CDW

Updated December 12, 2014
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good first role

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch, especially for those with little experience. Laid back culture with a lot of freedom in your day. Managers are typically promoted from within so they have been in your shoes before and really care about you. Lots of perks: free lunches, sporting events, happy hours, etc. Company is trending in the right direction and continues to capture more and more market share.

Cons

While it is a good place to start and gain sales experience, the base salary is low enough where if you have a bad month in sales, you aren't making much money. The job itself is easy, though, and the established AMs can make a killing.

Just installed software to monitor calls, view computer screens, etc. Do not appreciate being watched by "Big Brother".

Account Manager Review

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

I have been a public sector Account Manager for 7 years. In a sales role you will not be micro-managed. There is the potential to make well over $100k if you end up in the correct segment.

Cons

Based salary is half of the industry standard. If you sell in the Public sector you must pay all the contract fees and freight out of your commissions; something they don't tell you in the recruiting process. It is nearly impossible for AM's to switch segments once hired. The training program does not teach you what you really need to know to be successful and their CRM tool is buggy and unstable. Limited travel to meet with your customers.

Public Sector AM's need a comp plan competitive with the rest of the industry. AM's need to be in front of their customers a minimum of once per quarter. Seasoned AM's should be allowed to live in their territories and telecommute(we sell this tech, lets use it). Our business model of only having inside sales and very few FAE's is a failing business model. Customers and partners all admit that they prefer to work with someone that is local and provides face time.

Great Stepping Stone

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a young, energetic atmosphere. I learned a lot about new emerging technologies in several different product categories. CDW has a great training program. They take on employees that do not have IT or sales experience. I was able to get the experience I needed for the next job. The hours are great. You can workout during the day. Great prizes and competitions.

Cons

The pay is low. A bad manager can really effect your development. CDW has ways of taking a little more than they should from commission.

The base pay should be higher.

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great first time job to get your feet wet and learn how to talk to people over the phone in a sales-context.

Cons

It's easy to feel unimportant and like a tiny cog in a huge machine.

I felt like I would get the most challenging assignments because they knew I would work really hard, but that didn't always mean I got the most money. Would have liked to get a couple "easy" customers mixed into my territory.

Great place to build a foundation for a career in the technology industry.

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Positive work environment, very friendly people
    -Excellent training program
    -Great variety of functions in which you can work and explore your interests

Cons

-The benefits are great but salary growth is a challenge in functions outside of sales.

Keep up the great work, some differentiation will be necessary with the increased commoditization of the products CDW sells over time. Growth in the services practice will be key, but more competitive advantages will need to be developed to succeed in the long term.

Vendor Specialist

Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate culture, lot's of perks, good training/development

Cons

Below industry pay pretty much across the board, which is why they have problems retaining talent.

You can't keep losing all you top salesmen, managers, and specialists without it eventually effecting your bottom line. Pay people what they deserve.

Excellent Interview and Training Process!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only recently started at CDW but even two weeks in I can tell the culture here is like no other. From day one, all of our trainers and guest speakers have been very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Everyone I speak to in the company I ask them how long they have been here and what do they love. Unanimously I am told they love the atmosphere. They encourage participation, continuous training and everyone says there a huge salary potential.

Cons

Like many jobs, it's not going to come easy. They do expect us to put in the time to become knowledgeable about technology and still manage to communicate what we know to customers.

Great, forward thinking company that is the best at what they do

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is unlimited earning potential (all based on how hard you are willing to work and how well you work with others), flexible management, ability to work from home, varied internal and external career paths (including partner companies)

Cons

large corporations have many layers of bureaucracy, some sales / leaders teams have a narrow and selfish view causing conflicts, turnover for new hires is high (many don't give it a chance long enough or put in the work the build the book of business)

Great Place to Start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CDW is a great place to start. You get top notch training and chances to work your way into technical positions that otherwise might be closed off to you.

Cons

Salary is low and senior management hasn't changed in years. New managers keep cycling through because they have no chance of promotion.

Sales Capability

Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CDW is the best company to work for. The training and onboarding programs, as well as wide array of resources, provide employees all the tools to be successful. The pay, promotions, benefits, perks, values, and culture, make CDW the best company to be apart of.

Cons

I do not believe there are any cons to working at CDW