CDM Media

Updated September 25, 2014
2.6

CDM Media CEO Glenn Willis
Glenn Willis

There are reasons why CDM Media is one of the fastest growing companies in America, INC 5000 baby!

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An awesome fast-paced environment with plenty of opportunities to make money and impact your pay check every week. I previously worked in a sales role where you only got paid commission once every quarter, here I get a commission check every 4 weeks. Great support from the managers on the floor, and so they should because when you make money, they also make money.

Cons

I would have talked about the negative influence on the company from the negative people that have been working here, thankfully most of them have now moved on,

Get the negative and under performing people out quicker, we all know the type, the ones who think the world owes them a living but are not prepared to work for it.

Solid products with plenty of opportunities if you are wiling to work hard

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High-energy and fast paced
    Good amount of training
    Good support from team managers
    Plenty of events to sell
    Lots of vacation

Cons

The company is growing very fast, so there has been a lot of changes over the last couple of months. There is a lot of ground to cover with the recent expansions that have been made.

Offer more team lead / manager positions, as you now have the product to do so. Continue to build out new training materials and do more role play scenario training.

Dreadful, Awful, Terrible, Shocking, Appalling, Disgraceful, Hopeless, Pitiful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

hmmmm..... I thought about this actually long and hard and there are none to talk about and will have never have any to talk about.

Cons

If the title of my review didn't sum it up enough for you, then let me just say look at linkedin and take a look at how many employees have come and gone from this company over the last 3 years. The longest tendered employees are the people who work for GW and can't leave him because he has them by the balls on their work visas. This company burns and turns people faster than a new york minute. Oh and if you are dumb enough, like I was to actually go work for these buffoons then do yourself a favor and make sure you carry around a video recorder with you at work because there is plenty of shady business dealings taking place, along with sexual harassment. On top of all that fun stuff be prepared to fight with HR i.e. GW over all the commissions that you earned as well. He also makes a habit of changing peoples base salaries at any minute so be prepared for that as well. Unless your local Mcds isn't hiring, I would run away from this place as fast as you can.

Give it up and move back to whatever hell hole you crawled out of in the UK and leave Chicago. I'm sure the feds will catch you soon enough and throw you in jail for a long time hopefully. You are the scum of the earth

KARMA

Former Employee - CIO Relationship Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CIO Relationship Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Only Pro I can think of is getting PTO and a week-break for Christmas.

Cons

-no matter what sex you are or your age, be sure that you will be treated like a child
    -they tell you what you want to hear but it will never happen
    -no such thing as personal growth
    -be prepared to stand up all day while dialing, b/c if you don't then "your not working hard" they will take your chair from underneath you to make you stand
    -if you have a large commission check coming soon, they will either fire you before you get paid on it or not pay you the correct amount and tell you they will fix it but it doesn't happen
    -they change your base salary and commission structure constantly

Welcome to America! You can not treat us hard working American's like dogs and think you will get away with it. You can not come to America and not abide by our Laws and think you can get away with it. You can not work us so hard without paying us. You can not swear, scream, yell, embarrass and harass American's and think you can get away with it. *KARMA* She WILL come knocking one day!

Very Good but not without its share of ups and downs

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High growth and youthful dynamic across the entire office. CDM has a real "go getter" and entrepreneurial vibe/culture. For those that are looking for more than just a day to day routine and looking for a company that will reward hard work and effort and not just turning up, then CDM is a great shape to provide you with a platform to build. Sales are infrequent but the commission structure more than compensates for 6-8 week droughts in between deals. Also the way the company and management looks after accounts business and growing this to huge deals can quickly accelerate earnings. Management are mainly British but fun to work with and quirky. Culture is definitely work hard and play hard with lots of charity and office days out so that everyone knows one another and generally everyone respects and gets on with one another.

Cons

Results are hard to come by given the nature of event sales industry as lots of buyer decisions are done in cycle. A couple of the managers lack understanding that there is a bigger picture and need to understand working as a team vs individual gain will get them to positions they want quicker. Its definitely a company transitioning from small startup to key industry player so sometimes things take a little longer than you might want, that said you do get what you need in weeks vs months so maybe more patience on my side was needed here. There are some great sales people to learn both new business and accounts pitching from but you need to navigate some of the office politics which can be frustrating.

