lot of red tape. I've found that I much prefer small non-profit work to federal bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for people to do their jobs by bending the rules a little bit... especially the trivial ones.

Awesome for Public Health professionals

Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork-life balance is amazing and benefits are some of the best I've ever seen.

ConsNo clear position description to outline specific duties. Staff wear many "hats".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ORISE Fellow (Researcher)

ORISE Fellow (Masters Level) (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSmart people, lots of projects, opportunities for training, good work life balance.

ConsProjects move slowly, lots of bureaucracy, difficult to advance or change paths. For ORISE Fellows specifically, no direct path to becoming an FTE or moving into other long term opportunities. Difficult to move forward if you are not interested in pursuing a PhD

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more of an effort train and create opportunities for the youngest employees. Succession planning and career planning are very important and all too often completely neglected.

Remarkable mentors

Research Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLeading United States Public Health Agency
    Exceptional mentorship - my bosses organized 8 informational interviews across three branches providing a remarkable networking opportunity and helped me find my next position
    Opportunities for lateral movement
    Exceptional work/life balance - on site childcare, fitness classes, opportunities for travel

ConsSlow pace of progress
    Limited hands on interaction with external communities
    Must have PhD for career progression

Excellent, a great and awesome government company to work for.

Executive Administrative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat work/life balance and excellent pay.

ConsNothing needed, I was very satisfied with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Internship

Graduate Research Intern (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI have been interning for a year with no compensation but so far it has been worth it. Even though I have been unable to find a job at CDC it has given me really valuable experience and is definitely an "eye-raiser" on my resume.

ConsHard to get a job, or fellowship if you are coming from an unpaid internship.

Great Place for a Career

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTelework, Benefits, 401K, Training Opps

ConsVery Political, Budget time is stressful/CRs/furloughs, No cost of living raises in years

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees--especially ground floor

Overall, CDC is a great organization, but it is hindered by it's place within the federal political bureaucracy.

Orise Fellow (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere is a good work-life balance, and it seems that many people are enthusiastic about the mission of the organization.

ConsThe bureaucracy can be stifling at times, and some people seem to stay at the job simply because they have little motivation to do anything else and it is very difficult to get rid of them for simply doing mediocre work.

Contractor--Meeting Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGenerally good, relaxed atmosphere
    Casual attire
    Free fitness center
    Open to telework days
    No one works overtime as a contractor

ConsDepending on which branch you work for, contractors can be treated like 2nd class employees. If space is tight, they have 2 people to a cube.. There is no privacy at all. Doesn't matter what level you are. If govt shuts down, contractors will not be paid although full-timers most often get back pay. The continuity of your contract depends on your CDC manager. There could be breaks in service (unpaid.) if they don't submit your paperwork timely. No probable advancement. Some centers more open to than others to bringing you on full time. Some people work there 5 plus years with no raises, no promotions, no change in PTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow contractors doing a good job that they are valued. Stress teamwork and communication, too many people are the loner scientist type and don't know how to manage, but they are given that job.

Worked for CDC? Contribute to the Community!