CDM Media Reviews

Reset
2.1
CDM Media CEO Glenn Willis
Glenn Willis

Great company that's growing fast with inspiring leadership! Coming to work is a delight.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, great perks, fun and enthusiastic work pace, beer (or wine!) on Fridays and incredible global travel opportunities. Always busy with our cool business model that offers lots of opportunities for growth. Global company that promotes diversity and has off the charts vacation policy, not to mention set breaks during the work day.

The CEO is beyond approachable and candid with our growth and challenges. Heavy team-driven environment that's fun and social. I look forward to coming into work and leaving feeling valued and fulfilled.

Cons

None yet, just to continue growing the team to keep up!

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the team like you are, it's a treat to be heard and feel so involved.

KARMA

Former Employee - CIO Relationship Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CIO Relationship Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only Pro I can think of is getting PTO and a week-break for Christmas.

Cons

-no matter what sex you are or your age, be sure that you will be treated like a child
    -they tell you what you want to hear but it will never happen
    -no such thing as personal growth
    -be prepared to stand up all day while dialing, b/c if you don't then "your not working hard" they will take your chair from underneath you to make you stand
    -if you have a large commission check coming soon, they will either fire you before you get paid on it or not pay you the correct amount and tell you they will fix it but it doesn't happen
    -they change your base salary and commission structure constantly

Advice to Management

Welcome to America! You can not treat us hard working American's like dogs and think you will get away with it. You can not come to America and not abide by our Laws and think you can get away with it. You can not work us so hard without paying us. You can not swear, scream, yell, embarrass and harass American's and think you can get away with it. *KARMA* She WILL come knocking one day!

Dreadful, Awful, Terrible, Shocking, Appalling, Disgraceful, Hopeless, Pitiful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hmmmm..... I thought about this actually long and hard and there are none to talk about and will have never have any to talk about.

Cons

If the title of my review didn't sum it up enough for you, then let me just say look at linkedin and take a look at how many employees have come and gone from this company over the last 3 years. The longest tendered employees are the people who work for GW and can't leave him because he has them by the balls on their work visas. This company burns and turns people faster than a new york minute. Oh and if you are dumb enough, like I was to actually go work for these buffoons then do yourself a favor and make sure you carry around a video recorder with you at work because there is plenty of shady business dealings taking place, along with sexual harassment. On top of all that fun stuff be prepared to fight with HR i.e. GW over all the commissions that you earned as well. He also makes a habit of changing peoples base salaries at any minute so be prepared for that as well. Unless your local Mcds isn't hiring, I would run away from this place as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Give it up and move back to whatever hell hole you crawled out of in the UK and leave Chicago. I'm sure the feds will catch you soon enough and throw you in jail for a long time hopefully. You are the scum of the earth

5. Very Good but not without its share of ups and downs

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High growth and youthful dynamic across the entire office. CDM has a real "go getter" and entrepreneurial vibe/culture. For those that are looking for more than just a day to day routine and looking for a company that will reward hard work and effort and not just turning up, then CDM is a great shape to provide you with a platform to build. Sales are infrequent but the commission structure more than compensates for 6-8 week droughts in between deals. Also the way the company and management looks after accounts business and growing this to huge deals can quickly accelerate earnings. Management are mainly British but fun to work with and quirky. Culture is definitely work hard and play hard with lots of charity and office days out so that everyone knows one another and generally everyone respects and gets on with one another.

Cons

Results are hard to come by given the nature of event sales industry as lots of buyer decisions are done in cycle. A couple of the managers lack understanding that there is a bigger picture and need to understand working as a team vs individual gain will get them to positions they want quicker. Its definitely a company transitioning from small startup to key industry player so sometimes things take a little longer than you might want, that said you do get what you need in weeks vs months so maybe more patience on my side was needed here. There are some great sales people to learn both new business and accounts pitching from but you need to navigate some of the office politics which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

More positive communications and less office gossip. You are a team and there is huge potential if you can keep and attract top talent. You need to ensure that general communications are upbeat and understand how to support staff to get best results. As for the gossip this comes in any company and there will always be some jousting between individuals. So my advice here would be unite as a team and stop the one or two members that feel the need to gossip and put others down as it is negative and holding all back.

