CDM Smith

Be The First To
Add Photos

CDM Smith Chairman and CEO Stephen J. Hickox

Stephen J. Hickox

Pros:
  • "And being able to work from home occasionally is really nice"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Work-life balance was easier to achieve than in some of the other places I've worked at"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes the upper management liked to change things just so people knew they were there"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Constant reorganizations and layoffs causes low morale, no support from senior management for smaller offices,"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Recent organizational changes seem to have adverse impact

Austin, TX

ProsGood team, work environment is friendly.

ConsSalary is not as competitive and less space to grow within the rigid matrix system.

Pleasant working environment

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsNice coworkers, good working environment. Reasonable internship pay. Seems like a great place for job security and work-life balance.

ConsSmall old-school company. The salaries are low for full-time engineers but I think that's common in power systems. Boring career overall.

Solid work environment

Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat people work here, at least in certain departments. The main office is in a great location.

ConsExecutives are never seen. Lack of cohesion between them and everyone else it seems. The workplace is still sort of old-school and lacks the fun of more up to date workplaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore events and cohesion between departments, it seems each department only deals with itself. More fun in the workplace.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Keep looking!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsCompany does cool things (ie...gets water to people that need it) and is an environmentally sound and green firm. Work-life balance is good. If you are technical you can get paid well to work OT. If there is no budget for OT, then you are a strict 9-5er. Firm has been around for a long time and there are many that have only ever had one job at the company. Benefits are above average, although compared to other environmental companies in the industry, below average. Definitely not terrible though.

Constoo many old timers who have been working there for 40 years dictating the environment. Company needs to seriously attempt to get current with the millennial workforce. Good people arent going to wait 20 years to become a VP and be able to have a window seat. No one talks. The place is like a tomb. That may be because Cambridge is HQ...I've heard that other offices have a much more relaxed approach. Too many managers quitting because they cant get through the mass of red tape that's required to get anything done. Company has been through 2-3 re-orgs and several transistions during the last 5 years. Kinda makes you wonder whats going on upstairs?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some leaders in there. Don't simply promote the top engineer into a management role. Its no shock that staff leaves at such an alarming rate. Find people that are good a managing people and put them into leadership roles. There are enough engineers in the field to the heavy lifting.

Great company!

Environmental Scientist III (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity to learn and great training.

ConsToo much focus on utilization and issues with too many people handling a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some focus off utilization.

Happy it's over

Cambridge, MA

ProsMy immediate colleagues were great. Had flexiblitliy in my schedule. The location is convenient to public transportion and parking available.

Cons"That's the way it's always been done" was a standard answer whenever the status quo was questioned. Those who "went along to get along" were rewarded. Those who bucked the trend were treated poorly. There wasn't a clear career path for HR and lack of development opportunities. Leadership in the group was sorely lacking. Never felt like anyone had my back. Lack of bonuses made compensation package uncompetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStuff sweating the small stuff and let the experts you hired worry about that stuff. Focus instead on the big picture. Revamp the compensation package to reward a larger group of employees.

Excellent experience

ProsThe nature of the work, the fact that the position was not for everyone. The company policies were fair and promoted someone to grow in their role.

ConsThe senior management is seemingly disconnected to the rest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the clients for the fate of the company rests with their opinions.

The best job ever, for the best people ever

Lead Drafter (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsProjects are interesting and diverse. The scientists and engineers that I worked with were professional and polite. Clear goals and milestones.

ConsSometimes the upper management liked to change things just so people knew they were there.

Good to work for...

ProsGood Balance!!! In life work balance...great office parties

ConsNo Direction- Middle management takes so long to make a decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis could be strong in construction.

internship at CDM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit was a good experience. even though it was a summer intern position, I felt like I am a staff member.

Consin my case, it was far and I had to drive a lot, but I can not say anything negative at this moment because I was inter only for two months.

Worked for CDM Smith? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDM Smith reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDM Smith CEO Stephen J. Hickox. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by CDM Smith employees.