CDSS Reviews

21 reviews filtered by
2.9
Douglas D. Park
1 Rating

1. State Employment is a mixed bag.

Former Employee - Management Services Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Management Services Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

State employment could be great if conditions are right. It all depends on the people you work with and your supervisors. I had a generally positive experience with the supervisors, but had trouble working with individual employees. State benefits are great and once you pass your probation it's almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is slow. It's difficult to advance because you have to take exams, but with enough effort, you will get there. I had a generally positive experience with the supervisors, but had trouble working with individual employees. The "analyst" positions are more desirable than the office technician or management service technician positions because they allow you to do more interesting work.

Management needs to work more on creating a more positive work environment.

2. A unique and rewarding learning experience.

Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CDSS

Pros

A chance to make a difference in the lives of the elderly and dependent adults living in long term care.

Cons

Heavy work load with constant changes.

Reduce the micromanagement.

3. Worst Job Ever. No balance. Stay away unless you know what you're getting into.

Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, some co-workers are decent, potential to help those in need and get rid of bad apples, job security.

Cons

Crushing workload, dysfunctional system, heartbreaking cases, bureaucracy. You're constantly exposed to the dregs of society and the mistreatment of children. Mind-numbing, energy-draining, miserable.

Whatever it is that you need to do to get more staff, find a way to do it. Bring retired staff back, get student assistants, interns, etc. DO NOT throw your new staff into a trial by fire. It will backfire. Give your staff the right tools for the job.

5. Overwhelming

Current Employee - Disability Analyst
    Current Employee - Disability Analyst

I have been working at CDSS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff are very pleasant

Cons

Overloaded with cases and paperwork. It is too much work for what you are paid. If you like to feel like you have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. DONT'WORK HERE! I am trying to find a way out.

Slow down your training schedule, it is overwhelming!!!!

6. I am a caregiver to the sick and elderly

Current Employee - Caregiver in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Victorville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can keep my elderly mother home with me and give her the care she needs at home.

Cons

My worker at IHSS does not call me back when I need to talk to her.

Have supervisors do their job in a timely manner.

7. Good Learning Experience

Current Contractor - Care Giver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Contractor - Care Giver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people. help the elderly. Get a pay check. Learn something new

Cons

You use your own vehicle. Some of the people are mean to work for. Your a contractor with the company.

This company is a good way to earn a little extra money but you have to go through finger printing as well. There are classes you have to take.

8. A Very Challenging Place to Work...

Former Employee - Office Assistant (Typing) in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant (Typing) in San Diego, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, after five years employees are vested in CalPERS pension system; this agency provides a necessary and vital service of maintaining the safety and care of the elderly in assisted-living facilities that sometimes are run by corrupt and uncaring owners, who, when discovered, are given warnings and sometimes fined or shut down. There is never a dull moment in the CCLD working environment.

Cons

The workload is horrendous and due to budgetary and hiring freeze constraints, it is impossible for employees to fully perform all of their duties. Employees are stretched to the limit--or well over. Facilities are supposed to be inspected on a regular basis, but due to the amount of complaint calls that need to be investigated within ten days, regular inspections do not always occur.

More employees, including clerical, need to be hired, especially for customer service. All orientations and administrator examinations should be offered via videos and online. These also should be available in different languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. When employees work overtime, offer some type of compensation (comp time and/or paid). Regarding
    DOJ and FBI background checks and clearance to work, this process somehow should be streamlined, as it sometimes can take months. People with misdeameanors automatically should be cleared, especially for old court cases. Individuals with felonies still need to be screened carefully, but the policy should be changed where they are told why they are not cleared--and perhaps never will be.

9. Disorganized, ineffective, and toxic.

Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vacation, sick leave, job security, and retirement contribution.

Cons

The Human Resources office is a mess. Don't assume that you're qualified for a certain classification based on real work experience. They will disqualify you instantly and then offer you a Training and Development assignment as consolation. Don't assume that they're accurately keying in your leave usage. I've seen two employees shorted 10+ years of service credit due to data entry errors in Human Resources.

Although a current goal is "flexibility," there hasn't been much done to accommodate the state-wide initiative to allow telecommuting.

Som mid-level managers contribute to a toxic environment in which employees are encouraged to report what they hear around the office, thus a breakdown in communication. Employees are often put in a position where they feel they must “tattle” in certain scenarios so as to not get into trouble themselves.

There is an overall lack of teamwork in most units. Getting guidance from coworkers is hit or miss.

The go-getter mentality is not often praised or appreciated by mid-level management and other rank and file staff.

Good ideas are often not considered by mid-level management.

Care to the quality and accuracy of work is not praised. Instead, it is interpreted my mid-level management as not accepting “no” for an answer.

Do not continue to hire unqualified people to manager.

Give up the "savior" mentality; hire rank and file employees who are capable of doing the job now as opposed to being hopefull that someday they will be able to do the job.

10. Satisfactory: Wages are minimum and benifits for P.T are none.

Current Employee - IHSS Caregiver in Kelseyville, CA
    Current Employee - IHSS Caregiver in Kelseyville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Elderly people get needed care.

Cons

The Union doesn't do a whole lot for the workers who only work P.T. in Lake County. We get minium wage where as other counties in this state get quite alot higher wages.

Wages need to increase, and benifits for the part time workers are needed as we still get charged for "union dues" even though we don't recieve benifits for work under 30hrs. a month.

11. It all depends on the family you work with

Current Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - In-Home Care Provider in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If a family you know personally chooses you, then you can avoid most of the red tape.
    You can accept or turn down clients to work with, and you pretty much arrange everything through the family.
    If it's a great family, it's a wonderful experience.
    When you sign up for direct deposit, you get your paychecks promptly.

Cons

You have to go to an orientation and fill out paperwork, and pay for a livescan.
    It takes 4-6 weeks from signing up until you receive your pay stubs to fill out. So you can either wait to work until the first one comes, or you can work without getting paid for a month and then get a big paycheck for that whole period.
    Families might flake out on you, and there's not much you can do about it.