CDW Reviews

Reset
3.7
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • Management tries to be flexible with work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Some flexibility concerning work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers did not care about work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

It is a fast-paced, winning culture that allows you to positively affect many people, both personally and professionally

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1. The People - At CDW, relationships matter...with Customers, Partners, Community and each other
    2. The Culture - Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment
    3. The Values - Everything we do revolves around the Customer. Success means never being satisfied and we operate our business with passion and integrity.

Cons

The pace of change in our industry is, at times, overwhelming, and we are often asked to do more with the same amount of resources...or sometimes less. But, with the right mix of time management, prioritization and communication, successfully navigating constant change is achievable.

Advice to Management

Within a performance-based culture, such as CDW's, the focus on success is important. Allowing our Coworkers to maintain a positive work/life balance is also important to prevent overload and burnout.

CDW Response

May 6, 2015Senior Manager

CDW is a high performing organization with a record of delivering results. We know this wouldn't be possible without the dedication of our coworkers, our supportive culture and our unwavering ... More

Opportunity is what you make of it

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a leader in the industry has its advantages: can be easier to win against competitors due to abundance of in house resources, large warehouse, tons of free giveaways like food,nice items, trips,etc. Once you have a flow going the pay is gets a little better. Cool, relaxed culture to a degree if you get involved with company network groups, outings, etc. If you don't like what you are doing, mgmt works with you to help you find a career that fits within the company. If you're self motivated and smart about how you play the cards you're dealt, you can make a career for yourself at this company. You just need to be confident, there is money to be made here.

Cons

Although there are some amazing people here, there are some really lazy people with bad attitudes that stay forever with no ambition to grow their accounts or careers and mgmt seems to be ok with that across the board. These people literally do nothing and wait for people to leave to get accounts, and they get them and coast. Depending on your segment, your team, your manager it can be limiting in your growth. This is a big reason they lose talent and customers wonder why they are switching AMs every year. The base obviously can be better for AM. It goes hand in hand with attracting talent, as opposed to keeping a portion of untalented folks.

Advice to Management

For a multi-billion dollar company, you can afford to attract better talent. Managers, challenge yourself to develop talent on your team, you're wasting so much unused potential, and you wonder why you have only 5% market share. If you see an AM actually growing business, challenge them with bigger opportunities, don't just throw stuff to AMs who pad their calls for touches with 0 talk time. What does a "touch" mean if it leads to nothing. Also, you don't need to be buddies with your team and turning a blind eye. Be a manager and you'll earn respect by taking interest in their work.

3. The CDW Way

Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upon coming to CDW, I realized they have a totally different culture from any other company that I have ever worked for! They are definitely about making money, but they do it in a manner that is not full of pressure or micromanagement. I realize that CDW definitely takes good care of their employees through various opportunities to show employee appreciation, one example being renting out all of Six Flags for only CDW coworkers and their families! CDW always makes Forbe's list for "Best Places to Work", and I definitely understand why.

Cons

The downside is that I would like to get paid more.

Advice to Management

I feel that my manager is great and I have not had any bad experiences. I rarely hear about bad experiences with management and I heard it is very difficult to get fired from here. Someone would have to do absolutely nothing to get fired!!

CDW AM Review

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work atmosphere with good people and great perks. Pays well for the job you do. Also, lots of fun company events to participate in. Good work/life balance

Cons

After 4years a new pay structure kicks in making it better if you are doing well, but far worse if you have a bad sales month. Seems tough to grow within the organization once you're in a specifica roll

Advice to Management

I would say recognize the specific skills of those who work under you and work to find good fits based on that. also, please do not micromanage, most people there function very well without it simply because not working hard means less money

Solution Architect

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job security... 90s were awesome to be there... 00s started out OK, then went private again and the problems began. Management squeezed the money from the customer facing people, and pay dropped significantly for these folks. 10s, now the management is stagnant, and growth has plummeted, although they are still growing slowly because of all the existing talent. In a few years sales and profits will level out to meet shareholder expectations, and it will have been a great place to work in it's heyday.

Cons

So management heavy now that they can't get anything done. Worst part is they did this to themselves with inept management trying to protect themselves and their futures. Really sad to see from what was a fantastic place to work not too long ago.

Advice to Management

Now is not the time to sit around and pat yourselves on the back for a mediocre job done when you can still fix the problems you've created.

7. account manager

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good at using a cookie cutter approach to assure good results

Cons

9 hour work day. Micromanagement.

8. Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-Back Work Environment, Fun Culture

Cons

Low Base, Constantly reliant on others to answer questions and respond to requests

Advice to Management

Develop an easier, more efficient way to provide vendor support to sales

9. Executive Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to make a tremendous amount of money with the right dedication

Cons

You aren't supported the same across all segments and there is no ability to move across segments once you're placed. For example, the top earners in Corporate and Health Care can make 800k+ per year where the top earners in SLED make 300k or less. It's not due to their talent but simply addressable market. There needs to be a career path to allow the top performers in SLED to move to other segments

Advice to Management

Provide the same level of technical support (ISR, FSA's, AE's, ATAE's) across all segments or even allow AE's/FSA's cover multiple segments. There comes a point where it's impossible to sell enterprise type solutions without any local field support.

10. Account Manager

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Culture is the best ever!!!

Cons

Base salary is extremely low! You definitely live below the poverty line the first year.

Advice to Management

Think about raising the salary!

11. The Culture is gone

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who originally came from PS in Berbee

Cons

Executive management and sales management have lost their way due to money. I just left as a Program Manager of eight years in CDW and it is very sad to see the company you once loved now despise. I fear the culture is long gone and the new sales machine is the new norm. Clients are suffering across the board as are coworkers. CDW gets a big deal here and there and management acts as if this is utopia. They forget about the hundreds of others that are just as important and need as much care as the large projects.

Advice to Management

Come back to the original culture that made CDW great.

RSS Feed </> Embed