CDW

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

184 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Walks the Walk

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros* Good company that *truly* works to ensure the needs of co-workers are met
    * Good pay; good benefits
    * Nationwide + Canada with potential to re-locate from current area
    * Lots of supported opportunities to learn and grow your career
    * Company size
    * Vision and drive to becoming *the* IT service provider
    * Home-grown company from Chicago (eBay before eBay; Amazon before Amazon)
    * Stellar relationships with Cisco, MSFT, Google, HP, Apple and more
    * Promotes, and stands behind, diversity in the workplace

Cons* Company size (also included as a "pro") Currently ~6,000 co-workers

Advice to Senior Management* Keep the "home-grown" feel of CDW as we continue to grow
    * Keep doing what you do Tom Richards

CDW has helped me grow on a professional and personal level.

Sales Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to grow and a plethera of job opportunities after you complete 1 year of sales.

ConsThe compensation is not competitive with other companies in our industry.

My experience was amazing!

Chicago, IL

ProsConstant follow up. Upbeat and exciting

ConsNot one con comes to mind. Best experience I have ever had

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what they are doing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great coworker environment; very positive growth within the industry and for the individual too.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLarge company that has the perks of a close-knit smaller company as well; great benefits and knowledgeable management; great learning environment and development opportunities.

ConsNone that I have seen so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the fantastic work.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood position to get entry level experience. If in small business get in and get out. Free outings and happy hours. Many times you get free lunch hosted by company partners. Young environment and you get to wear jeans on Friday. You also get to work downtown in the loop.

ConsLow base salary, strict management who don't understand for 25K base salary many people simply don't care. Getting stricter and more micromanaging, including pipelining, forecasting, and monthly meetings with boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base salary. If you really value employees pay them better and give them more flexibility. Don't micromanage.

The people and the culture are the best in the industry!

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people! They really want to help you. The culture truly promotes the coworker and you do have a say in a large company.

ConsLarge company with information all over the map. Needs to be centralized per dept. and position. It takes months to learn the back-end. This would save many hours for every coworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and please keep sales to push the services. This is where we will survive in the long run.

Great Place to Work, Promotes Work/Life Balance

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWork/Life balance, interesting work, great coworker base - overall the people that work here are great!
    High Character Leadership, strong values throughout the organization.

ConsCompensation, slow to adopt change

Flag Review
    CDW Senior Manager responded to this review May 28, 2014 EditDelete
    We’re glad to hear you value CDW’s leadership. We know that strong leaders inspire others to perform at their best.

Happy AM

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThey have a great Onboarding program for new hires in sales that gets you immersed properly into the technology side as well as into the sales side of things. You can really hit the ground running.

ConsAll the sales training is focused on transactional style selling, but that is only one part. Spend more time with LOS12+ on strategies and skills to sell higher and wider within their largest and/or most strategic accounts.

Solid employer and good pay

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIts easy to make a good living here
    Company treats employees well
    Plenty of opportunities for advancement or movement within the organization

ConsWork life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family
    Management turnover - I expect a lot of turn over in sales but sales management. I have had as many managers as I have years with the company.

Flag Review
    CDW Senior Manager responded to this review May 28, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the review. CDW is committed to providing ongoing opportunities for development and advancement for its coworkers.

Make lots of money... for someone else

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCDW has a decent work from home policy, which is a plus. We get free lunches from vendors fairly often, and the location in Chicago is great, with easy access to mass transit.

Overall, I find that the work hours are fine and there is quite a bit of flexibility, although that varies from team to team.

Finally, it's a great job to make contacts, even outside of the IT industry, as we have a vast number of customers and vendors that we work in close contact with.

ConsFirst and foremost, the pay and benefits. Pay varies wildly between departments and even between people in the same position. If you're in any kind of support role, you're getting paid at 50-100% below comparable jobs in the industry. The 401K plan is rock bottom matching and it takes forever to vest. The health plans are expensive, especially for a company that has 10 billion in revenue for about 7,000 employees.

Even though the pay is low, the workload can be brutal. Lots of teams are completely understaffed, and backfills for positions can take months so CDW can cut costs. Decent IT support could make up for some of this by increasing efficiency, but CDW's IT department is poorly run and ineffective.

The pay issue might be a symptom of management's complete lack of understanding what goes on at the ground level during day-to-day operations. Decisions about how to best manage business processes seem completely arbitrary or based upon erroneous information.

Thus, for career enhancement, you're better off focusing on cultivating the positive attention of people in upper management than on doing your job competently or displaying initiative, as no one above your direct manager will notice the latter.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of chasing revenue goals every quarter, you might want to focus on building and growing solid infrastructure to support the business. Sustainable growth is about more than just selling more each year. Productivity isn't infinite. If you want to treat your employees like a minimum wage big-box store, then don't be surprised when customers decide that's what we are.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.