6. You get out what you put in

I have been working at CDM Media full-time

Pros

Good support from colleagues and managers. Talented group with nice open sales floor and good communication between the sales teams. Product that CDM delivers is very high quality vs competing events and the events are ran exceptionally well which has led to CDM's success. Sales floor buzz can be amazing when it's full.

Cons

Company needs to grow in all areas in order to develop the talented group it has. It is currently too "lean"

Advice to Management

Trust in the team you have and don't change the culture due to some past employees which have taken advantage of CDM.

7. moving the needle

I have been working at CDM Media full-time

Pros

The company values individuals who give 100% effort. Hands on coaching from managers. Managers are very energetic, and try to spread the energy across the sales floor. Colleagues are also hands on in supporting each other, whether it be through insight on certain leads from past experiences or coaching each other through calls. Great environment when the floor is buzzing.

The product is focused more on content/caliber than it is on "fluff" that some competing companies focus on (i.e. expensive keynote speakers like past Presidents, sports figures, celebrities, etc. that are used to lure in the wrong audience). Good collaboration between the two sales departments. This communication is key to build a quality product, and to make sure that the expectations of all clients are met.

Cons

Need to have a true intel meeting (especially for the younger/less experienced employees) before a campaign starts so they have as much "amo" as possible (whether that be at the very beginning when lead sourcing or when engaging decision makers on the phone).

In all honesty, the only reason for any "dissatisfied," marks is because the company needs to grow. Plain and simple. We understand that given the current size of the company, not everyone can be managers and that we can't afford people to move departments. At the same time, there is such great potential in most of the current staff. There are also individuals who would serve the company well in other capacities, and have talents to start new departments that can help drive the company forward. We also need to grow the company so individuals who have had success on certain projects can take ownership of that program and specialize in it.

Advice to Management

We have incredible talent and loyal staff. Continue to build around this team, and we will knock it out of the park!

Horrible place to work!

Former Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of genuienly nice people there that unfortunetaly are treated extremely poorly by management.

Cons

CEO and all of the VP's in this company are out of touch with reality making it an awful environment to be a part of. No career progression whatsoever. Alot of carrot dangling to just to wear casual clothes, then make you feel terrible about it. Why do you need to wear a suit to be a cold telemarketer anyway? No client presentations are ever done in the office.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't bother because it would fall on deaf ears.

Awful Company

I worked at CDM Media full-time

Pros

There are very little pros to this company. There are many hard working young professionals that get sucked in and need to stay away.

Cons

Management is out to line their own pockets and there is no sense of morality.

Advice to Management

Employees are the heart of the company. Stop thinking about your own personal bank and help develop those employees who work hard. I would not be surprised if you have a lawsuit on your hands currently or in the future.

Awful company

Current Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really isn't any unless you are prepared to forgo your personal morals and sell sponsorship on events they aren't even planning on running. The only positive thing would be if the buy out actually happens and people with real management experience in key positions take over.

Cons

The culture of the office is based around lies and if you get on with the right people.(The CEO) The basic functions of HR and Training are sadly missing from the very top and that leads to a working environment of conflict. The other major downside is the way the company picks and chooses what to pay you and when. They will often hold back commission on delegates brought in on certain projects because they know they are not planning on running them - the same applies to sponsorship sales.

Advice to Management

Move on - You have taken as much as you can from the company and sooner rather than later you will get found out in a big way either from a HR or GRC point of view.

Nice office but lacks culture

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young energetic group of co-workers

Cons

Management - No real training and coaching

Advice to Management

Read some sales management books on how to talk to people and truly inspire them

RSS Feed </> Embed