CDW

CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer(in 58 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is sometimes quite a bit of turnover among the inside account managers(in 33 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning(in 32 reviews)

282 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

10 Years and a steady, undeniable decline which makes me sad to see.

Executive Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou can make a ton of money and if you get the right manager, you can little/no oversight. Vendors provide a ton of perks, free concerts, ballgames, a happy hour every night of the week, free lunches, etc. There are a decent amount of good people left working there

ConsThey've cut pay every single year since I started in 2004. Literally every single year. And account managers have the same base salary($25k) they did as long as anybody I know that works there can remember(15+ years). They have a focused effort to devalue the role of account manager and have consistently been stepping down compensation more drastically in recent years. The caliber of people they've hired the last five years is really, really bad, so a lot of your coworkers are there because nobody else will hire them and they're willing to work for $25k. The fact that they've hired a lot of terrible people recently has also had a bad effect on morale. It's never been lower since I started. Even people making top dollar hate their jobs. Also there is zero career path. If you dream of being a sales manager, well keep dreaming--last I heard that job starts out at an amazing $45k base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base for AM's, weed out unproductive people and show us you care at least a little bit.

Great experience

K12 Sales (Former Employee) Mettawa, IL

ProsPay
    Time off
    Discounts
    Great management
    Excellent benefits

ConsNot much room to move up into management

The people and the culture are the best in the industry!

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people! They really want to help you. The culture truly promotes the coworker and you do have a say in a large company.

ConsLarge company with information all over the map. Needs to be centralized per dept. and position. It takes months to learn the back-end. This would save many hours for every coworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and please keep sales to push the services. This is where we will survive in the long run.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happy AM

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey have a great Onboarding program for new hires in sales that gets you immersed properly into the technology side as well as into the sales side of things. You can really hit the ground running.

ConsAll the sales training is focused on transactional style selling, but that is only one part. Spend more time with LOS12+ on strategies and skills to sell higher and wider within their largest and/or most strategic accounts.

Make lots of money... for someone else

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCDW has a decent work from home policy, which is a plus. We get free lunches from vendors fairly often, and the location in Chicago is great, with easy access to mass transit.

Overall, I find that the work hours are fine and there is quite a bit of flexibility, although that varies from team to team.

Finally, it's a great job to make contacts, even outside of the IT industry, as we have a vast number of customers and vendors that we work in close contact with.

ConsFirst and foremost, the pay and benefits. Pay varies wildly between departments and even between people in the same position. If you're in any kind of support role, you're getting paid at 50-100% below comparable jobs in the industry. The 401K plan is rock bottom matching and it takes forever to vest. The health plans are expensive, especially for a company that has 10 billion in revenue for about 7,000 employees.

Even though the pay is low, the workload can be brutal. Lots of teams are completely understaffed, and backfills for positions can take months so CDW can cut costs. Decent IT support could make up for some of this by increasing efficiency, but CDW's IT department is poorly run and ineffective.

The pay issue might be a symptom of management's complete lack of understanding what goes on at the ground level during day-to-day operations. Decisions about how to best manage business processes seem completely arbitrary or based upon erroneous information.

Thus, for career enhancement, you're better off focusing on cultivating the positive attention of people in upper management than on doing your job competently or displaying initiative, as no one above your direct manager will notice the latter.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of chasing revenue goals every quarter, you might want to focus on building and growing solid infrastructure to support the business. Sustainable growth is about more than just selling more each year. Productivity isn't infinite. If you want to treat your employees like a minimum wage big-box store, then don't be surprised when customers decide that's what we are.

CDW provides a great opportunity for someone to build a long term career with strong work/life balance.

Management (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsCompetitive compensation, growing technology industry and fun/social environment

ConsCoworkers are expected to perform. CDW invests heavily in training. CDW pushes coworkers to exceed customer expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to continue to recognize contributions from long tenured coworkers. Need to make sure they know they are appreciated.

May 28, 2014

Thank you for the review. CDW believes feedback can help make our organization an even better place to work.

Great Place to Work, Promotes Work/Life Balance

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork/Life balance, interesting work, great coworker base - overall the people that work here are great!
    High Character Leadership, strong values throughout the organization.

ConsCompensation, slow to adopt change

May 28, 2014

We’re glad to hear you value CDW’s leadership. We know that strong leaders inspire others to perform at their best.

Solid employer and good pay

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIts easy to make a good living here
    Company treats employees well
    Plenty of opportunities for advancement or movement within the organization

ConsWork life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family
    Management turnover - I expect a lot of turn over in sales but sales management. I have had as many managers as I have years with the company.

May 28, 2014

Thanks for the review. CDW is committed to providing ongoing opportunities for development and advancement for its coworkers.

CDW is a leader in technology and an amazing company to build a career within.

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company focuses and invests in the development of coworkers in all departments (sales and non sales roles).
    A very strong focus on work life balance and great benefits for coworkers.
    Strong partnerships with vendors to support customers, but also earn additional incentives (free lunches, extra money through SPIFF programs, outings, etc.)
    Giving back to the community through a wide variety of fundraisers and volunteer opportunities both locally within each market and on a national scale.
    Publicly held company with employee stock options that continues to increase in value.

ConsMany would state that starting base salaries need to be more competitive in specific market places. Although base salaries maybe lower in sales, commissions are very aggressive and uncapped. If you are a very hard worker and want to be paid for your successes the compensation plan is more than competitive and stands out.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share business and strategy updates with coworkers. It is great to see the focus on building CDW's infrastructure out to enable the company to be leading IT solutions and services provider.

May 28, 2014

CDW appreciates your feedback. Coworker feedback has helped CDW make important improvements in our organization such as increased investments in technology, enhanced benefit offerings, additional ... More

Excellent Training, Limited Upward Mobility

Account Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe training program for new Account Managers at CDW is excellent. A revamped program that provides new AMs with classroom and specialized new hire sales teams to train with. Introduces you to the products, brands, programs, and sales techniques needed to get moving in the right direction. As far as the atmosphere I'd describe it as "Frat like", fairly laid back and a bit of a party atmosphere.

ConsThere isn't much upwards mobility to be had for sales employees - limited management and unclear lateral moves. Lots of turnover. Red tape complicates sales process.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking to reduce turnover should be a focus.

May 28, 2014

We’re happy to hear you value CDW’s training offerings. CDW knows our coworkers are our competitive advantage. Our training programs are one of the many investments we make to promote ongoing ... More

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!