More positive communications and less office gossip. You are a team and there is huge potential if you can keep and attract top talent. You need to ensure that general communications are upbeat and understand how to support staff to get best results. As for the gossip this comes in any company and there will always be some jousting between individuals. So my advice here would be unite as a team and stop the one or two members that feel the need to gossip and put others down as it is negative and holding all back.

You get out what you put in

I have been working at CDM Media full-time

Pros

Good support from colleagues and managers. Talented group with nice open sales floor and good communication between the sales teams. Product that CDM delivers is very high quality vs competing events and the events are ran exceptionally well which has led to CDM's success. Sales floor buzz can be amazing when it's full.

Cons

Company needs to grow in all areas in order to develop the talented group it has. It is currently too "lean"

Trust in the team you have and don't change the culture due to some past employees which have taken advantage of CDM.

moving the needle

I have been working at CDM Media full-time

Pros

The company values individuals who give 100% effort. Hands on coaching from managers. Managers are very energetic, and try to spread the energy across the sales floor. Colleagues are also hands on in supporting each other, whether it be through insight on certain leads from past experiences or coaching each other through calls. Great environment when the floor is buzzing.

The product is focused more on content/caliber than it is on "fluff" that some competing companies focus on (i.e. expensive keynote speakers like past Presidents, sports figures, celebrities, etc. that are used to lure in the wrong audience). Good collaboration between the two sales departments. This communication is key to build a quality product, and to make sure that the expectations of all clients are met.

Cons

Need to have a true intel meeting (especially for the younger/less experienced employees) before a campaign starts so they have as much "amo" as possible (whether that be at the very beginning when lead sourcing or when engaging decision makers on the phone).

In all honesty, the only reason for any "dissatisfied," marks is because the company needs to grow. Plain and simple. We understand that given the current size of the company, not everyone can be managers and that we can't afford people to move departments. At the same time, there is such great potential in most of the current staff. There are also individuals who would serve the company well in other capacities, and have talents to start new departments that can help drive the company forward. We also need to grow the company so individuals who have had success on certain projects can take ownership of that program and specialize in it.

We have incredible talent and loyal staff. Continue to build around this team, and we will knock it out of the park!

Best sales environment I've experienced out of the 4 companies I have worked at

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at CDM Media for just over two years before I moved out of Chicago and as I get adjusted to my new role I can safely say that CDM offered the best sales environment I have worked in out of the 4 I have experienced in my career so far. It was so refreshing after what I had been used to, to be able to walk into a big open plan office where everyone is able to interact with each other and everyone bouncing off each others confidence and energy with people genuinely being happy for each other when deals were done. My Sales Manager was always in my corner and worked just as hard on getting my deals closed as he did his own, which seemed to be the case for all the other teams on the floor. The events they organize are ran exceptionally well which is seen in how many of the clients re-book across a wide range of the events that they do. If I ever move back to Chicago, I will be giving them a call and asking for my desk back.

Cons

- Growing pains for the company during the last 6 months I was there
    - When everyone was on the phone and really going for it, was sometimes hard to hear yourself think!

- Have an interactive session each week, where the sales people can share both their success and war
      stories in an open forum style.

Horrible place to work!

Former Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - CIO Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a handful of genuienly nice people there that unfortunetaly are treated extremely poorly by management.

Cons

CEO and all of the VP's in this company are out of touch with reality making it an awful environment to be a part of. No career progression whatsoever. Alot of carrot dangling to just to wear casual clothes, then make you feel terrible about it. Why do you need to wear a suit to be a cold telemarketer anyway? No client presentations are ever done in the office.

I wouldn't bother because it would fall on deaf ears.

Excellent place to develop a sales career and great people to work with

Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales Executive

I worked at CDM Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working there, I wish the company stayed in Hawaii!! Worked there for 2 years in sales and if I was prepared to leave Hawaii, I would still be working there. The environment was always full of good positive people outside of one or two, who didn't really last. You were always encouraged to go for the deal, ask for it and not be intimidated by job titles. The managers were always available to get on the phone with you and help you. I have since went on to do well in Real Estate here on Oahu and owe a lot of that to my time with CDM, Mahalo!

Cons

Early starts to sell to all the times zones - 6am (But felt good leaving at 3pm)
    Can take a while to get some decision makers on the phone

Set another sales office in Hawaii please :)