CDW

Updated Jul 9, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

277 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This company does a great job of taking care of it's employees and putting them in the best position to succeed.

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits, high standards, fortune 500 company, and room to grow professionally.

ConsAt this time I have no complaints. Overall my experience has been excellent.

Stay out of the warehouse.

Pick/Pack (Current Employee)
    Vernon Hills, IL

ProsThe company has a huge parking lot.

ConsManagers and supervisors are only good at sleeping and ordering pizza. Promotions are based on who you know. CDW also caters to the minority. They continue to hire people that speak little or no English. Most of these people don't care how they are treated just throw them a bone once in awhile and they are happy. Also no breaks just a 45 minute lunch. The computers in the warehouse have grease and ketchup all over the chairs and keyboards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring from the outside! No more internal promotions!

Good place to start a carreer

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood work environment, perks from vendors are nice.

Consbase pay and commission structure is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation plan needs to improve significantly. I couldn't afford to live in Chicago my first year working there and many people have two jobs.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to start out

CDW Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsYoung, helpful environment. A lot of complainers and false information.

ConsEstablished corporate company, not much room for creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage creativity

It was a great job to gain the experience I needed out of collage

Government Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThis job taught me sales strategies, how to manage a book of business, and how to become better at selling in a B2B environment. Taught me more about utilizing my resources and accessing the channel. benefits are great, and the incentives from the CDW partners are amazing.

ConsThe base pay is terrible. After one year your salary will grow but after one year commission is no longer guaranteed. The pay structure is not one you will appreciate. Getting support in a timely fashion can be really bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management is something no one will appreciate. However if you get the right person that you report to work can be great.

Great place to work, resourcefulness is key here.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat folks but you really need to push to seperate yourself from the rest of the pack and advance. The harder you work the more, the greater your chance of success. Networking is everything.

ConsVery sales minded organization and transaction focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep consistent policies across all teams and roles. Build more training programs to help folks get support where they need it.

Fast, fun, competitive environment

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing industry with good commission potential. Exciting opportunities and very fast paced. Always something new to learn and teams are competitive.

ConsLow base salary compared to other sales jobs. Working in a team environment is fun and helpful but there is quite a bit of childish gossip which gets old. Customers can be taken without warning so you waste a lot of time monitoring your accounts and explaining over and over again why you deserve to keep working with your assigned customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than meetings with the entire sales team more time could be spent coaching less tenured employees and growing them individually - the more seasoned Account Managers have large, complex projects that command most the discussion during a meeting. It's unlikely for 1 year Reps to get much out of experiences shared here or to apply advice of a manager when it doesn't pertain to them yet.

It is a great place to work with a great management team

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosbest training in the industry, learn a lot about a lot of different tech. Make a lot of relationships with manufacturers.

Conssalary and even commission are pretty poor. Can make more in other sales jobs in a quicker amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more transparent with employees

great company

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Vernon Hills, IL

Prosflexible, good work-life balance, fair compensation

Consno cons to speak of

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Want experience in sales, start here

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNice atmosphere, depending on the team you are placed on. Senior team members may be willing to give you some pointers on various ways to prospect, or spark up new conversations with current accounts. Vendors feed you at least every other day.

ConsIf you are not a great seller, then this is not the place for you. The small business division is undeniably the hardest.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 277 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.