CDI

Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

CDI President and CEO H. Paulett Eberhart
H. Paulett Eberhart

Pros
  • Paid on time, worked with an amazing team in San Francisco remotely, for one of their clients (in 4 reviews)

• Perks are standard and work life balance is usually good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a contract job no benefits, no paid time off, health insurance is full price (in 7 reviews)

• No support when trying to make the switch from contract to hire to being hired (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

OK

I have been working at CDI

Pros

OK, pays on time and weekly basis

Cons

No Future, no holiday pays

Increase the salary each year

A challenging education

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at CDI

Pros

Fast paced environment with tremendous responsibility due to both decreased employee morale associated with recent corporate restructure, and increase workload/responsibility assoc. w/ the same.

Cons

Beware of rogue managers w/ little disregard for appropriate behavior (race, gender- it's all up for grabs. HR has demonstrated that they don't care if you're inappropriate and disrespectful, as long as you get the job done)

Transition your culture into the 21st century. Stop letting good talent move on to greener pastures in search of environments absent of the severe abuse your deficient culture condones and even nurtures.

They'll suck everything they can get out of you, but there are actually worse jobs

I worked at CDI as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The weekly pay is nice, I'll admit. My co-workers and immediate management are fun people who really care about the work we do. People get moved around so often that you get to learn lots of different things - well, rigid processes and new ways to track every minute you can bill, mostly, but there is opportunity for some real learning if you try. The hours are as flexible as they can allow, as long as you do your job. There is some prestige in working for the company we contract to, but we're discouraged from telling anyone who it is, because they don't want CDI riding their coattails.

Locally, people care and do their best to train you. If the local group wasn't trying so hard, there's no way I would have lasted this long. They do care, they just have zero support from corporate.

Cons

Corporate won't pay for our group to get free coffee like the real employees, and at our small building there's no one to sell us coffee, so this whole group of IT people has to watch other people drink coffee but can only bring their own. Soda too.

That's really just adding insult to injury though as the benefits are crazy expensive. I pay $600 per month for just myself, with an $8000 out of pocket cap. That's right, my medical is $7,200-15,000 per year. No 401k matching. VERY few raises. No upward mobility after 3-4 years. Culture of "get the work done even if you work a few hours for free, we'll make it up to you" but it rarely gets made up to you, and they're very careful to never say it out loud so you can't call them on it. Company potlucks instead of parties because there's no funding.

Corporate folks come by once a year, give you cold bagels and bottled water, and make you watch slides about their grand plans that never affect you in the least. We're encouraged to submit questions ahead of time so they can be vetted and we can sound interested but not angry.

After a few years of unfulfilled promises, most people realize they can do the same work for more money elsewhere, and off they go.

Don't come tell everyone that they're getting an 8% pay cut across the board, then come back a few months later to talk about how corporate profits were up.

Buyer

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at CDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Company to work for they have good representatives. Unlike some agencys like CDI you can understand the representatives. One thing they are very up on is safety and have weekly safety e-mails. They very informative and entertaining.

Cons

They are very hand off once you are placed. Could be a con or pro for some people. The supervisors they have could be a little more friendly and be able to explain things better.

none

Good experience.

Former Employee - BU Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - BU Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CDI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement in the outsourcing group. Able to develop good skills in CAD design and drafting as well as management.

Cons

Corporate mgmt a bit out of touch with local branches. Financial information not timely. Corporate mgmt changes made without local involvement.

Communicate better with local offices.

Life as a contractor

Current Employee - Drafter in Fort Payne, AL
    Current Employee - Drafter in Fort Payne, AL

I have been working at CDI as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great! People are friendly. Work on your own.

Cons

Insurance cost is outrageous and coverage is poor. NO benefits!

CDI is responsive and proactive

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at CDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Perks are standard and work life balance is usually good.

Cons

Don't find anything negative to say.. doesn't mean is above par.

Worst company that I ever worked for

Current Employee - Systems Management Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Management Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CDI as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Contracts with very large companies.

Cons

Poor management. Always cutting your contractual agreed pay rate with no notice. CDI does not look out for its contractors. They are afraid to support the contractors. Several furloughs and as much as 30% cut in pay quarterly. Sometimes working 10 out of the 12 months of the year. Don't waste your time with CDI.

Contractors are keeping you in business. You should stand up for your employees against client furlough days and pay cuts. Use your leverage and put an end to the sucking up to your clients

Good people but lacking in direction

I worked at CDI

Pros

Flexibility (both hours location), pay,

Cons

Instability (projects and managers), benefits

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at CDI as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The CDI University is the best I have seen so far

Cons

Need to communicate the end of contract better with employee's to help them plan ahead

None