CDW

329 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great company culture

Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Excellent work life balance
    -Supportive Management
    -Great Benefits
    -Friendly Coworkers

Cons

I can't think of any cons at this time.

Great Place to Start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CDW is a great place to start. You get top notch training and chances to work your way into technical positions that otherwise might be closed off to you.

Cons

Salary is low and senior management hasn't changed in years. New managers keep cycling through because they have no chance of promotion.

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Overall experience is positive.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the work atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy working for the company and there are a lot of perks with the job.

Cons

Base salary is very low compared to the rest of the industry. Sometimes the account managers have to compete with fellow account managers from other segments even though at the end of the day we are all working for the same company.

Management should all be on the same page when it comes to the message that we all work for the same company and there is no need to compete with each other when it comes to who should keep an account.

Leadership Fails, Tools Lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility concerning work from home.
    Decent benefits.
    Direct supervisors very approachable.

Cons

Main leadership is lacking and communicates one stated goal while going another way.
    Claims toward caring about coworkers are less impressive when they are completely ignored during engagement surveys.
    Tools are lacking and frustrating to use.
    Many people are poor at communication skills and lack the basic sense to read an email before responding (internally).
    Pay structure is poor.

A toxic culture is cultivated when an open door policy is supposedly in place, but in effect is anything but. There is a clear marketing spin being given to employees in a way that is almost cultish.

Sales Capability

Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CDW is the best company to work for. The training and onboarding programs, as well as wide array of resources, provide employees all the tools to be successful. The pay, promotions, benefits, perks, values, and culture, make CDW the best company to be apart of.

Cons

I do not believe there are any cons to working at CDW

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a great company it's a place where you get rewarded for hard work - through help from superiors and/or through higher wages you earn from your hard work through sales. In my experience you are not micromanaged and I often times go days without seeing or speaking to my manager. This largely due to the fact that I work extremely hard and he hasn't have to motivate me to work.

Cons

Mediocrity is too commonly accepted. Unfortunately there are far too many people that do not work hard or put in the needed work to truly be successful. This isn't really a CDW thing, however as I'm sure this is common at most places in the country.

I don't have much to say here as I think most things are in a good place. I'm in sales, so I'll always say that the commission plan should always be higher!

Great company

Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong benefits and culture where co-workers are well taken care of. It's a reward for performance type of culture. A lot of perks and events to be a part of in a Tech Sales organization.

Cons

Still a large company and the machine is still a machine.

Continue promoting from within, but also let our vendor partners have access to the CDW employee pool as well.

There is not a lot of support and movement from current role.

Current Employee - Sales Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location is nice, right downtown by the river. Benefits are OK, office culture is usually decent depending on your floor. A few lunch options right in the building so you don't have to walk outside on rainy or snowy/cold days to eat.

Cons

In my current role, Sales Manager Assistant, there is no room for growth. They keep you in this spot for years and then you realize you have no where to go but outside of CDW. The raises in this position are laughable. The amount of work I do each day makes is almost impossible for me to take a lunch. This position is hourly so we have to take a lunch, I clock out and work and clock in and work. Never get away from my desk. Their is not a lot of team work here, many of the people on my team will not help. If they do help you they will talk about how stupid you are behind your back and to your manager, so it's not worth asking for help. No one really cares about you here when you're the assistant...

Management should know how to run the reports too, so they can help us if needed. Management should have a monthly meeting with each employee to check in. Management should find solutions for over-worked employees instead of just offering over-time.

Relatively Good experience

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance mostly, great team members

Cons

Pay well below the market unless you are in sales warning good commission. Poor recognition

Actually act on feedback from employees